Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times

Advertisements

More city officials with too much time on their hands. Boulder's real crime rate must be pretty low if they have time for this nonsense. If I was a city official and someone complained about this, I would tell them to mind their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
It is not just about pink poodles, it is about a city in our country that is attempting to control citizens that live within its borders. There are several LARGE contriversial items going on in Boulder, including the taking of land by a wealthy judge when the owners decided to build on the lot. The sex assembly that was held in Boulder High that had the speaker tell the kids to go out and experiment with sex and drugs because no matter what they said, they were going to do it anyway. It also involves moves by Boulder to restrict the size of homes, the use of land that is privatly owned. This is only one drop in the bucket for what Boulder is doing to control what goes on inside its city limits.

I expect home prices and land prices to double this year, and then sink into a hole due to the new restrictions in building.
Exactly, I have seen more then one idiotic thing like this coming from lawmakers in the many years that my family has owned land there. Its arrogance and ignorance liberally mixed and I find it hilarious at the same time I find it amazingly stupid.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Please tell me your kidding.

Why should the law be MORE protective of animals then it is of PEOPLE. I dye my hair about once a month with the aforementioned nasty chemicals. PEOPLE regularly have their hair bleached as well and then dyed.

Its frankly astonishing that Boulder has this much time on their hands.

Her infraction? From what I understand she has dyed her dog on more then one occasion before. The good people of Boulder need to get a life and concern themselves with REAL issues, not what color someone has dyed their OWN dog.
Well, in regards to why the law is more protective of animals - people can chose to do whatever they want to themselves, that's their choice. But animals don't have the choice. Animals also lick their fur, which I believe is were the concern is in regards to the chemicals on them. I dye my hair, I make the choice to do it, that burden is on me. I also don't lick my hair - not sure if it would be bad or not

While I don't agree with everything that goes on in Boulder, the snippets that people read in the papers and see on the news get blown out of proportion and sudden everyone in Boulder is an idiot which does get a little tiring when you live a normal life here, most of our friends who live in Boulder are normal families, have normal jobs, normal children going to normal schools.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 PM

180 posts, read 566,187 times
This is straight up the funniest thing I have read about in a looooong time. Nothing paints Boulder as being liberal like this story. From what I read about Boulder, it seems like a really wonderful, safe town. I don't really get it...

I guess no one considered that the "nasty chemicals" used to dye human hair were most definitely tested on animals before they were tested on, let alone sold to humans. I certainly don't agree with animal testing, but... they were more than likely tested on animals already, and if they weren't safe for animals, they wouldn't be sold to people. (Unless you're living in China) So, whether or not she used beet juice is kind of a silly distinction.

Right? haha... It was just a knee-jerk reaction by someone who was distraught at seeing an animal with dyed hair, and now it's an iconic message about Boulder.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
I guess no one considered that the "nasty chemicals" used to dye human hair were most definitely tested on animals before they were tested on, let alone sold to humans. I certainly don't agree with animal testing, but... they were more than likely tested on animals already, and if they weren't safe for animals, they wouldn't be sold to people. (Unless you're living in China) So, whether or not she used beet juice is kind of a silly distinction.
Actually, that's not really the case. If you goggle "hair color risks" you will find articles, etc. talking about the risk, even though they may be slight, that coloring your hair may be linked to cancer. I color my hair, so the risk doesn't stop me. But that's a choice I personally make. But to assume that just because something is out on the market that it is completely safe????

Boulder is a wonderful, safe town - what about this article makes that any different? I see you are from Austin - do you realize that many people compare the two as being similar in beliefs - as in very liberal?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Actually, that's not really the case. If you goggle "hair color risks" you will find articles, etc. talking about the risk, even though they may be slight, that coloring your hair may be linked to cancer. I color my hair, so the risk doesn't stop me. But that's a choice I personally make. But to assume that just because something is out on the market that it is completely safe????

Boulder is a wonderful, safe town - what about this article makes that any different? I see you are from Austin - do you realize that many people compare the two as being similar in beliefs - as in very liberal?
So now the great Boulder lawmakers are going to set themselves above the FDA??
Somehow I'm not surprised.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So now the great Boulder lawmakers are going to set themselves above the FDA??
Somehow I'm not surprised.
I suppose if that's how you want to look at it.....I personally have never thought the FDA to be the be all to end all when it comes to drug safety. They've had to recall things plenty of times and when you look at the side effects of many drugs, I think I'd prefer the initial illness.

But I still go back to the fact that animals aren't given a choice about whether or not they want something put on them, which I think is partly where the law comes into play I would think. Is it over the top? That's different people's personal opinion. But it was allowed to be passed in Boulder by people that voters voted into office.

In general, Colorado people are pretty over the top about their pets. Not just Boulder. They take them everywhere and it is surprising how dogs are allowed in so many places. It's just different here when it comes to how people view their pets.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I suppose if that's how you want to look at it.....I personally have never thought the FDA to be the be all to end all when it comes to drug safety. They've had to recall things plenty of times and when you look at the side effects of many drugs, I think I'd prefer the initial illness.

But I still go back to the fact that animals aren't given a choice about whether or not they want something put on them, which I think is partly where the law comes into play I would think. Is it over the top? That's different people's personal opinion. But it was allowed to be passed in Boulder by people that voters voted into office.

In general, Colorado people are pretty over the top about their pets. Not just Boulder. They take them everywhere and it is surprising how dogs are allowed in so many places. It's just different here when it comes to how people view their pets.
I would have to agree with you on the statement that they are over the top.

I also feel that this is the height of arrogance (not exactly anything new) to think they know more then a Federal agency.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I don't think the city of Boulder is presuming they know more than the FDA. For one thing, they are preoccupied with impeaching Bush, etc! LOL!

But seriously, if you google "animal dyeing + ordinances" or some such, you'll find many places have such laws. I remember my hometown outlawing the practice in the early 60s. It is animal cruelty. You can bet your boots they aren't as careful with animals as they are with dying human hair (which, like many others on this forum, I also do). The details of this particular case are somewhat in doubt re: beet juice vs something else, etc.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Quote:
WELL we aren't talking about dying bunnies and chicks now are we. This woman should be able to dye her dog every day if she would like to match her clothes, its none of the towns business.

I used to live in a snot nosed little town that was always in everyone's business, I don't miss it one little bit. The people who called to report this HUGE infraction should find something meaningful to do with their life instead of whining about a pink poodle.

I have a black cat I have been thinking of getting that spray that will turn black hair white and putting two white streaks down his back to look like a skunk and take his picture. I have a white cat that I had thought about dying for various holidays. Maybe I should forward a copy to the animal control people of Boulder.
Well, I think it's a little nutz the fuss they are making of this. But honestly, why would you do something like that to your cats or any animal. Somehow I don't think they appreciate it.

Granted, we kill cows by the bazillions to eat, and they don't like it either. But really, dying pets?

I''ve always figured that's why poodles are neurotic, we make them look rediculous to themselves, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area