Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 PM

21 posts, read 46,513 times

Advertisements

I have read almost all the posts related to Louisville and although some of my questions are similar, I am looking for a fresh perspective because 1. our move is coming up very quickly here and 2. some posts' responses are older. I am wondering if any local residents can help me out with my inquiries....

I've been watching the market in Louisville for sometime now and everything gets scooped up so quickly, purchase and rental. We are planning a move for March 1st and although we wanted to purchase a home, I am leaning towards renting since I think we will learn so much more about the area once we've been living there for a while.

1. Has anyone been in a similar situation....started out renting and then found your home to buy? Was it much easier since you were there because you could act much more quickly?

2. We have 3 children, K, 4th and 5th. I'd like to live in the area where my 5th grader will go to the middle school. Our school today is K-8 and I would like them to experience 'middle school' as I did.

3. Did anyone transfer their children into the schools mid-year? How did the school handle it and did your kids feel comfortable, liking the school and feeling welcome from their classmates? Any tips?

4. Are there other ways to find out about homes that are for rent, besides craigslist - or is that the main source the locals use for renting out their homes?

5. Does anyone know how often rentals become available in the old town area? Is this area full of school aged children? Some of those homes have such charm.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Try padmapper.com. They also have an app.

I think renting first is a good idea, especially with the market so tight right now. Maybe have a good idea where you think you want to be so you might not need to switch schools.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,073 times
elkoda-

We moved to S Boulder in August, and were in the same dilemma about renting or buying. We decided that the rental market is as tight as the housing market so we might as well buy. Since we have been here the inventory is still tight and the prices have only risen.

Are you likely to move out of Louisville after renting or is Louisville definitely the place, but you might move to different neighborhoods?

A good real estate agent should be able to find you a rental. It will be pricey though.

Are you planning to rent for one year or just until the summer?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks jkcoop. I'll check padmapper.com

Brown Dog US - Louisville will be the town. We do not want to move the kids once we get them into their schools. So, from that, I know what areas of town I need to focus on - wanting to, at least, make sure they attend the middle school instead of the K-8.

My struggle is finding a house that we love. I really don't want to move again. We got similar advice that with the rising prices, it might be best to just purchase now. We definitely would, if it was an appealing home to us and in the school district. We don't want to max out on our price range either. We are not afraid of a home that needs some work, just good bones.

I realize that you can choice into a school in BVSD, but I would rather just move within the boundaries and be set.

Were you able to find a house you are really happy with or did you figure you could always sell it and move since the market is so good?

Do you have a realtor you would recommend? ( MOD EDIT: Realtor recommendations can only be sent by DM, not in forums.)

We can rent for one year. I'd be ok with that. Within that year, though, I'd like to buy.
Thank you for responding.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-18-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Don't bet on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoda View Post
you can choice into a school in BVSD
In theory, yes. In reality, for a highly rated school, no.
Pick the schools and then look at the BVSD maps.
Elementary School Web Boundary Map
Middle School Web Boundary Map

Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,865 times
If you want to avoid K-8, check links davebarnes provided and avoid being zoned for Monarch K-8 (although, from what I've heard, they are pretty good). Your only choice in Louisville will be living in the Louisville Middle attendance area.
When we were moving 3 years ago, we wanted to end up in Louisville, but it never happened, due to a tight rental market - we just couldn't find a rental and buying was not an option for us then. We ended up in Gunbarrel, for both rental, and later purchase. However, we looked at Louisville Middle for our then 7th grader. I've exchanged emails with their counselors, they invited him to come get tested for advanced science and advanced Language arts. They later called me and were asking me if we were moving to their attendance area. Overall, they made a very good impression on me.
Regarding open enrollment: from what we found, it's easier for certain High Schools, but may be pretty tight for charter schools, and elementary and middle schools.
Our 7th grader finished his 7th grade in Ohio, but we moved our 1st grader mid-year, and it was pretty smooth. I think moving mid-year in elementary school is not a big deal. Middle school or High school - you probably want them to finish the year.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,073 times
What price range are you looking at?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 AM

599 posts, read 953,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoda View Post
Thanks jkcoop. I'll check padmapper.com

Brown Dog US - Louisville will be the town. We do not want to move the kids once we get them into their schools. So, from that, I know what areas of town I need to focus on - wanting to, at least, make sure they attend the middle school instead of the K-8.

