Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM

146 posts, read 298,859 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there was anybody here who has moved to the Boulder area from the UK. If so, how was the move? What do you miss about the old country, and what do you prefer about CO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:52 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
This older thread may have some info for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 AM

146 posts, read 298,859 times
Thanks for the link -- some helpful stuff on there. Anyone more recent able to chime in?

Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM

15 posts, read 22,402 times
"Resistance is...oh, nevermind."

Ok, prob got that a million times on here, but I just had to be a colonial. : )

I'm looking to move as well, so doubly useless am I for giving advice.

Good luck tho.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 14,229 times
Hi, We are looking to do it too. We have a family of 5. Have you made the move yet?

Old 09-11-2015, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 55,689 times
We did it 24 years ago.

We visited a friend in Boulder, fell in love with the town, and moved out 6 months later. Since then we have never for a moment doubted our decision.

Things we love: Dependable weather, fantastic outdoors, weather that allows us to enjoy that fantastic outdoors even in the midst of winter, a town small enough to love yet large enough to meet our needs, and people who share our optimism and love for being here.
Seriously - a big part of the joy of being here is that we are surrounded by liberal-minded folks who enjoy their surroundings.
We also love the great schools - thank you BVSD and your fantastic teachers. When I hear newcomers wondering which school in BVSD is 'best', I can only think how lucky we are to have such high quality choices. They are all excellent (and we have experienced a few due to several moves in the area.)

What do I miss? Sometime I miss the beer, the pubs, the sense of history around every corner.

Then I remember why I was pleased to leave. Apart from the crap weather, the sickening drunkenness and petty violence on the streets after the pubs closed, the need to remember to lock every door at night, the multiple thefts of my cars etc etc.

In the old days my biggest gripe was making sure I has a steady supply of PG Tips. I've gone from blackmailing visitors to bring it when they visit, to buying it in bulk from Amazon. Problem solved.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:28 PM

17,665 posts, read 29,540,339 times
They drive on the wrong side of the road in Boulder.
They have exiled many superfluous Us to Canada.
The beer is too cold.
The sunshine is too bright.
Too many people have sparkling teeth. And, all of them.
They continue to use archaic measurements even though NIST has a large presence.
Cows fart meth-ane instead of me-thane.
No one owns a brolly.
They think Vauxhall makes clothes or something.
Forget about finding Wheatabix.

Do not come here.
They even think you pronounce the T in Lord Voldemort.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,517 times
Moved out from the UK 15 years ago and no regrets. Vastly better weather, lots of untamed wilderness and outdoor recreation, friendlier people, reasonably decent beer, cheaper cost of living, and higher salaries (for most professionals). Boulder's politics are considered extreme left wing over here, which makes it pleasantly centrist by UK standards. House prices are crazy inside Boulder city limits, but more affordable in nearby surrounding areas (Louisville, Longmont, Superior, Broomfield, Lafayette, etc). Actually scratch that, compared to the UK, prices in Boulder are a bargain.

The unavailability of Weetabix and Marmite was a worry for a while, but thankfully Amazon will now deliver a crate of either to my doorstep with less than 48 hours notice. Huzzah!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 14,229 times
Default Boulder

We are seriously considering Boulder. Will probably make the move August. Our price range is $600k and can't seem to get much in Boulder (need 4 bed) for that. We like things to do and a community feel to where we live (nice downtown area) rather than a sprawling place with no real centre. I was recommended Louisville but am concerned it could be too quiet for what we are looking for and with teenage girls who like lots going on!.

We are also considering Lakewood, Littleton area but my gut feeling is Boulder or close vicinity will be preferred. We're coming to visit and scout the places out a bit in April.

What are differences between these areas (Louisville, Longmont, Superior, Broomfield, Lafayette, )

Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,517 times
Boulder has become crazy expensive in the last year or so (hard to find decent 4-bed single family houses much under $1M). And it has a bunch of pretty dated 50s and 60 housing. But it's definitely more "happening" than any of the other places you mention.

Superior and Broomfield are very much newly developed suburbia - cookie cutter residential housing and big malls. But for $600k you can buy a nice big modern house, and they're only a 10-15 minute drive from Boulder. And teenagers like malls, right? Louisville and Lafayette are older areas and have small downtowns. Lafayette feels more rural than Louisville.

Longmont is a real town with a main street, and a town center. It's a mix of older houses and new suburban developments and is a lot more affordable than Boulder. Lots of people like it though it feels a bit more sprawling than Boulder to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area