Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been offered a job in Louisville and I'm very excited about moving from Brooklyn. We'd like to eventually buy but will probably end up renting first. I've been scouring sites for rentals and haven't really come up with anything desirable. Is there a best site to use for finding a rental? Should we use a realtor for this? I'd like something with wood floors and charm. Small is fine as long as there are 2 bedrooms. As for neighborhoods, this will probably be dictated by school zone. I've heard Coal Creek and Monarch K-8 are wonderful. I've read conflicting accounts of Louisville Elementary. Can anyone offer their opinion on this?

Finally, my daughter will be 5 in November and is currently in Kindergarten - the cutoff here is December 31st. I see that the cutoff there is Sept 30. Does anyone know if exceptions are ever made for transfers? If not, what is the pre-k situation there? All private? Any recommendations? We will need something full day, M-F.

If my daughter isn't able to attend elementary yet, then we can live wherever. What are some great neighborhoods for young families?

Thanks in advance!
Lu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:46 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
You are going to love Louisville! Have you tried Housing Helpers? Boulder Rentals, Colorado Homes For Sale, Corporate Housing Denver, Relocation Services, Boulder Colorado Properties | Housing Helpers I know they have listed rental homes in my subdivision. Of course there's always Craigs List. My kids went to Monarch and we were very happy with their schooling. You can contact the Boulder Valley School District regarding cutoff dates, they can most likely give you the answers you need. Boulder Valley School District

Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciagrace View Post
Finally, my daughter will be 5 in November and is currently in Kindergarten - the cutoff here is December 31st. I see that the cutoff there is Sept 30.
Ok, I've been trying to work this out in my head so I could be wrong, but I think your daughter meets the age requirement anyway. Can someone else verify this?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks, Micktooth. All of this is very helpful. According to the BVSD, the child must be 5 by September 30th to attend Kindergarten. I'll give them a call to see how strict they are with this, brown_dog.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
You are right. Your child wouldn't meet the requirement. I read your initial post incorrectly.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:39 AM

403 posts, read 759,631 times
If your child is already currently enrolled in Kindergarten in another state, the schools out here will make an exception and allow your daughter to enroll in Kindergarten in Colorado.

My son was already in 1st Grade when we moved from Staten Island in Nov. 2008 (his birthday is Oct. 29th and NYC goes by the full calendar year for enrollment). The Jefferson County elementary school in Evergreen allowed him to remain in 1st grade and he did not have to go back and repeat Kindergarten. He is now in 7th grade and is one of the youngest kids in his class, but academically...one of the brightest.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^alliern is correct. BVSD does this as well. A call to BVSD wouldn't hurt, but depending on who you get bounced to, you might get the wrong info. It happens.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks so much, Katiana and Alliern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area