Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,841 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband is leaving the Marine Corps next year and planning on attending college. We are trying to get out of North Carolina and have had our eyes set on Colorado. I have an Environmental Health Science Degree and currently work in Environmental Consulting.

Based on some research, there seems to be a decent amount of opportunities for green jobs near Denver and being that the University of Colorado is located in Boulder, we thought we could make this move work for both of us.

We don't necessarily want to live in downtown Denver city area. We would like to live in Boulder but I keep seeing that it is super expensive. I have been looking at Bloomfield as it seems to be in the middle of Boulder / Denver so that way he can commute for school and I can commute for work.

Apartments are still pretty pricey in the Bloomfield area but I think we can make it work. ~1400 a month

Does anyone from the area have any feedback in general on the Boulder / Bloomfield / Denver area?
Also any feedback on the university of Colorado boulder campus and the general "vibe". My husband is strictly going for school and does not care for the whole frat and sorority experience which I know is a bigger part of some colleges. Is there any older students or is it all fresh out of high school students?

I have seen that Bloomfield is more suburbs for "rich" middle age families and loaded with Apple bee's and chain restaurants? In your experience is that true? We love the outdoors, our dogs and small town charm of local stores etc which I know Bloomfield most likely is more commercial, but I am not sure of another area that would better suit us. We don't love big cities / large amounts of traffic but are willing to deal.

I am rambling now, any information on the area is helpful, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:26 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Sounds like you've done a fair amount of research. Good for you, you're a leg up in your search.

We have many threads in the forum on Broomfield and other nearby areas; suggest use our search tool, especially the advanced version.

Our truest regards to your husband for his service and to you for being a service wife. All the best to you both in this transition.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Check out downtown Louisville for a little small town charm. The downtown area of Longmont is also really cute and feels different than your typical suburb. They have really fixed it up over the last few years. Golden might also be an option, if you don't mind a little longer commute. Otherwise anything near Broomfield is going to be suburban in look and feel.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,841 times
Thank you very much! We appreciate it

Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL528411 View Post
Hello!

My husband is leaving the Marine Corps next year and planning on attending college. We are trying to get out of North Carolina and have had our eyes set on Colorado. I have an Environmental Health Science Degree and currently work in Environmental Consulting.

Based on some research, there seems to be a decent amount of opportunities for green jobs near Denver and being that the University of Colorado is located in Boulder, we thought we could make this move work for both of us.

We don't necessarily want to live in downtown Denver city area. We would like to live in Boulder but I keep seeing that it is super expensive. I have been looking at Bloomfield as it seems to be in the middle of Boulder / Denver so that way he can commute for school and I can commute for work.

Apartments are still pretty pricey in the Bloomfield area but I think we can make it work. ~1400 a month

Does anyone from the area have any feedback in general on the Boulder / Bloomfield / Denver area?
Also any feedback on the university of Colorado boulder campus and the general "vibe". My husband is strictly going for school and does not care for the whole frat and sorority experience which I know is a bigger part of some colleges. Is there any older students or is it all fresh out of high school students?

I have seen that Bloomfield is more suburbs for "rich" middle age families and loaded with Apple bee's and chain restaurants? In your experience is that true? We love the outdoors, our dogs and small town charm of local stores etc which I know Bloomfield most likely is more commercial, but I am not sure of another area that would better suit us. We don't love big cities / large amounts of traffic but are willing to deal.

I am rambling now, any information on the area is helpful, thanks!
Just to be picky, it's Broomfield, not Bloomfield. Boulder is expensive, though there are some decent prices to be found.

CU is a big school, there are lots of grad students there. Those students are older. A lot of the faculty members live in Boulder as well.

Broomfield is a family suburb for sure. I wouldn't call it "rich". There are areas that have bigger, larger homes than others.

I agree that downtown Louisville has a lot of "charm" and "old time" feel to it. I have lived in Louisville since 1982. It's a great place to raise a family. It has gotten on the expensive side, too, these last few years, but again, there are more and less expensive homes there.

I'm not crazy about Longmont, and I think living in Longmont would make for a long commute for you, OP, as you are most likely to find a job in Denver or the close-in suburbs. If you found a job in Boulder, Longmont would be fine for commuting purposes.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:06 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree that downtown Louisville has a lot of "charm" and "old time" feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It has gotten on the expensive side, too, these last few years, but again, there are more and less expensive homes there.

I've had several dates along the main street in Louisville, nice outdoor seating (2nd story deck, wide sidewalk with tables) and a definite charm. After most (brunches primarily) a long walk around that area, to get a feel for the home/yard sizes. Some are really cute. Each home has its own "flair" - few cookie-cutter patterns/layouts, to my eye.

Coming south from Gunbarrel, a large sign advertising "Townhomes - from the low 600's" on the approach to town. Rows of blocky brick boxes wedged between the highway (well, busy secondary road) and the train tracks. Pavement, dust, and gravel. Looking on-line at these homes, yah they look spacious and sparkly-new, pretty good sizes too, but most were selling in the $700k - $850K range.

I cannot say how many trains pass on that section of track nor how much they slow down for the sake of the folks living nearby.

Think I will continue to sit on my pile of cash from my home sale in Maryland and wait for this housing market bubble to pop. (I keep saying that ...)

Old 08-10-2018, 11:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^I don't like those homes you described either, and I think people are nuts to live by the RR tracks. There are many other nice homes in Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area