Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

I was trying to find a map that showed all these fires out that way and came up empty. Is there smoke in Boulder due to these fires? Is Boulder in jeopardy if they continue? Seems like a very bad situation for many people. Hope it gets under control soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
There are no fires near Boulder. Smoke depends on the prevailing winds. Last night the wind switched over to the SW and the smoke was pretty bad from the enormous fire in that part of the state. It's not quite as bad this morning. It's a day to day/hour by hour thing.
Here's one map from a local news station #COFire Colorado wildfire maps and resources to use, embed in blogs | 9news.com
You can also look at the many webcams around the state. Easy to find them - just Google.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
This year fires are pretty far away.

Last year, when winds were blowing from North, you could smell the smoke from High Park fire. Also, during Flagstaff fire last year, all of the Southwest Boulder was under pre-evacuation notice. The smoke was pretty dense as well. Mesa Laboratory of NCAR (the iconic red futuristic building you might have seen on Boulder photos) was evacuated.

I wasn't here during 2010 Fourmile canyon fire, but my co-worker who lives very close to the site of the fire, but whose house was not directly affected, told me her house, especially all fabric furnishings, smelled of smoke for months.

So, in short, wildfires can and do affect Boulder, but this year it is not a direct effect (so far).

Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Thanks for the responses. I will by cycling everywhere in Boulder soon on a visit, and wonder how hard it is going to be with smoke. I am from Pittsburgh, so the smoke there will probably be light compared to what I am used to.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
The smoke isn't too bad in Boulder. It has made for some brilliant sunsets. If you haven't ridden here before, the altitude might effect you more than the smoke.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM

13 posts, read 14,596 times
Google search "colorado fire map" actually came up with a nice interactive google map of current fires... it was like the 14th one down on the search page. How is it where u live now? Any fire issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: