Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:14 PM

380 posts, read 649,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajiggs View Post
I think there really ought to be "dog paths" and "human only" paths because many dog owners do not keep their dogs leashed when out for a walk, and they wouldn't have to if there was a designated dog path.
This does exist. There are lots of trails in Boulder where no dogs are allowed. Google it. People who are afraid of dogs can stay away from the trails where off-leash dogs are permitted and go on the trails where dogs aren't permitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:57 PM

67 posts, read 108,875 times
Default Shocked at Boulder's dog leash laws!

I'm glad when I moved from Westcliffe a few years ago, I moved up here to Summit County and not to Boulder. Wow. What very bad judgement to actually OK certain dogs....ANY dogs...to be off a leash. I'd love to see the proof they're "under voice command". They almost never seem to be.

It's troubling in my nice locals' neighborhood in Silverthorne also though. In the last two years my small dog on a leash and I have been in a stand off three different times with three different dogs. One, a muscular pit bull, sprang over a stupidly short fence right in front of me. He held us prisoner for god knows how long before his owner heard me screaming and rushed out. I could tell by the way he said "did he bite your dog" in a panic, that that wasn't the first episode with that dog.

Then there was the big Yellow Dog, and just last week, a Rottweiler a block and a half away decided to leave his yard and come after us. Seeing the laser focus on us and his speedy trot, I knew we were in trouble. That time I was near a back short cut through a neighbor's yard to my house. Problem was, with 4'11" me and my short dog standing in upper thigh deep snow, fast moving through the short cut was out of the question. After 5 minutes or so of me screaming "help" with my arm outstretched at him he yelped and suddenly left. I saw the owner down the block hitting a shocker. Not very effective for keeping his dog in the yard.

Those two times (big Yellow Dog's owner came fairly quickly) were so freakin scary. In both cases not a soul was home in my neighborhood full of working people. I'm retired. As my phobia has grown, our walk has shrunk to a circle around one block...but that is the "safe" walk where we encountered the Rottie! I force myself to take my pup on that short little walk, but I can't seem to drag myself out there very often, and when I do my head looks like a periscope and I'm so anxious.

Between lose dogs and poop, bad dog owners hurt us all. Everyone should call animal control every single time they see a loose dog.

Oh..and Silverthorne already has "leash laws". A joke.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,262,375 times
I had a neighbors dog come rush me while I was walking my dog at my last residence. I just got off work and I had my work boots on. I think I punted the dog a good 10 feet.
Never rushed me again.

I would carry a cattle prod if I could buy one. So go buy a caddie prod

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-04-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,181,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I had a neighbors dog come rush me while I was walking my dog at my last residence. I just got off work and I had my work boots on. I think I punted the dog a good 10 feet.
Never rushed me again.

I would carry a cattle prod if I could buy one. So go buy a caddie prod
I agree- this has worked well for me in a few instances on trails.

If the owners can not train the dogs properly then I try and do my part.

The dogs go running away yelping never to be seen again!

https://www.tbotech.com/rechargeable-runt-stun-gun.htm

Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,459,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
I'm glad when I moved from Westcliffe a few years ago, I moved up here to Summit County and not to Boulder. Wow. What very bad judgement to actually OK certain dogs....ANY dogs...to be off a leash. I'd love to see the proof they're "under voice command". They almost never seem to be.

It's troubling in my nice locals' neighborhood in Silverthorne also though. In the last two years my small dog on a leash and I have been in a stand off three different times with three different dogs. One, a muscular pit bull, sprang over a stupidly short fence right in front of me. He held us prisoner for god knows how long before his owner heard me screaming and rushed out. I could tell by the way he said "did he bite your dog" in a panic, that that wasn't the first episode with that dog.

Then there was the big Yellow Dog, and just last week, a Rottweiler a block and a half away decided to leave his yard and come after us. Seeing the laser focus on us and his speedy trot, I knew we were in trouble. That time I was near a back short cut through a neighbor's yard to my house. Problem was, with 4'11" me and my short dog standing in upper thigh deep snow, fast moving through the short cut was out of the question. After 5 minutes or so of me screaming "help" with my arm outstretched at him he yelped and suddenly left. I saw the owner down the block hitting a shocker. Not very effective for keeping his dog in the yard.

Those two times (big Yellow Dog's owner came fairly quickly) were so freakin scary. In both cases not a soul was home in my neighborhood full of working people. I'm retired. As my phobia has grown, our walk has shrunk to a circle around one block...but that is the "safe" walk where we encountered the Rottie! I force myself to take my pup on that short little walk, but I can't seem to drag myself out there very often, and when I do my head looks like a periscope and I'm so anxious.

Between lose dogs and poop, bad dog owners hurt us all. Everyone should call animal control every single time they see a loose dog.

That sucks. As a dog owner, i try to be very considerate. I advise you to start carrying a large walking stick and carrying pepper spray.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,092,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post

I would agree with carrying pepper spray, it’s a far more humane solution. The containers are not much larger than a cigarette lighter and attach to your keychain. Kicking a dog is extremely bad form unless you truly feel threatened. I’ve personally never experienced a dog I could’nt scare away. You could also try walking with a Leki pole.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 1,568 times
Smile Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I think you will be happier in Broomfield. The areas we use are pretty much picked up of poop. Of course there are always a few who try to leave it but myself and presumably others will call them on it when we see it by offering them a poop bag. It only takes one person allowing their dog to poop every day to ruin your preferred path because after a month you now have 30 piles of poop on the path. I think people confronting them scares them off from walking their dogs or from not picking up the poop.

We stopped walking/hiking in Boulder due to the people on bikes who will run you down and the off leash dogs that will attack ours while the owner claims 'poopsy' has never done anything like that before.

There are less off leash dogs in Broomfield, Thornton and Westminster because people like myself will call out and ask the offenders to leash their dogs. It is illegal to have them off leash here. And if enough people do it the offenders then start to leash their dogs or they stop walking them.

On occasion animal control has to be called in for repeat offenders but the system eventually works and we don't get bothered by people who leave poop or let their dogs run wild.

The worst thing we encounter is runners (presumably from Boulder or big East coast cities) who feel it is a sin to slow down or go around others on the trail and try to run over our dogs if they don't get out of the way fast enough. Usually these people look like they are in serious pain so they are punishing themselves for being miserable human beings by running. But mostly we encounter friendly people.

Once we took a dog training class for aggressive dogs in Boulder. The people who lived in Boulder actually would drive outside the city to other cities with leash laws to walk their dogs. It is impossible to walk a leashed dog in Boulder with all the untrained dogs there unless your dog is really laid back and doesn't mind other dogs running up and jumping on him/her.

So if you do move to Broomfield I encourage you to confront people on your preferred walking routes by offering them poop bags or requesting they leash their dogs. The more people proactively address the situation the better for everyone trying to use the trails. I also know where all the local off leash dog parks are and if I see a repeat off leash offender I helpfully tell them where they are. I'm sure they hate me but I don't care. I eventually get the desired result and can walk in peace. I have found that it is best to address the problem the first time I see it rather than to suffer in silence while their dogs run wild and they leave their poop everywhere. The off leash walkers are the worst when it comes to poop pick up. They always try to pretend they didn't see it so by addressing one problem it helps solve the other.
Well Said sir

Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Pepper spray isn't a good solution if it's windy. I carry a retractable baton. I've used it once, in the "wilderness" of the Dakota Ridge neighborhood of North Bolder. Two Great Danes got away from what appeared to be a toddler walking them, and I cracked one of them on the spine. Also called the cops -- she settled before it went to court. It's not just off-leash dogs that are a threat.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,459,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Pepper spray isn't a good solution if it's windy. I carry a retractable baton. I've used it once, in the "wilderness" of the Dakota Ridge neighborhood of North Bolder. Two Great Danes got away from what appeared to be a toddler walking them, and I cracked one of them on the spine. Also called the cops -- she settled before it went to court. It's not just off-leash dogs that are a threat.
A walking stick is ample defense to put some some space between you and a dog 99% of the time. Pepper spray for the other 1%.

I’m confused by your statement above. You sued her after you cracked her dog on the back?

Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I’m confused by your statement above. You sued her after you cracked her dog on the back?
The police issued her multiple tickets (her dogs weren't licensed), and she attempted to fight them in court. If I hadn't shown up in court, the tickets would've been thrown out. When she realized I was going to show up, she settled up at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area