Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:26 AM

876 posts, read 812,623 times

Advertisements

After 4 years here, it's hard to find any fault with the town. The people that have a problem with Boulder are probably going to say it's too expensive and the people are stuck up and artificial. This is probably someone who can't afford to live here. Personally I cannot really afford to live here, and survive only by having no vehicle & being extremely frugal with my meager salary. (less than half of median in Boulder county)

However, anyone who really wants to live in a small city with quick access to some of the best skiing, hiking, climbing and biking in the western US CAN make ends meet. There is a clean and efficient bus system that covers the entire Denver metro area. The area is consistently rated as one of the top bike-friendly places in America. There is a system of bike lanes, paths, and routes that crisscrosses the entire city.

If you live and work in Boulder, or any of the small burbs around Denver you can commute by bus or light rail. One of the biggest complaints you may hear is all the panhandlers and a sizable contingent of transients that congregate in the downtown area, and can be seen trudging with heavy backpacks throughout the city. I think the locals are pretty generous to the homeless and there are lots of services available (although it's never enough) for those who need help. Because of this there may be a disproportionate number of homeless, but that is a problem much bigger than Boulder and is not anything someone moving here should be concerned about.

The landscape of America is very homogenized with corporate retail giants, fast food, casual dining and strip malls. I like that the city has resisted the temptation to bring in the giant box stores and food outlets. More than anything else, that has kept Boulder "different."

Weather is mild compared to the east coast, plains states and midwest. It can get down to the single digits or zero for brief periods. During the winter, we can get 2 feet of snow overnight, which is all melted in a week so it's not as bad as it sounds. It creates some beautiful scenery so I actually look forward to the occasional blizzard. In April you can enjoy a 70 degree day, and the next day there could be 2 feet of snow, which is all gone in 2 days.

Hottest days are usually from mid-July through mid August with days where temps can get into the high nineties with moderate humidity. It's much more bearable hear than any place east of the Rockies. What's not to like here? It's clean, safe, beautiful and prosperous. There are some incredible idyllic neighborhoods nestled up against the foothills.

Last edited by A1eutian; 05-21-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 12:26 AM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
One of the biggest complaints you may hear is all the panhandlers and a sizable contingent of transients that congregate in the downtown area, and can be seen trudging with heavy backpacks throughout the city. I think the locals are pretty generous to the homeless and there are lots of services available (although it's never enough) for those who need help. Because of this there may be a disproportionate number of homeless, but that is a problem much bigger than Boulder and is not anything someone moving here should be concerned about.
That one statement, would make me reject the city, no questions asked. That they cannot keep the homeless, most of whom are criminals and break in and steal your stuff, vandalize your car, abuse your kid, or rape your girlfriend, off their streets.

In the Southwest we have an increasing and worsening homeless problem. Some cities remove them as much as they can, such as Scottsdale, but others, such as Palm Springs, have horrible homeless and property crime problems.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:02 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
That one statement, would make me reject the city, no questions asked. That they cannot keep the homeless, most of whom are criminals and break in and steal your stuff, vandalize your car, abuse your kid, or rape your girlfriend, off their streets.
Wow. "Most of whom are criminals"? Really?
I have a lot to say about that but I have better things to do than waste my time responding to an ignorant post.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:52 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Wow. "Most of whom are criminals"? Really?
I have a lot to say about that but I have better things to do than waste my time responding to an ignorant post.
I agree. What a crappy thing to say. Very sad.
There have been homeless PEOPLE in Boulder since my college days in the 90s - no doubt long before that. Never had an issue with anyone. (Drunken frat boys were the ones I found "dangerous".) Many of the homeless these days are veterans.

I spent the past few days in Boulder; quite a few hours on Pearl Street and the creek path. I didn't notice an abundance of homeless people and I didn't have blinders on. I wasn't accosted, my car was not vandalized, I was not raped, stolen from or bothered by anyone.

@ "theoaks" where did you read that Boulder isn't doing anything to address the homeless? https://bouldercolorado.gov/homelessness

Perhaps if you learned something about who the homeless are, you might possibly gain a modicum of compassion. https://bouldercolorado.gov/homeless...meless-stories

Old 05-22-2016, 03:37 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
My track record with the bums in Boulder is perfect. They accost me every time I go to Pearl St. Mall. Never miss a chance. I regrettably decided to spend a few hours strolling the shops last week after an appt. in the area just to kill some time because the weather was so pleasant. It had been years since I set foot in that place because every....single...time I get accosted. Within the few hours I was there I regretted my decision and left feeling like crap. And it wasn't because of the bum who let their dog crap on the sidewalk and strode off without picking it up while I frantically searched my pockets for a poop bag to give him. It was the bum who made a nasty comment to me.

I was planning to have lunch there but retreated back to my comfort zone and had a pleasant lunch in Lafayette.

On the plus side the tulips were lovely. But it will be years before I go back again.

The thing with Boulder that I don't like is that there are just too many people. It is like NYC that way. Everywhere you go, people, people, people. Clearly this doesn't bother everyone but for me I can't take the density.

I refuse to call them homeless because I don't believe they are homeless. I think they are bums with homes that refuse to work so go out to beg for money because they know people will give it to them. They dress up in their little begging outfits and sit on the mall all day harassing people.
Attached Thumbnails
"Is Everything Better in Boulder?" (Men's Health article)-img_20160518_134853417.jpg  

Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 AM

56 posts, read 60,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

The thing with Boulder that I don't like is that there are just too many people. It is like NYC that way. Everywhere you go, people, people, people. e.
Well arent you worldly....

Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I refuse to call them homeless because I don't believe they are homeless. I think they are bums with homes that refuse to work so go out to beg for money because they know people will give it to them. They dress up in their little begging outfits and sit on the mall all day harassing people.

edit: can't post what I really want to say...

Old 06-10-2016, 10:01 AM

760 posts, read 882,541 times
I don't understand how Boulder can keep adding all of these high paying jobs while they refuse to expand the city and build more housing.

It's starting to really mess up everything for the surrounding towns.

And mountain bikers are incredibly rude in Boulder. They fly past without calling out, and then look at you all pissed as if it's your fault.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I don't understand how Boulder can keep adding all of these high paying jobs while they refuse to expand the city and build more housing.

And mountain bikers are incredibly rude in Boulder. They fly past without calling out, and then look at you all pissed as if it's your fault.
Where exactly would you like them to expand? Which Greenbelt are you willing to give up for housing? Which Prairie Dog colony are you willing to kill off?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM

56 posts, read 60,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Not really, those towns are the ones benefiting. Boulder city loses out on the tax revenue and they end up paying for infrastructure that outsiders utilize.

I am glad that Boulder is getting super expensive, because all of the people thinking they had it made on $80k a year and wanted to keep all the outsiders out are finding themselves to be irrelevant and lower-middle class, while the ambitious start to come in and take over.

They succeeded in "keeping them out". Only they kept out the middle class while the surrounding cities benefited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area