Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

https://sites.google.com/a/jeffcoschools.us/develyn-hs/ and live in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Hills,_Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 03:26 PM

6,820 posts, read 10,510,104 times
What makes a high school great to you? Test scores? Variety of programs? A particular program? Diversity? College Credits? Socioeconomic status? New buildings? More highly educated teachers? More experienced teachers?

Also, what area specifically are you limited to?

Old 11-27-2016, 12:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
What makes a high school great to you? Test scores? Variety of programs? A particular program? Diversity? College Credits? Socioeconomic status? New buildings? More highly educated teachers? More experienced teachers?
I always get a chuckle out of these threads wanting answers for the "best" whatever. As if we all think exactly alike, and have the same exact preferences and backgrounds...

Old 11-27-2016, 01:24 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Has anyone recommended Jefferson Academy? I don't knew exactly where this school is, but I believe it to be somewhere between Broomfield and Boulder.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Has anyone recommended Jefferson Academy? I don't knew exactly where this school is, but I believe it to be somewhere between Broomfield and Boulder.
It's in Broomfield, but it's only K-6.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:25 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
New buildings?
If this is important, both Boulder High and Fairview should be avoided . Fairview looks like it's going to crumble at any minute. At any rate, don't look up and maybe wear a bike helmet inside - there are ceiling tiles missing everywhere. There is an overall bad vibe about the school building - most classrooms lack windows. This is weird, considering the school's name - there is truly a spectacular view. But it can only be experienced from the library and cafeteria.

Good thing the state of the school building wasn't important to me .

Old 11-27-2016, 05:52 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's in Broomfield, but it's only K-6.
That's funny because they compete in 3A basketball against teams like Lutheran, Faith Christian and Kent Denver. Must be some tough 6th graders.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Yes, really! Actually, I discovered there are two schools named "Jefferson Academy".
JEFFCO Public Schools - Jefferson Academy Elementary Profile
Jefferson Academy

Old 11-28-2016, 07:22 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
If this is important, both Boulder High and Fairview should be avoided . Fairview looks like it's going to crumble at any minute. At any rate, don't look up and maybe wear a bike helmet inside - there are ceiling tiles missing everywhere. There is an overall bad vibe about the school building - most classrooms lack windows. This is weird, considering the school's name - there is truly a spectacular view. But it can only be experienced from the library and cafeteria.

Good thing the state of the school building wasn't important to me .
The school was spiffed up over the summer with the new bond money. It still is rather ugly, lacks windows, and has a wacky layout.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectHologram View Post
Her new school:

1. Must have a good College prep program offering college courses for college credits.
2. Must have a clean record for harassment or bullying of any kind. She's been through that before. Not again.
3. Must offer variety of elective courses. ( available funding )
4. I prefer a charter school.
I get what you're saying on #2 above (as we all obviously want to protect our kids) but asking others to provide you with the name of a school with a perfect "clean record for harassment or bullying of any kind" is roughly equivalent to asking someone to give you the name of a city or town in which no crime of any sort has ever occurred in the past 100+ years. There are cities/towns/neighborhoods which tend to have more crime or less crime but there is no place that has NEVER EVER had a crime. We live in a real world in which bad stuff occasionally occurs, unfortunately. If only real life could be like The Sound of Music, or Lake Woebegone where everybody's extremely good-looking and above-average.

I do hope you and your daughter find a good fit but don't expect utter perfection as it doesn't exist to my knowledge, no matter how excellent and above-average a place is. Sadly, the more excellent and above-average a place or school the more likely cliques of "(fill in the blank)" kids/adults will inhabit the place, making it not necessarily such a healthy/perfect situation for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area