Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times

Advertisements

Yes, Boulder is the San Francisco of CO.

It was a great place to go to college and is a beautiful area, but I would never live there and definitely not raise a family there. Some love it, but I'll leave it.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 19,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
average home price in Boulder is $365,000 average price in Aspen $834,000.
Actually average price in Boulder is 536,000 according to an article written about the housing prices for all of the Big 12 schools which Boulder ws the most expensive. I think your average is for the county. Still quite a bit less than Aspen. :-)

Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,077 times
Smile Boulder is LA of the Rockies

Hi Hannah - Ever been to Los Angeles? Do you like when people are pretentious, overly concerned about what others think, often high on some kind of substance, or simply hang out with you because you might have something they want (like in your pants, a date with your best friend, or a promotion at work)? Welcome to Boulder! Sure, there are some cool people in Boulder (like everywhere, including LA), but, each year, 38 thousand college students show up, many from out of state who are more interested in partying than anything real. Also, there are a number of under forty people who are interested in simply keeping the party going (via a trust fund). Fact: there are more dogs than children in Boulder. Am I against partying? Absolutely not. But selfish, superficial people who are always seeking the next best escape get pretty old, pretty fast. The university in Boulder is funded mostly by defense industry money--no lie. Yet, the city still bills itself as 'liberal' (due to the liberal use of alcohol and drugs, perhaps). My suggestion? Try one of the outlying areas near Boulder that might have families and neighborhoods that are emotionally accountable and interested in knowing and caring for you and your family as people--Louisville, Broomfield, Longmont, Greeley, Westminister, etc. No guarantees, but you'll probably get more real estate for your money and less worries about your kids being exposed to sex, drugs and alcohol before the age of 12. And your neighbors as well as the friends your kids make might be people you'd want to call family since they probably won't be working some kind of angle. They might even help consistently mirror the emotional vibe your children put out so your children can grow up to become emotionally mature, empathetic, healthy human beings, themselves. All in my humble opinion, of course.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,175 times
My two nephews went to CU at Boulder. Entered college as pretty straight kids who always worked for what they wanted. Left CU as raging liberals. In the 7 years since they graduated neither one has kept one job for more than two months. They are always looking for an angle to make a quick buck and avoid real effort. Keep your kids out of Boulder!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
My two nephews went to CU at Boulder. Entered college as pretty straight kids who always worked for what they wanted. Left CU as raging liberals. In the 7 years since they graduated neither one has kept one job for more than two months. They are always looking for an angle to make a quick buck and avoid real effort. Keep your kids out of Boulder!
I seriously doubt that is Boulder's fault. That is twentysomething behavior, to a certain extent.

Since this is an old thread, I think Hannah probably found her niche by now, at least I hope so. Boulder's attributes could be debated through time and eternity. It is many things. It even has a conservative element. I would say Boulder thinks it is more sophisticated than it really is. When the "Best of Boulder" comes out in the local papers (you know, the rankings of best restaurant, best this, best that) a lot of chain stores get top ranking. Colorado as a whole is very isolated and that makes for a more "stuck on yourself" attitude, IMO.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 19,555 times
Boulder has the highest heroine addiction rate per capita than any other place in Colorado. Aspen is beautiful but very, very expensive.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,967 times
Default Expensive cities

Both Boulder and Aspen are very expensive. Try Longmont, Fort Collins, Berthoud and Loveland if you want a foothills community that's more livable. Fort Collins has some great schools, too.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
I visited my friend (a Boulder native) there last year. Beautiful town right near the mountains. According to my friend, Boulder is just very clique-ish. It's hard to integrate because everyone has their own little group of friends they've had since they were all in grade-school together, and they do everything together and generally don't welcome newcomers. She says to join lots of activities-type groups to meet new people if you move to Boulder. The university pretty much runs the town, and because of all the college students it's hard to find a job if you're young, inexperienced, and don't have degrees.

Other observations I made from my visit: Boulder is very liberal. As in granola-munching, prairie-dog-loving, natural-fiber-wearing, yoga-practicing, hybrid-car-driving, companion-animal-having, LIBERAL. Despite this, there are no black people there. It seriously creeped me out afterwhile, seeing all these blond, blue-eyed Aryan youths, and not a single black person or even anyone with a tan. Were there never any black people there to begin with? Are they hiding them in a basement somewhere? I dunno. Freaked me out though.
Hmmm......maybe Boulder needs some real Aryans--------the original ones from India.

Hitler's followers stole the 'Aryan' name as well as the Swastika from the East Indian Hindu's

Old 08-23-2007, 08:22 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Despite this, there are no black people there. It seriously creeped me out afterwhile, seeing all these blond, blue-eyed Aryan youths, and not a single black person or even anyone with a tan. Were there never any black people there to begin with? Are they hiding them in a basement somewhere? I dunno. Freaked me out though.
Colorado as a whole does not have many black people. It has been that way since I can remember. I only remember one while I went to high school. You will find more minorities (funny term, since whites now make up less than 50% of the US population) in the bigger cities. You can find minorities in Boulder, but most are likely to be CU students.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,691 times
I just moved back to the Boulder area after being away for 13 years. So far all I see are very friendly people, a beautiful town with unlimited options for things to do, and gorgeous scenery. I haven't been this happy since I left those many years ago. I don't understand all the negative comments about the town. It's absolutely the best place I've ever lived and I'm overjoyed to be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area