Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM

42 posts, read 99,278 times

Advertisements

I long ago considered moving to Boulder and would love to get there, but ruled it out awhile ago because rent seems higher than I would like - but I figured I'd ask and see if I was wrong to do so. I know Boulder is a cycling mecca. I want to live in a part of the city that is walkable and bike-able and near downtown and the heart of the action - but I am hoping to get a decent 1-2 bedroom apartment or rent a 1-2 bedroom condo or small house. My range I'm willing to pay for rent is between $500 and $800 with a max of $900. Am I correct in saying that that isn't possible without being much further out? I also don't want to live surrounded by partying students all the time. Any thoughts. Like I said - I love the thought of Boulder and would love to live there, but I think it's going to be too expensive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,818,667 times
I can't imagine anything there in your price range, especially the desirable places that are walkable - everybody wants the same "good stuff" in every city.

Best I can do is suggest padmapper.com and craigslist with the usual caveats about scammers on CL.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM

17,685 posts, read 29,640,200 times
$595 for sharing 1 bath among 3 bedrooms next to the Sigma Nu house, LOL

Up your budget to $1000 and use the Padmapper

Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM

278 posts, read 307,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
$595 for sharing 1 bath among 3 bedrooms next to the Sigma Nu house, LOL

Up your budget to $1000 and use the Padmapper
Downtown condos can be twice that. Boulder isnt walkable completely...if you live on the hill its a bit of a trek to downtown but a biker could bike it very quickly, five, ten minutes to Pearl street? From chataqua area a bit farther still, but doesnt sound like you can afford that anyway. Prices on the hill can be $600 for a one bedroom with six minutes of hot water, $800 for a motel-style one bedroom apartment slapped onto the back of a house, etc. lots of shared housing, drugs, drinking and noise. $700 for a bedroom in a shared place with two or three roommates out by 28th street, and north Boulder is all home owners i believe, with no rentals. These price quotes are from real scenarios of mine or friends of mine during 2000-2007.

Table mesa has some affordable shared housing but i dont know the specifics and it isnt close to downtown but with a bike maybe not an issue.

You will likely not find a two bedroom or any type of condo for the prices youve listed, sorry! In Broomfield, maybe, but not in Boulder. One bedrooms in your price range will be far from luxe and will be found mostly on the hill, doubtfully anywhere else.

But hey it is a great place to be a cyclist. You can bike down to Eben G Fine park and head up the canyon toward Eldora.

You can put your bike on the buses as well, and those will even take you to downtown Denver.

Another option is to head up the canyon and live in more remote enclaves. Nederland, Ward, etc must be heaven for outdoor sports enthusiasts but are also not covered by state highway funding for snowplows, fixing potholes, etc, and a good 15, 20 miles outside Boulder.

There is also Lyons a tiny town with its own microbrewery/bar that is further west and heads towards Estes Park. Not sure if yclists are allowed in Estes Park but its famed for Elk Bugling.

Other places in Colorado to check out, if you dont need much by way of cosmepolitan life: Golden (kayakers rejoice), Steamboat Springs, Glenwood Springs, Durango. Cant speak to housing costs but they are all outdoorsy places.

Last edited by HeyHowdy; 12-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM

278 posts, read 307,482 times
Keep in mind too as a college student you dont mind living in shtty housing because youre either asleep, drunk, or not at home. Thats how so many of us "could afford" to live there. Still others had parents who bought them a nice two bedroom condo, the kids stayed there for four years (or five - hey at CU your second senior year is not uncommon!), mom and dad sold the condo. (Which makes more sense than renting if you can afford to do it).

Anyone with kids, who works from home or who plans on entertaining on a regular basis might have a hard time finding a place to live that they find tolerable without a sizeable chunk of change.

Then again, maybe you get up with the sun, go to sleep with the sun, make your own soap which you take down to the river with you for your weekly bath, and get all your food from your job at whole foods. Its "possible" to live in Boulder affordably, but that means different things to different people!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,109,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post

Another option is to head up the canyon and live in more remote enclaves. Nederland, Ward, etc must be heaven for outdoor sports enthusiasts but are also not covered by state highway funding for snowplows, fixing potholes, etc, and a good 15, 20 miles outside Boulder.

There is also Lyons a tiny town with its own microbrewery/bar that is further west and heads towards Estes Park. Not sure if yclists are allowed in Estes Park but its famed for Elk Bugling.
CDOT maintains highways 119, 72, 7 -- they are plowed, paved, potholes repaired, etc. If you mean the county roads and neighborhood roads it's up to the counties to maintain them.

Cyclists are allowed in Estes Park. If you meant Rocky Mountain National Park, cyclists are allowed in the park.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 AM

42 posts, read 99,278 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. It sounds like Boulder is going to be too expensive and I was right to rule it out. I appreciate the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area