Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 AM

291 posts, read 870,404 times

Advertisements

Hi All -
My son and his family are moving to the Boulder area, and as they have two school-aged children, ages 7 and 9, I have volunteered to help them try and get a feel for various communities, especially schools.
They are interested in these towns: Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Arvada, Westminster and Broomfield. Any comments on schools in these communities would be very much appreciated.

I will look at greatschools.org and the bvsd website, but would also appreciate any comments from those of you who live there, or have just moved there.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Where will the job be?

Also look at St. Vrain district website - that's what Longmont is in.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Thank you WhereTheSidewalkEnds...
The job will be south of the university area - off of 93....

I will research the St. Vrain district now....
They are starting with good schools as a prerequisite of where they will locate and go from there....

Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
^^I would suggest they relax about the schools. All the districts in the areas where they are looking are considered good. If the job is at CU-Boulder, a home in BVSD would make the most sense as it would be close to work. There's no need to drive miles and miles to work to live in an area with good schools.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
Thank you WhereTheSidewalkEnds...
The job will be south of the university area - off of 93....
Depending on their price point and what they are looking for check out...

S. Boulder- Bear Creek and Mesa Elementary. Should be very close to where the job is. Especially if it's at the Federal Labs. Depending on the budget the housing stock can be a little rough.

Louisville- Easy Commute in on S Boulder rd. There isn't a bad area really. Louisville has a great little downtown and is very family oriented.

Superior- Eldorado and Superior Elementary. A little bit farther, but the commute on 93 won't be awful. Newer houses.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 AM

Thank you Brown Dog & Katarina Witt
I had noticed that Bear Creek has great scores and is in a good feeder pattern....
Their budget might not allow for anything in that area though.....I will let them know and they can check.
This is all so helpful..
Knowing that there are so many good schools is a relief!

Anyone know much about Longmont? My son thought the town had a "good little vibe" and is up and coming?

So appreciate your help!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Longmont is a very nice town. Has a variety of housing, and its own "downtown" area of shops and stores. However the 20 mile commute to the Hwy 93 area of S Boulder could be become an issue. How far south on CO 93 is the job ? If the NIST/NOAA area, maybe not so bad. If it is west of Superior or Broomfield, then that's worse.

https://goo.gl/maps/xqajA2i6e7w

Old 10-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Longmont is a very nice town. Has a variety of housing, and its own "downtown" area of shops and stores. However the 20 mile commute to the Hwy 93 area of S Boulder could be become an issue. How far south on CO 93 is the job ? If the NIST/NOAA area, maybe not so bad. If it is west of Superior or Broomfield, then that's worse.

https://goo.gl/maps/xqajA2i6e7w
Good to hear nice things about Longmont...and you are right about where the job will be, so I'm glad to hear it is not too bad,although looks like there may be some other areas much closer with good schools and easier commutes, if there is affordable housing for their family.
Thank you so much!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
From Longmont to the Fedral Labs (NIST, NOAA, etc) could be 45+ mins during rush hour.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 PM

92 posts, read 83,515 times
All of those areas you listed are essentially just giant tract housing plots. No real community or towns. Personally, I could never live there. On the plus side, it is very cheap to live in those areas.

Boulder is a beautiful place but it is a university town. It is dominated by college life. Parties, binge drinking, drugs, young people, etc, etc. Outside of the college there are some working professionals but not as many as you would think. The city is made up of college kids, grad students, some hippies, and rich liberals that made their money elsewhere. For a young person in their twenties, it's the perfect place. For an older couple looking to raise a family.... If I had a family I wouldn't raise them there. That's me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area