Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 4,986 times

Advertisements

I'm in the early stages of planning a move and Boulder is on my initial list of places under consideration.

I am a restaurant professional with a lot of high-end experience. Is Boulder a good fit for that? I'm used to being able to sell at least $1500 on all but the slowest nights.

Thanks for any answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 PM

399 posts, read 817,105 times
Honestly I would say Denver fits that bill better than Boulder in regards to just the numbers of "high-end" restaurants. That's not to say Boulder doesn't have any but you'll find more workplaces like that in Denver given the area and who actually works, lives, and eats in Denver. You would think given the average home price in Boulder they'd have more restaurants like that but not from what I've seen compared to Denver.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:27 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,666 times
Denver would give you many more opportunities.

For a relatively small town (pop. ~100,000) Boulder has some nice high end restaurants but obviously it cannot compare to the Denver metro area (pop. 2.8 million).

Old 11-09-2016, 11:21 PM

82 posts, read 91,853 times
As someone who relocated from the northeast to Denver, soon to be moving to Boulder, and has been in the restaurant biz for 12 years, Denver will most def give you more possibilities. Just check out the COL compared to what you think you're salary could be. I probably wouldn't be out here if I wasn't splitting rent.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 4,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSailor4326 View Post
As someone who relocated from the northeast to Denver, soon to be moving to Boulder, and has been in the restaurant biz for 12 years, Denver will most def give you more possibilities. Just check out the COL compared to what you think you're salary could be. I probably wouldn't be out here if I wasn't splitting rent.
What sort of money are we talking about in high-end in Denver? I make about $1000-1200 per week in California, but it is very hit-or-miss, more so than anywhere I've lived.

Also note that that $1000-1200 includes paychecks. Because the minimum wage is $10 here, my checks are usually $100 per week. So we're talking about $200/shift or so. Is that doable in Denver?

Old 11-15-2016, 06:44 PM

82 posts, read 91,853 times
Currently, I am a manager in a fast-casual style place and get paid a salary.

Here is a link I found that might be pretty useful for you...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Denver/comm...w_much_do_you/

There are a ton of restaurant jobs out here, but the majority of them don't pay all too well. Not sure how difficult it would be to get into a higher-end one and if you would be making CA money out here.

Also, check CLs ads just so you can have an idea of what you'd be looking at.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 PM

244 posts, read 414,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreadyfortheshow View Post
What sort of money are we talking about in high-end in Denver? I make about $1000-1200 per week in California, but it is very hit-or-miss, more so than anywhere I've lived.

Also, note that $1000-1200 includes paychecks. Because the minimum wage is $10 here, my checks are usually $100 per week. So we're talking about $200/shift or so. Is that doable in Denver?
As a former server at a high-end restaurant in Denver, that is doable. I worked five nights a week and was averaging $200-$300 a night depending on the time of year.

Something that was very different for me is, in my experience, most of the smaller local places are tip pools. At first, I wasn't a fan, but it ended up being for my benefit. Cuts down on the issues of being concerned what section you happen to get assigned and fosters a more familial work environment.

I will say it is difficult to get into most of the restaurants you make good money in. I was hired at my restaurant through a personal connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area