Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workerdrone View Post
A solid reliable used car will cost $20k? Really?

You can buy solid reliable used cars easily from $3k to $10k - just don't do it from a dealer. Private sale is the only way to go, ...
Heck I could buy a reliable used car for 1-2k it just won't be newer or pretty.
very true... and very possible. I could buy a reliable used car for 1-2k = $3k, very ez I have bought (3) T&C minivans for under $1200 within the last 3 yrs. (very serviceable, I expect 100k future 'repair free miles' from each) Normal service is ~$0.03/ mile

I limit my Private Party searches to (One owner, for sale By Owner) only to brands & models I consider reliable / capable of longevity.

I have only paid $20k for a motorhome ($60k retail price).

There are plenty of excellent 'pre-owned'

I will not buy from a dealer or 'flipper' (Insurance / wholesale auction sales)

for OP:
Start here...https://mydmv.colorado.gov/_/

There will be unique (1 time only) costs with first registration / licensing / sales tax (Significant, potentially $1000+, depending on value / sales tax)
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/new-colorado-0

followed by annual expenses ~100 - $500+ (registration / licensing / emissions (based on age of vehicle))
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/faqs-emissions
https://www.emissions.org/loc/colora...sions-testing/

Owning a car in USA is DIRT cheap (compared to Singapore).. Most people in USA own 2 or more cars / trucks, motorbikes...

Grand news... you are NOT cc constrained in USA... you can finally get your Harley for under $100,000,

As well as a USA MUSCLE car with abundant cc's (nice for high altitude if you don't have a turbo) (not a 1500cc 'pretend' car)

As we say in USA... "No replacement for DISPLACEMENT" (usually considered HP = BIGGER cars / pickup trucks). My SGP National friends who are USA residents REALLY like their big engines / guns / motorcycles. Most drive an upscale Toyota such as a 'white color Sequoia'. (Not a bad choice for a Boulder resident). You will fit right in while waiting in school line to fetch your student! So instead of a Taxi Queue, you will be burning petrol in a 'Drive-up' queue...(School, Starbucks, In-and-Out, KFC, McD, Taco Bell (will be new to you!). This activity really helps add to the front range 'Brown Cloud!'

Worthy of considering when we each make that simple choice... (turning the key ON..., and choosing to 'Eat IN' or wait in 'drive-up' line.
http://atoc.colorado.edu/~fasullo/10...ls/bcloud.html
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/....1997.10464447
https://www.5280.com/2018/08/ozone-l...e-front-range/

So... you can consider that when you buy your next vehicle! (each of us)

For city (suburban) dweller... a hybrid / EV is a pretty good 'healthy' option in Front Range. You can always rent a petrol car if you need to drive to Yellowstone or similar (very cheap). $9.99 / day on Enterprise offerings. Last month we rented 2x in Denver for $6-$10 / day + airport fee (~$12 / day) Subaru Outbacks each time (even tho we specified a 'Compact') . Renting from local Office (non-airport) is less expensive. (We have a special 'rental' extension on our conventional auto insurance policy ~$10 / yr adder)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-01-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:23 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workerdrone View Post
A solid reliable used car will cost $20k? Really?

You can buy solid reliable used cars easily from $3k to $10k - just don't do it from a dealer. Private sale is the only way to go....
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
A solid reliable used car will cost about $20k on average. Depending on your needs you can find a nice used car for $10k.
I did not read anything in the original post to lead me to believe the person had a vast understanding of automobiles or familiarity with local mechanics like you do. Also, because the person is from Singapore and probably not familiar with driving in the snow I assumed they would be getting an AWD vehicle.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I did not read anything in the original post to lead me to believe the person had a vast understanding of automobiles or familiarity with local mechanics like you do. Also, because the person is from Singapore and probably not familiar with driving in the snow I assumed they would be getting an AWD vehicle.
As Workerdrone mentioned... One does not have to 'know-anything-about-cars' to buy / drive a $1k - $3k used car. It is a fallacy that a $30k car will require less care than a $300 car. I am continuously using my $35 car and hauling my neighbors to the dealer for recalls / repairs on their $30,000 cars / truck / SUVs.

My $35-$100 cars have never darkened the door of a dealer in my 3m miles use and ownership. Tho... for $70 / hr...(<$300 total) they certainly could visit a fix-it shop every 12 months or so.

Many EXCELLENT fix-it shops in Longmont and Boulder. NoCo auto owners are often 'sustainability conscious', and consider that their 1970's - 2000 used cars have saved a bundle of natural resources and didn't require a bundle of energy / chemicals / hazardous waste generated to manf a 'new' (plastic intensive) car that will immediately begin it's degradation lifespan. (UV (and salt and Calcium Chloride) is TOUGH on COLO cars). Good idea to buy that 'used car' in CA, NV, AZ, TX, (I get most of mine from TX, used car bargain spot of USA) not ideal for OP, but very doable for many.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-01-2019 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 33,062 times
I was reading a lot of threads and should have re-read before posting; did not realize the OP was from Singapore and had no experience with US car prices.

OTOH I encounter so very many US people who think they need to spend 10, 15, 20 thousand or more to get a drivable, safe car - and that they need a warranty to sleep at night.

Sounds like Stealthrabbit and I are much on the same page - if you don't have extra cash, you'll be far better off in the end buying a cheap reliable car with maybe 100k-ish miles on it and paying for the occasional repair than you would buying a much newer vehicle. There is no guarantee that spending more will get you something actually more reliable.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:35 PM

401 posts, read 487,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM18 View Post
I have got a job offer with 95k annually in Longmont. Will this be good enough for 3 family members if we stay in Boulder? My 4 years old son will be studying in public school in Boulder.
I have no idea about cars but it seems like that was covered in this thread As far as living in Boulder with 95,000 and four people it will be tight! I think you would be better looking in and around Longmont. You can still find good schools but housing will be much more affordable.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,694 times
Not four people. Actually 3

Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 547 times
$95k is a bit tight after deducting your health insurance, tax (state and federal), Medicare 401k.. etc.. Rent for 2 bedrooms condo around here is about $2k average or to buy $450k-600k depending location. Restaurant average eating is about $15 a person plus 20% tips. Well.. we have Singaporean community here in Denver metro and Boulder surrounding area that we meet up regularly to “Makan” (eat) !! No hawker center here.. just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area