Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:11 PM

401 posts, read 482,571 times

Advertisements

From a value standpoint, Erie is going to be the more affordable option, however prices are getting up there in Erie too, especially in the new communities. They both have small downtown areas but I would say Louisville has better dining/unique options. Schools are great in the Louisville area and are definitely improving in Erie. Both are family friendly communities, actually most neighborhoods and communities out North are family focused. Rec center, parks, playgrounds and options like Ninja Warrior, climbing and other kid rec opportunities are abundant.

As for Erie being snobby, I guess it depends who your neighbors are? I have lots of friends/clients that live there that are far from snobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 AM

567 posts, read 1,461,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Why?
Personal impression: Louisville seems overrated. Well-oiled city propaganda machine in effect. Small / cramped feeling to it, small lots, a bedroom community in general, insanely-priced houses.

Nothing special about it, other than a downtown that tries to be more than what it is actually. The only positive about it is the better schools, if you compare against Erie or Lafayette, that is. But you can still find great schools in both Superior and Broomfield.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Personal impression: Louisville seems overrated. Well-oiled city propaganda machine in effect. Small / cramped feeling to it, small lots, a bedroom community in general, insanely-priced houses.

Nothing special about it, other than a downtown that tries to be more than what it is actually. The only positive about it is the better schools, if you compare against Erie or Lafayette, that is. But you can still find great schools in both Superior and Broomfield.
Do you have any evidence for this "well-oiled city propaganda machine"? Louisville was just named #1 city again by some media outlet. Of course, in this large country, no one city is going to be "the best" but most people know that's a lot of hype.

As for small lots, Louisville is hardly the only community in the area with that issue. In fact, some of the older homes in Louisville, and I'm talking 40-50 year old houses, built in the 70s/early 80s, have larger lots than you will find in most homes in Superior which was built up starting in the later 80s and on into the 90s. Broomfield has a variety b/c it has older homes, some going back to the 60s, that have larger lots.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,176,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnViking View Post
Can you guys tell me about Superior? Is it also a family friendly area or catered more to young singles?

Is it a low crime area?

Some info would be greatly appreciated!
I sold my home in Louisville in the late 90's. Great area! Great for kids! Superior isn't that old. It used to be just rolling hills before the 90's. The first houses that were being built there were 6000 square foot homes that went for $380,000. Today they are a million dollars. Very pricey to live there and a very small town.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 PM

124 posts, read 173,120 times
Louisville is definitely overrated. Not sure why it keeps getting on those lists. It's just another small midwestern town that is getting more crowded by the day and slams up monster track home overnight that are cheap regardless of how much they sell for -- and besides that the restaurants are all mediocre to terrible, especially the mexican ones. Moxie is however a great bakery. I know I will upset certain people here who are VERY protective of Louisville but as I lived there I have my own opinion. Louisville is ok, safe enough, but really nothing special.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:08 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,685,592 times
I've lived in Erie since 2005 and love it for the most part. There is always something going on, it seems, and the ball fields/rec center on County Line are constantly hopping with activity. Yes, the area is expanding rapidly and home prices are rising along with that (our house has appreciated more than $250,000 since 2005). Prices for identical homes on the Weld County side of Erie generally sell for less than the Boulder County side, sometimes for many tens of thousands less. People pay big bucks for desired location.

Highway 7 can be a complete nightmare during rush hour and is only getting worse during non-peak hours. County Line flows smoothly enough. Other area roads are pretty packed during busy times, as most are still only one lane each direction. They're working on expanding, but that will take some time.

Pretentious/snobby? I don't know. I don't really see it. There are many nice homes, but it's not Cherry Hills. Average household income is above $100,000, but that's not really considered wealthy anymore, at least not in the Denver/Boulder areas. The vast majority of the population includes young families with kids. The area is swarming with families riding their bikes, playing soccer, etc. on warm weekends.

Old Town Erie has a nice downtown area with a few good eateries/bars. It's really quite pretty during summer with pots of colorful flowers abounding. It's never really what I would consider "bustling", but some places do their fair share of business. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the local population still commutes to surrounding communities like Lafayette or Boulder for a more lively street scene.

All in all, the entire area around Boulder/Louisville/Superior/Lafayette/Broomfield/Erie is whatever you want it to be. It's quintessential suburbia. It's nothing less than that and not much more. There are denser lots, multi-acre lots ($$$), single family units, multi-family units, parks, winding biking/walking paths everywhere, quaint downtown areas, strip malls and big box stores and restaurants. Not really sure how this differs from most suburban areas across the U.S.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,286 times
Superior has great schools and is very close to the HW36 and the e-470 to airport. plus airport bus is close by. Some cool trails nearby and lots of open space. All the boulder county communities are pretty awesome. Superior can be a bit more stepfordish. Lafayette a bit more hippyish. Louisville kind of in the middle there. Erie imo if you work in Boulder or Denver would lead to longer commutes. Closer to Longmont though.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
I moved from San Diego to Boulder County, and didn’t bring equity with me. I’ve found Boulder/Louisville/Erie/Superior to be generally progressive. You will not find it welcoming if you are a Social Conservative. I see how representatives from the local Republican Party are treated at the community fairs in the area. Openly mocked. Same with people openly supporting Donald Trump.
I don’t find the area of Louisville/Superior overrated at all. There’s an amazing sense of community here that I have never experienced anywhere else.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM

2,066 posts, read 891,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
^^^^Yeah, I would second that question. Nothing wrong with Lafayette, Broomfield or Superior, but Louisville is awesome. Awesome communities tend to be expensive.

Make sure you pronounce the "s" in Louisville, it isn't "Louie-ville" like in Kentucky. I made that mistake early on and was the target of scorn and ridicule for a minute or two.

My current effort is to get away from pronouncing Nev(a)da, Arv(a)da, Color(a)do with an (a) that rhymes with "armada", instead with an (a) as found in "radical". Sounds a bit Massachusetts-ian to this former Marylander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area