My struggle is finding a house that we love. I really don't want to move again. We got similar advice that with the rising prices, it might be best to just purchase now. We definitely would, if it was an appealing home to us and in the school district. We don't want to max out on our price range either. We are not afraid of a home that needs some work, just good bones.

I realize that you can choice into a school in BVSD, but I would rather just move within the boundaries and be set.

Were you able to find a house you are really happy with or did you figure you could always sell it and move since the market is so good?

Do you have a realtor you would recommend? ( MOD EDIT: Realtor recommendations can only be sent by DM, not in forums.)

We can rent for one year. I'd be ok with that. Within that year, though, I'd like to buy.
Thank you for responding.

Depending on where you are moving from, you may be surprised to know that the school year ends May 30 in BVSD, so moving here in March is putting your kids closer to the end of the year than you might think. There will also be a week long Spring Break in there.

For that matter, you may be shocked to know that the number of days kids are actually in classes in Colorado is among the lowest of any state, and school funding is near the bottom.

BVSD is definitely the best district on the Front Range, but if you are coming from a state that actually values education, prepare to be disappointed.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
If you want to avoid K-8, check links davebarnes provided and avoid being zoned for Monarch K-8 (although, from what I've heard, they are pretty good). Your only choice in Louisville will be living in the Louisville Middle attendance area.
When we were moving 3 years ago, we wanted to end up in Louisville, but it never happened, due to a tight rental market - we just couldn't find a rental and buying was not an option for us then. We ended up in Gunbarrel, for both rental, and later purchase. However, we looked at Louisville Middle for our then 7th grader. I've exchanged emails with their counselors, they invited him to come get tested for advanced science and advanced Language arts. They later called me and were asking me if we were moving to their attendance area. Overall, they made a very good impression on me.
Regarding open enrollment: from what we found, it's easier for certain High Schools, but may be pretty tight for charter schools, and elementary and middle schools.
Our 7th grader finished his 7th grade in Ohio, but we moved our 1st grader mid-year, and it was pretty smooth. I think moving mid-year in elementary school is not a big deal. Middle school or High school - you probably want them to finish the year.
My kids went to LMS, we found it to be a very good school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Depending on where you are moving from, you may be surprised to know that the school year ends May 30 in BVSD, so moving here in March is putting your kids closer to the end of the year than you might think. There will also be a week long Spring Break in there.

For that matter, you may be shocked to know that the number of days kids are actually in classes in Colorado is among the lowest of any state, and school funding is near the bottom.

BVSD is definitely the best district on the Front Range, but if you are coming from a state that actually values education, prepare to be disappointed.
Actually, Colorado's school year is measured in hours, and at least 162 days. You are aware there are some school districts that have gone to a four day week with a longer school day? Boulder Valley's contract is for 176 school days.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...58187178,d.aWc

This is a very old link, Length of school year and selected statistics on mathematics education for students in public schools, by state or jurisdiction: 2000, 2002 and 2003, but it shows some variety in length of school year.

My kids both went to college out of state, and found themselves well prepared. One now has a doctorate and one a master's.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone. Although my search in Colorado was gravitating to the schools with the better test scores, I am aware that a school, or district, can make significant shifts in scores up and down over a timespan. I want a solid community for our family.

Our budget could go higher, but I'd like to stay under $400k. We wouldn't mind renovating a home, if it has good bones. Our rental budget...I'd like to stay at $2000 or below. Rent in Louisville is as high or higher than good neighborhoods in Chicago, which sort of shocks me. It also seems like rental ads more often than not state 'no pets.' Is Louisville a dog friendly town? It seemed like it from the 'dogs of old town Louisville' on the oldtown website and the dog park (is there more than one?)

I see the moderator edited my post. If anyone has a realtor recommendation that could help us find a rental and eventual purchase, please DM me. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area