Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the boulder area within the next year from Texas but am not sure what to expect as far as jobs are concerned. Compared to TX, my job search (which I've been doing for about 1.5 yrs) has yielded little to no positive results. Every job posting from the state govt has been limited to Colorado residents- is there a reason for this?! It's beyond frustrating for someone with a good Masters degree (social services field) just looking to move for personal reasons.

Is it just my imagination or is the market really that poor up there?

Also, are there smaller communities near boulder with affordable/reasonable rent prices?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I can't speak towards jobs in your field. As far as rent and communities, this question has been asked a ton lately. Do a search or just look at the recent threads. You can search for Louisville, Longmont, Lafayette, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM

356 posts, read 624,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo789 View Post
I'm looking to move to the boulder area within the next year from Texas but am not sure what to expect as far as jobs are concerned. Compared to TX, my job search (which I've been doing for about 1.5 yrs) has yielded little to no positive results. Every job posting from the state govt has been limited to Colorado residents- is there a reason for this?! It's beyond frustrating for someone with a good Masters degree (social services field) just looking to move for personal reasons.

Is it just my imagination or is the market really that poor up there?

Also, are there smaller communities near boulder with affordable/reasonable rent prices?

Thanks!!
There are many locals with a Masters Desgree who are having a hard time securing employment. Nature of the beast here.

There are more affordable housing prices outside of Boulder, but that's putting the cart before the horse. Secure a job first then look into the housing situation.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
There are a lot of people from all over the country who want to move to Boulder or Colorado. The number of applications is easily in the 100's and sometimes 1000's. There is no way for HR to read all of the resumes, so they cull them first. One of the easiest factors to use is whether they are local.

Also, the social services field in the Boulder area is full of CU-Boulder grads. It's going to be tough to get your foot in the door close to a large college like that. Maybe looking in the Denver area would be better.

The overall job market is strong in Boulder/Denver/Fort Collins. I don't know how strong social services is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area