Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM

21 posts, read 46,483 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I've been posting quite a bit as we look forward to our move in the next month or so. Since we have not found a home to purchase yet, we are looking at rentals for the time being.

Two observations. I am not used to either of these, thus why I am curious.

1. The ability to rent with a dog is hard to come by in rentals, even single family homes. If they are allowed, they usually say under 30 lbs. I've mostly looked in Louisville, Lafayette and Broomfield. Are these dog friendly towns? When I've mentioned my dog is 70 lbs, the landlord will comment back that they just cannot allow dogs.

2. Rentals are listed as 'available immediately' or in a couple weeks. I was anticipating that landlords need at least a month notice and would advertise their rentals a month or two ahead of time. It seems like a rental comes up, listed as available next week and then it is not available any longer. Is that how the planning goes for the rental properties? It is hard to plan an out of state move on two week's notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 5,042,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoda View Post
I've mostly looked in Louisville, Lafayette and Broomfield. Are these dog friendly towns?

2. It seems like a rental comes up, listed as available next week and then it is not available any longer. Is that how the planning goes for the rental properties?
Out of the three cities Louisville is the least dog friendly. They have a breed ban and most dog lovers consider that to be utterly ridiculous. I will never live in Louisville for that reason.

Lafayette allows up to 3 dogs and 3 cats per residence. That is an excellent policy for an animal lover.

Broomfield allows up to 4 dogs/cats per residence. This means that the total number of dogs and cats together cannot be above 4. So a little different than Lafayette. But still not bad.

Dogs are very popular in Colorado. That means that rentals that allow them don't come available often nor are they available for long. You may need to snap up any place you find that you like and allows your dog regardless of your moving schedule and then move in at your leisure. You'll be paying rent for some time that it isn't occupied but that might be the only way to move from out of state with the limited availability of rentals here.

Good luck with the move.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM

mic111, thank you. That was great information AND advice. I'm curious, what breeds are banned in Louisville, do you know? I just tried to find that on their city website but I could not find it.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM

I did find these minutes from a council meeting in 2010. It mentions a ban on pit bulls.
http://www.louisvilleco.gov/Portals/...010minutes.pdf

I emailed the contact on the dog registration page for more information and to inquire if other breeds are banned. It lists nothing on the pet registration information page of the city website about the banning of specific breeds.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 5,042,481 times
They ban only pit bulls but the concern among the dog community is that a city that will ban one breed will ban more if they get the urge to. Because I love dogs, particularly mixed breed dogs, I will never live anywhere that bans any breeds. All it takes is one crack pot that thinks my dog looks like x breed and I either have to move or they kill my dog.

Here are the dog regulations for the cities your considering:
http://www.boulderhumane.org/online-...nd-regulations

Here is the list of cities with breed bans. I don't know if it is kept up to date so always best to check the current regs. with any city in Colorado.
http://www.animalrescueoftherockies....y?PageID=12447

Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,942,200 times
It's tough to find a rental that takes big dogs all along the front range, and it's even harder from a distance.

Are you trying to find a place in for a specific elementary school or within X miles of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area