Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,418 times

Advertisements

Hi all! This is such a helpful group and I'm glad to have found you. I've searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my questions, so I created an account to ask.

I'm wondering what the pulse of the community is surrounding fracking in Boulder County right now. How do YOU feel about the recent bans, counter suits, and drilling encroaching into residential areas? Does this topic come up in conversations with your neighbors? Do you not give it a second thought?

Longmont: Longmont fracking ban to go before Colorado Supreme Court - Longmont Times-Call

Lafayette: Boulder District judge tosses Lafayette's fracking ban - The Denver Post

Erie (Weld County): Erie rejects fracking freeze - The Denver Post

Drilling map of CO: Map of Oil & Natural Gas Fracking Health & Safety Issues

Our small family of three will be relocating to Longmont this winter. We LOVE Colorado and are very excited to make this move. I just wanted to get your thoughts on this (new to me) oil and gas drilling topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Here is the Wikipedia on the Wattenberg Gas Field. You can use the map to see where there is a potential for fracking.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:21 PM

Thank you for the link.
Do you know of other gas fields or areas where companies hold drilling rights? I found this map of drilling that might be coming to Arapahoe County, which doesn't seem to be part of the Wattenberg Gas Field.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
The Wattenberg Field is the one that impacts Longmont.

I don't know which field is in Arapahoe County. You probably would get more info in the Denver forum.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM

49 posts, read 54,509 times
Anybody else out there who just doesn't get how fracking is even legal? Has any entity even studied the long-term impacts of pumping fracking chemicals into the ground? There should be much caution applied, considering our past of creating Superfund sites.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:42 PM

I know, it is scary stuff.
Anyone else have links to share?

Drilling map.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 AM

49 posts, read 54,509 times
Great map. It's interesting to zoom out to the national scale and see where states let their people down...

Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,341 times
Default Relocating to Erie. Concerned about Fracking

I know this is a controversial topic. But I am not here to start a "fracking war".

My wife and I are in the process of moving to Erie. We decided to purchase a home near the Red Hawk Elementary School. However, after doing some research, I just found out that Erie is an active fracking area, and this concerns us very much. We currently live in Florida, so we have no experience in this issue. In general, how does the fracking industry affect the quality of health and life of the residents? What's your experience so far?

Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonglass View Post
I know this is a controversial topic. But I am not here to start a "fracking war".

My wife and I are in the process of moving to Erie. We decided to purchase a home near the Red Hawk Elementary School. However, after doing some research, I just found out that Erie is an active fracking area, and this concerns us very much. We currently live in Florida, so we have no experience in this issue. In general, how does the fracking industry affect the quality of health and life of the residents? What's your experience so far?
Can you pull out of the purchase? Erie seems to make all the wrong decisions for it's residents so even though housing is cheaper there I would never recommend anyone buy in Erie. You never know what they will approve next.

Apparently the parents protested like crazy and got the safest possible fracking operation near the school but even so, if there ever is an industrial accident it will tank your home value. There are so many better choices.

Fracking Booms Near Schools With Minority Students | ThinkProgress

Old 01-02-2016, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,341 times
thanks for the response mic111. we are not scheduled to close on the home until late January. however, pulling out of the deal may cause us to lose our earnest money deposit =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area