Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 PM

20 posts, read 37,801 times

Advertisements

Greetings... I've been reading threads on schools and noticing little recommendation for Whittier. I realize the test scores aren't as high. We currently live out of state in a extremely competitive, success driven, affluent, somewhat snobby pressure cooker of a town, and while I of course prioritize strong academics I am looking for less of a mold your child/rat race kind of environment. We have a place in Boulder that we use for summers and visits, and I grew up there, so I have kept a decent understanding of the town, but school life is difficult to understand from the outside. My son is young now, but this move would be long term. Whittier seems the most diverse, are there rough kids (as far as Boulder goes anyway) or issues of bullying? Any thoughts on the community are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM

401 posts, read 486,789 times
If you haven't already check out greatschools.com although it is not the be all and end all it does give some good perspective on how the school is doing with all students including lower-income students.

I think any school will have bullies it is how the staff handle the bullies that will make the difference. I haven't heard a whole lot about bullying and Whittier myself. I know that Kohl elementary has had some issues, I have friends whose kids attend there.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times
Whittier is a solid school with a Boulder granola bent. It doesn't have the math/science focus that some of the South Boulder schools do, and that probably shows up in the test scores. I've never heard of any bullying at the school. My kids in middle and high school have a few friends from Whittier and those kids do fine in school.

The problem is middle school. The kids from Whittier are zoned for Casey Middle and it leaves a bit to be desired. A lot of the Whittier kids choice into other middle schools or go to a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area