Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 AM

226 posts, read 860,203 times

Advertisements

[quote=StealthRabbit;50321122]Another thought is to not worry too much about the school and just get private tutors to help, has anyone gone this route and was it successful?

GREAT idea.... ^^^^

Better idea...(with a highschooler)

Temporarily Move to (income tax free) WA State... great during EARNING yrs (and HS) (Tough to beat sea kayaking on inland waters (Puget Sound) and some very HIGH flow river kayaking + Snow Skiing and wind surfing (the same day < 1 hr apart)

FREE FT college instead of wasting away in High School. - Worked excellent for 10's of thousands of students for nearly 30 yrs! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Then... move to Income Tax Free WY (one of the least expensive universities in USA and excellent EDU for engineering / teaching) Great High schools in WY (if you MUST waste your kid's time in a public HS)

If WY wears you out... move to INCOME tax FREE SD (one night / lifetime domicile requirement) Very nice Mtns and recreation near Spearfish (College town)

Thank you, those places all sound lovely but my children aren't there and that's the most important factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post

Thank you, those places all sound lovely but my children aren't there and that's the most important factor.
ah yes, your 'other' children / w/ family... (besides the one still at home attending HS...)

well... consider your Colorado options...
send your kid to college instead of High School on your own dime (Very inexpensive if using a community college)
Concurrent Enrollment (College During High School) | Niwot High School Counseling

Really is 'kid-dependent' but High School 'social woe' is worth avoiding for someone moving into a new community as a high schooler. (ours continued to do HS Sports and music, while FT College students)

Ours were a bit reluctant to go to college at age 16, but it ended up being a great experience for them. They have lasting friends that still meet 4x annually for beach and skiing 10+ yrs after College instead of High School.

Profs were excellent (several were adjunct retired military profs)
That 'early-start' did mountains of good for our kid's subsequent Uni / Grad Schools / careers / community engagement. PLUS they were into the workforce 3-4 yrs before their peers getting valuable experience (as well as traveling internationally for work and play.)

Lots of options, do what best equips your kids for a productive and enjoyable future.
http://www.collegesimply.com/college...nity-colleges/
(They can also attend CU during HS, it is a bit closer...)
http://www.cde.state.co.us/postsecondary/ceprogramsfaq

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-06-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lots of options, do what best equips your kids for a productive and enjoyable future.
Community Colleges near Niwot, Colorado - Niwot, Colorado Colleges and Universities
(They can also attend CU during HS, it is a bit closer...)
http://www.cde.state.co.us/postsecondary/ceprogramsfaq
I see this 12 CR Hr cap in Colorado Concurrent enrollment options... I hope that is per qtr / semester, not per total aggregated program. Our kids had over 120 Cr Hrs for University before exiting high school, so didn't need a HS diploma, tho they got one printed out along with their AAS. Be sure any HS College credits are accompanied with a Transfer Contract (so no credits are lost, during undergrad)

Old 12-09-2017, 04:26 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Yes, by all means look at Longmont. My ex moved there from Bouder (25+years) and loves it.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Longmont is still somewhat affordable ,bring money to Colorado, lots of money ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU

Old 12-14-2017, 04:19 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I see this 12 CR Hr cap in Colorado Concurrent enrollment options... I hope that is per qtr / semester, not per total aggregated program. Our kids had over 120 Cr Hrs for University before exiting high school, so didn't need a HS diploma, tho they got one printed out along with their AAS. Be sure any HS College credits are accompanied with a Transfer Contract (so no credits are lost, during undergrad)
I didn't see a 12 credit cap, but rather a 12 credit minimum of concurrent high school enrollment completions prior to finishing high school to be eligible for the post high school ASCENT program. ASCENT then allows them to continue to one additional year as a free, public school student taking college courses. Now maybe its further down in some other details of those documents. I tired of reading after about 8 pages and then scanned the rest.

The number of college credits a student takes with them from high school is entirely dependent upon the student's ability. A couple of my daughter's friends took a couple of concurrent classes their freshman year of high school, so they finished their first year of high school with 6 college credits in hand. This year those same few are adding more credits and the pool of concurrent students has increased as well. I would anticipate this trend of increasing participation and accumulated credits will continue through their senior year. So, at our high school, students could graduate high school with any possible number of college credits. How many can they get? It all depends on the kid, their activity levels, and motivation. Logistically, 192 credit hours are available through high school and then an additional 48 in the ASCENT program, but IMO, it would take an exceptional student to achieve an accumulation that high and with the state high school requirements for non-concurrent classes, such as PE, I doubt they could hit the 192 number through regular high school terms. Obviously some kids can snag enough to graduate high school with an AA.

Down here in Cos, the concurrent enrollment in our district is free to high school students, including books, provided they receive a passing grade. A failing grade requires the student reimburse the district for the class at current, local Community College prices.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:07 AM

226 posts, read 860,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Longmont is still somewhat affordable ,bring money to Colorado, lots of money ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU
Haha, we currently live in NJ, the property taxes alone will be about 10k+ per year cheaper :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area