Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 10,485 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My boyfriend and I really want to move to Colorado sometime in the next year or two (we are planning far in advance). From the extensive research I have done, I have my heart set on Boulder. I'm kind of a hippie, and growing up in a very small and closed-minded town has made me want to move somewhere very different.

Here's the deal. We both want to live within walking distance (optimally), or driving distance of some great mountainous hiking trails. We are very nature conscious people. But at the very same time, having lived in a small town my entire live has me craving the idea of living in a big city (like Denver). We also would be moving with a limited budget.

So my question is, are there any affordable towns near Boulder, that also have a good nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 05:02 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
No, there is no affordable towns near Boulder that have a good nightlife.

That being said and your planning ahead--Get a good education so you can have marketable skills to get a good paying job. It is very expensive here for housing and other requirements of living and since you want to have a good nightlife--that is also not a cheap lifestyle.

Save more money and have good stash before you arrive. It would be better if you have a job available but if not, you are going to need that savings.

This is not the place to come with limited education, no marketable skills and a limited budget--and you want a good nightlife (you got to be joking!)

Even if you have education and/or a marketable skills, it is difficult to find employment.

Get out of your head that you can live cheap as a hippie because it is not going to happen or you will be living under a bridge begging for food--it also gets very cold here and the mountains.

Nature is everywhere; trails are everywhere--Boulder is not the only place. Take off the rose colored glasses; look at reality and think real hard--be prepared before you come here or anywhere.

Livecontent

Old 11-07-2015, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
The only place near Boulder that has a lot of night life is Denver. Louisville has a decent amount of nightlife, for a town of 20,000, but keep that number in mind.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:47 PM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilctj17 View Post
We also would be moving with a limited budget.

So my question is, are there any affordable towns near Boulder, that also have a good nightlife?
"Limited budget" and "affordable" are relative concepts. What is your budget, exactly? And anything is "affordable" to someone out there. What's affordable for me might not be affordable for you.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:26 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
We need a bit more info to help you. Boulder is really expensive, so it's good to have a clear view of life here. Budget? Are you OK with sharing an apartment? What type of employment will you be looking for? Have you been here? Do you have car(s)?

Also, there aren't any real hippies here anymore. It's a liberal/progressive town, but the hippies left decades ago.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 AM

7 posts, read 10,485 times
Wow, kind of nasty responses for someone who is simply asking a question. The reason I would have a limited budget is because we would be moving all the way across the country, and unless someone has a very high paying job, that kind of move would limit any ones budget.

I am working on my degree and don't plan to move until I have it so that I can properly secure a job before I get there.

I suppose coming from such a small town, my idea of a good nightlife differs from others. I really am just wondering if the smaller towns on the outskirts of Boulder have at least one restaurant open after 5pm. I can't get that where i'm at.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^We see a lot of such inquiries, of people with very unrealistic plans. Yours seems fairly realistic, now that you've told us. DH and I actually came here without jobs, but I had plenty of experience and he had just finished grad school and needed to look for a job no matter where we lived (for comparison's sake).

There are plenty of places that have restaurants open after 5 PM. You might try Louisville, though it's getting more expensive. Lafayette is a more reasonable option.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:53 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,666 times
Quote:
Wow, kind of nasty responses for someone who is simply asking a question.
I agree. Why be so mean and rude? I don't understand what is wrong with some people.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:54 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
Quote:
Wow, kind of nasty responses for someone who is simply asking a question. The reason I would have a limited budget is because we would be moving all the way across the country, and unless someone has a very high paying job, that kind of move would limit any ones budget.

I am working on my degree and don't plan to move until I have it so that I can properly secure a job before I get there.

I suppose coming from such a small town, my idea of a good nightlife differs from others. I really am just wondering if the smaller towns on the outskirts of Boulder have at least one restaurant open after 5pm. I can't get that where i'm at.
I know... it pays to know the local posters:

livecontent is kind of old and curmudgeon-y and has somehow managed to afford a very high horse to sit on. He enjoys lecturing and would probably do great as a college professor.

Hschlick84 really doesn't enjoy living here. he/she is excited about moving to AZ and really wants to let people know about it. I think living in CO is wearing her down...

See? No harm no foul

People did specify a specific budget - we get all kinds of posters here asking about CO living. Some come from SD / NYC and their budget is up to $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom with up to an hour commute on average to Downtown. Others come here from say GA / IN and are shocked that they cannot find a 2 bedroom apartment for under $1000 with amenities in a central location. So while our POVs are different, the numbers reconcile those differences.

That's why it's important to ask for a specific budget (as in dollar figures) for rent if nothing else (housing costs are the main differentiator [sp?] for cost of living between different cities) so people can better guide you. For instance, since I know Denver better than Boulder, without a budget we would say go live in the highlands for nightlife, and Cherry Creek for shopping and great schools - but that doesn't help you if you cannot afford anything there (and most young couples cannot).

So with that said, if you give the posters here a specific maximum rent that you are willing to pay along with what's important to you (which you've already specified) you will get a MUCH more informative answer.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Moderator Speaking: A rude post has been removed and dealt with. Occasionally someone forgets we are here to help, not to post things that essentially say "you are not welcome here" or any other rude sentiments. We do allow for disagreements in the forums, provided such discussions are done in a civil tone and the postings don't violate the Terms of Service (TOS). Anyone is free to move anywhere they wish.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area