Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

My name is Holly, we're from the south east region of Georgia, and as the title says, we would like to relocate to CO. I know very little about Colorado besides medical marijuana and rolling mountains. What draws us to the area is the employment rate, the vast amount of activities to do outdoors, and of course, the green! We do own a sweet, loving, 3 year old pit bull, so Denver is out of the question since they have BSL. Any tips for us are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,589 times
After reading some other posts, here is some more information about us that may be helpful to you all instead of blindly asking for help.

We will be dropping everything in GA to move. We plan on having a hefty savings account before doing so. We would like to secure jobs first before moving. He is extremely skilled in construction, sales, and technology. I'm still in college, but will be graduating shortly and would make the move after I've completed my Bachelor's.

In our current location we spend roughly $2000 or more monthly on bills alone (rent, car note, power, water, etc.) and maybe $400 for other expenses. I understand that cost of living and income may differ in your area, but I'd like to stay in the same ball park.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 AM

760 posts, read 875,773 times
Your plan doesn't sound all that unrealistic, but you really need to visit a few times before taking the plunge. Boulder is one of those places that seems awesome the first few times you visit, but you will slowly learn that you will be paying a huge price for a pretty crowded place. You should expect around $1700-2000 just for your rent.

If you visit a few times, you will find other areas of the state more affordable that might fit what you are seeking. If you read these forums, you will find a lot of people moving here with high expectations, only to be disappointed and moving back home. Don't let the rose tinted glasses get the best of you.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 AM

44 posts, read 73,051 times
We recently left Georgia and bought a place in Nederland. We're retired and I'm a proud pot-head. It's a fun little town, a bit isolated (but Boulder is close by), and very dog-friendly. Check it out.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:34 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,625,292 times
First off, don't come here for the pot. There's a million reasons to love CO, but pot should not be your first one.

You seem to know nothing about Colorado besides it having mountains and pot. Colorado is unique. The altitude isn't for everyone, and it does lack a lot of green (as in trees and grass) on the front range. Unlike Georgia, it is DRY here. Very little humidity. On the contrary, rain storms will come and go, and it will snow one day and be 50 the next. The front range is FLAT. If you really don't plan on going into the mountains once or twice a month, there's plenty of other places that are better and cheaper to live than the Front Range.

Finding a place to rent without an income will be hard. Most landlords require proof of income or a hefty pre-payment of the lease, which could mean putting down up to $6-8,000 up front, depending on the rent.

Your boyfriend is experienced in "construction, sales, and technology" -- Which says pretty much nothing. Construction is a pretty seasonal job and looking at labor stats, most start at $10/hr with the median being $15/hr. Sales is too broad to comment on as that could be anything from a used cars salesman to a corporate account manager on salary. Technology also is too vague. What about it? He can use a computer and word and excel and his iPhone? So what. So can every other millennial. Does he have a specific skill or IT certification with particular software? If so, that's much more marketable.

As for you, what did you get your Bachelor's in? Do you have any internship experience to go with it? If not, don't plan on finding your dream job. You'll probably have to start with an internship level job or some unrelated job to get experience first.

So yes, if you don't have everything else together, don't be blinded by the pot. Come visit a few times (once in the winter and once in the summer) before moving. You're much better off staying where you are for a year or two to gain experience, then consider moving when you're more marketable.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:00 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,924,519 times
Another Georgian here.

I worked in construction for about 20 years in ATL, so when I say this place is booming I mean booming. Obviously, a laborer makes a low wage, but experienced tradesmen with skills make a lot more than in Atlanta. It might work out well for him to grab a construction job while you look for a traditional business position, and then he can look in IT.

It is very dry here compared to Georgia, but that's a good thing! lol.

Boulder is expensive, so definitely save a lot before you come out.

As for weed... Companies still test. It's still not completely out in the open in "respectable circles". Don't get me wrong, it's legal, easy to obtain, and can be part of a fun time. I just don't want you to think everyone is firing it up. I used to smell MJ a lot more often in ATL...

I like the idea of a visit.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM

26,128 posts, read 48,754,600 times
MODERATOR SPEAKING: Please do not make personal attacks on others. In these forums we attack ideas, not each other. Resist any urge to stoop to name calling. We don't call people 'drunks' when they extol the virtues of Colorado craft brewers, so if someone enjoys MJ that's perfectly legal and okay here. To each his own. Please join me in making these forums welcoming places where people get the help they seek. Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,339,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenukem89 View Post
What draws us to the area is the employment rate, the vast amount of activities to do outdoors, and of course, the green!
The green? Are you sure you are talking about Colorado, the home of 50 shades of beige?

Like the other posts said, its dry here. Suck the moisture right out of your face and make your nose bleed dry. It was snowing buckets and the humidity never got above 35%. Median average is around 10%. The sun is searing hot and you have a mile less atmosphere to temper it. It cooks things to a blistering shade of brown. the only green here is high in the mountains or due to irrigation.

I'll second the suggestion to do more research, especially on CD.com, and plan a trip out to view things in person.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM

666 posts, read 1,044,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
The green? Are you sure you are talking about Colorado, the home of 50 shades of beige?

I do believe that the OP is not referring to the green as in landscape but rather the green as in Cannabis
But I will echo the other sage advice on this thread, visit first and if legal recreational pot is a main draw also research other states that have legalized, some have lower cost of living than Colorado.

Your pit bull will limit your rental choices even in areas that don't have breed bans. Many places won't accept larger powerful breeds, not just pit bulls, due to liability and insurance issues.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:37 PM

380 posts, read 649,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post

Your pit bull will limit your rental choices even in areas that don't have breed bans. Many places won't accept larger powerful breeds, not just pit bulls, due to liability and insurance issues.
^ That, for sure. I moved to Boulder in Sep and have a 50-pound Aussie mix, and I can't recall any places I looks at that allowed pitbulls. Most had breed restrictions, some a mile long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area