Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 9,001 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Louisville from Philadelphia; she'd be working in Broomfield and me in Denver. Kids are in 2 and 6 grade. Looking for houses under 600k and would love input; Louisville seems to be the best option as boulder commute to Denver just seems undoable. Would love to get a sense from others who have made a similar move, where you've landed, how the bus to Denver is on a daily basis and anything else. We spend nearly every vacation in CO and can't see any downside to escaping the east coast grind and lack out of year round outdoor lifestyle. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:27 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,543,400 times
Is there a particular attraction to Louisville ?
Are you ignoring Superior, Lafayette, Broomfield, Westminster, even Arvada for any special reason ??
A 600K budget can put you in some pretty nice neighborhoods.
How about some specifics ( like cross streets) on work locations so suggestions on specific neighborhoods could be made ?
RE bus, does one or both of you need bus to work ?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 PM

399 posts, read 815,898 times
No preference of schools or neighborhoods?

Old 09-06-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for helping me hone in. We don't need a bus but have read the drive into downtown is lousy. And Superior to downtown Denver is 36 minutes Via express lanes. We like Louisville because of the old town area in particular (ideally we could walk there--we are used to that where we live in Philly) and very good public schools and proximity to Boulder. We could do Superior but to be honest don't love the rocky flats proximity; broomfield Westminster and Arvada are nice but not quite our style. Thank you!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 PM

656 posts, read 1,337,592 times
Those express lanes are going to get pretty pricey. May want to reconsider that notion.
Louisville to downtown is still a bit of a hike... granted, not as bad as, say, Colorado Springs, but that 36 minute ETA.. especially if you're commuting during rush hour.... I'd say is a bit optimistic... too much so.
Buses... HA! Fine for getting from point a in downtown to point b in downtown, but for long commutes? If considered going that route from my home in Broomfield to my work off of Pecos, and that 15 minute drive would've amounted to a four hour bus ride.
I like the old town area of Louisville, as well, but one thing I've always noticed when you live right by something like that.. the appeal is always high at first, but gets old or ordinary after a while. I live like.. what? 20 minutes from Boulder? So going to Boulder isn't such a big deal now, whereas it was a huge deal when I lived in Colorado Springs. The gold loses its luster over time, as the adage goes.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM

36 minutes is what the bus schedule says from superior to denver (bus using express lanes).

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
What do you want to know about Louisville? I have lived there for the past 32 years. Great place to raise a family!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 5,025,053 times
If you choose Louisville try to not live too close to Main Street. The newly revitalized area has residents complaining about noise, trash and parking (top of page 2).
http://www.louisvilleco.gov/Portals/...013minutes.pdf

However, I think a few block off the main drag would be OK.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,935,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickshrimpton View Post
We could do Superior but to be honest don't love the rocky flats proximity
Obviously you need to do your own research and decide what is right for you and your family in regard to Rocky Flats, but I don't think Superior was/is impacted by it.

Here is the wikipedia article about the contamination.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Would love to know more about schools in Louisville. Have heard great things but how are class sizes, teachers etc? We are paying a lot for private schools now and would love to avoid if possible in CO. Also would love to hear any thoughts on Louisville v Golden. Love the light rail into Denver and relatively easy commute to Broomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area