Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanr View Post
... sometimes it takes me 40 minutes to drive 5 miles just to get out of Boulder.
huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
huh?
I believe it, and have been through it.

OP - I live in Denver for two reasons (as a software engineer):
1. I can't afford Boulder
2. I wanted a bigger city, since we moved from NYC
oh and 3. I can't afford Boulder

Denver and Boulder are getting expensive. I won't pretend to know much about the "why" Boulder is so expensive but I know that it is - housing is the majority of expenses. For the vibe, it is a super liberal mecca where you can smoke a joint on the street but get attacked by a mob if you don't recycle. It's a place where top athletes, college kids, and older hippies all coexist (using those symbols you see on the cars everywhere - you know the stickers I am talking about ) happily. It's an ... interesting place. I'd love to live there, but see 1,2,and 3 above.

On paper, Boulder has everything you want but the cost will be prohibitive. You may want to consider other cities / towns along the front range for that reason alone.

My two recommendations are:
1. See if you can realistically afford it
2. Visit for yourself - spend a week here and see if you like the vibe. Check out some of the towns near Boulder such as Louisville, Broomfield etc. I hear that Broomfield is just a bedroom community but Louisville is an awesome little town IMO. but definitely visit and see for yourself.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:42 PM

497 posts, read 427,820 times
ahhh, yeah it is (spoken by a Boulderite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Boulder is not a suburb of Denver!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
I always tell people it is. Really... other than a man-made greenbelt, it runs together with Denver 'burbs. I suppose it's subjective, but Boulder gets all the Denver news, and you can be downtown Denver in 30 minutes. It's as much a suburb of Denver as Golden is. If you take Baseline east over to Louisville and Lafayette, its mostly built up the entire way, and they're considered Denver suburbs.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I always tell people it is. Really... other than a man-made greenbelt, it runs together with Denver 'burbs. I suppose it's subjective, but Boulder gets all the Denver news, and you can be downtown Denver in 30 minutes. It's as much a suburb of Denver as Golden is. If you take Baseline east over to Louisville and Lafayette, its mostly built up the entire way, and they're considered Denver suburbs.
Agreed.

Boulder doesn't just look like a suburb, it now feels like one as well. I've always liked Boulder, but the cool laid back vibe the town had in the 90's is long gone. To be fair, everyplace on the Front Range has gotten more congested, but it seems like Boulder is in rush hour 24/7. Not just the streets but the mountain parks as well.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 PM

962 posts, read 630,469 times
Quote:
Yes it is. It's only 25 miles away from Denver, and not much more than a half-hour drive from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area