Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 PM

15 posts, read 12,190 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 years old finishing up my last year at a community college in NC. I'm applying to some excellent universities as a transfer student(all far from home) but who knows how that will pan out.. Either way, my parents are looking to downsize and I'm looking for independence and generally not happy with the environment in NC. Originally i wanted to go to CU Boulder and saw the cost of OOS tuition and marked it off my list real fast. My aunt and uncle recently moved to the Denver area and rave about how nice Boulder since they go up there a lot. I love that people in CO are into sustainability and healthy lifestyles(also i want to do something with sustainable city planning so it seems like a good place to meet some connections). I would really love to live in Boulder and experience life and the people there, even if it's just a year while I figure some college stuff out. Is it outrageously expensive to live there?? I would like to have a roommate bc living alone would be boring. I work in the wireless industry for a top carrier and I am able to transfer within my company so a job wouldn't be an issue. I make decent money for a 20 year old not to mention my credit is pretty good so I shouldn't have trouble securing a lease. My parents insist on paying my car and health insurance so I just have to cover rent, car payment, gas, food, utilities..etc. I know moving out is a big step, nonetheless half way across the country. Any suggestions on how to meet people and adjust to life in Boulder...or advice in general?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:39 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Padmapper.com
Boulder rents are quite high.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
You could do it with a roommate, OP. Rents are high, but no more so than in some of the "chi-chi" areas of Denver.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:23 PM

Boulder prices look about the same as the downtown area of Denver..which has a more young and vibrant crowd? Also I would like to be near a shopping center w stores like Urban Outfitters and Sephora That's one thing that bothers me about where I live is not being near good shopping areas haha

Old 10-11-2015, 02:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,113,205 times
I'd think Boulder seeing as though the University is there - more people your age.
Twenty-Ninth Street has Sephora, Anthropologie, Apple, H&M: Twenty Ninth Street | Home
Pearl Street has Urban Outfitters and lots of nice boutiques: Shopping | Downtown Boulder, CO

Last edited by Neditate; 10-11-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,458,263 times
Unless you want to rent and have roommates forever, to be able to live in any decent place on your own and still have some cash left over you need $100k/yr for Boulder.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 AM

380 posts, read 650,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Unless you want to rent and have roommates forever, to be able to live in any decent place on your own and still have some cash left over you need $100k/yr for Boulder.
I make $100K/year and just moved to Boulder, and this sounds accurate. I'm comfortable and live in a very nice 2-bed/2-bath, but by no means is my lifestyle lavish, nor do I have a ton of money leftover for savings. (Though I am shoveling $1,000/month toward my 2014 car, in an effort to pay it off two years early!)

Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 AM

21 posts, read 46,280 times
I am 33 and I was looking into checking out the town for a month and found a couple places in the $800-$1000 range on zillow.

My primary goal is to attend college there and work in a new industry, all my research indicates its a great place to live with a young vibrant crowd.

What jobs in Colorado pay 100k? Thats really good!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:10 AM

That's one thing that's important to me. I don't want to come all the way out here to live in a dump. I would like an updated kitchen and wood floors..living in a place that's aesthetically pleasing is important. It seems I would have to pay high dollar for that in Boulder so maybe I might consider other areas not too far from Boulder!

Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,934,709 times
I need to warn you: Most rentals in Boulder are dumps. There are new apartments being built and they are they exception, but they are also expensive. Generally around $2500 a month for a 2 bedroom. Check out Lofts at Peloton for an example of the newer stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area