Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:55 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for reading my post. We are contemplating a move out west. My husband can work anywhere so that's not an issue. We will be coming out to Denver in about a month to 'feel it out.' Obviously, Boulder is quite pricey. What I can't figure out is the vast difference in real estate prices from Boulder proper to homes
5-9 miles out. I seem to find 1,000 sq ft fixer uppers downtown for $750k but for $600k (9 miles outside of town) there are beautiful vast homes with lots of land. Why such a difference? PS yes we have children...one will be attending CU in the fall and the other is 10). Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 02:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
IIRC Boulder has some zoning and construction laws that have made it hard to build new stuff within (and near?) the city which has driven up the price of existing homes in the city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Location. Love it or hate it, but Boulder is a very desirable place to live and people pay a premium to live here. It's sort of like why would anyone pay to live on or near the beach when you can buy a house 15 mins away from the beach for less?

ETA: Also, there are a lot of high paying jobs in and around Boulder, plus a lot of wealthy people move here. This ability to pay coupled with a limited supply drives up prices.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Thanks so much for reading my post. We are contemplating a move out west. My husband can work anywhere so that's not an issue. We will be coming out to Denver in about a month to 'feel it out.' Obviously, Boulder is quite pricey. What I can't figure out is the vast difference in real estate prices from Boulder proper to homes
5-9 miles out. I seem to find 1,000 sq ft fixer uppers downtown for $750k but for $600k (9 miles outside of town) there are beautiful vast homes with lots of land. Why such a difference? PS yes we have children...one will be attending CU in the fall and the other is 10). Thank you!!
I don't know where you're finding these houses with "lots of land". That is not the norm anywhere in the metro Denver area, including Boulder County. Before half the forum jumps on their keyboards, I'm aware there are some areas of large lot homes, just not very many.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM

I say lots of land in comparison to 'in-town'...The in-town homes have .17 acres vs the couple I have seen 9 miles out of town (but still in Boulder) are 1 acre of land (we live in Charleston with front-porch homes so anything outside of .25 acre is 'LOTS' to us.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I say lots of land in comparison to 'in-town'...The in-town homes have .17 acres vs the couple I have seen 9 miles out of town (but still in Boulder) are 1 acre of land (we live in Charleston with front-porch homes so anything outside of .25 acre is 'LOTS' to us.
I still don't know where you're seeing houses on 1 acre except perhaps in the mountains. 10,000 sf (~1/4 acre) is considered a large lot here in the burbs of Boulder County.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Here is one example..and again, this may be so far out..I just don't know the difference. There are a handful of these:

215 Lakeshore Park Rd, Boulder, CO 80302 - realtor.com®

Old 04-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Here is one example..and again, this may be so far out..I just don't know the difference. There are a handful of these:

215 Lakeshore Park Rd, Boulder, CO 80302 - realtor.com®
That's up in the mountains on a dirt road. Don't get me wrong, I bet the views are gorgeous! It's just isolated and a rough drive down to the city when it snows.

The biggest shock for people coming from the South East is the price and quality of the housing here. I know it took us a while to get over it when we moved from Atlanta.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:28 PM

If the 10 year old will be attending public school, start with Superior, Louisville, Lafayette, and maybe Longmont if you don't see something you like in the City of Boulder.

Let me know if some specific Elementary schools would be helpful.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Great. Thank you everyone. Yes, that was my worry that it was some dirt road where '9 miles' was 30 minutes on a good day. Very good to know. Yes, the prices are a high but not too shocking as we've only been in Charleston (avg home price is typically in the $700's++ where we are) for 5 years and are from Boston originally. But Boulder is crazy high for what you get! Wow! Thank you for the town/school suggestions for our 10 year old..GREAT HELP!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area