Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: find a job, teacher, traffic, college, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 11,847 times

Advertisements

Hello :-) I feel like my head is about to explode bouncing North Carolina and Colorado as places to live - back and forth in my head.

I'm originally from Rochester, NY and moved to Charlotte, NC for a Teaching position. I can teach in NC without being certified (as I only have a B.A. in English)....

North Carolina is not working out - small minds and stiff conversations are killing me.

Yet, being a Teacher is something I have learned to love - I think I'd be a better counselor actually.

Here's my dillema - I don't want to go back to school right now because I spent almost 6 years getting my B.A.

And I want to move to Boulder, Colorado. I couldn't tell you exactly why either - I want to head west. I've lived on the east coast my entire life, both north and now south.

I'm looking for a place where I can be surrounded by nature and more laid back people who have open minds about the world. Hiking, ditching my car and riding a bike to work, music, etc...

I'm afraid I guess of what will happen, although I've moved plenty of times before (I went to 6 colleges)....

I guess I'm 25 now and I don't want to make immature decisions. Yet, who has fun growing up and staying in the same atmosphere based on fear?

I am 25 - which means I can still make a move like this - and time is running out. I'm single with a dog and I just want to go live surrounded by mountains.

I've told people about it here at work and they suggested Asheville, NC - yet I haven't heard the best reviews.

I want to go to Colorado so bad.

I need a job! What are my chances? I thought about applying to teach, but at this point I just want to make sure I have a job to support myself with living expenses.

Am I crazy for wanting to head west?

It just feels right. I guess I'm just scared.

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:44 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I don't know what you need in Colorado to be able to teach - I'm sure others can answer that question. I'm sure you already know that Boulder is very expensive to live in but there are lots of nice towns surrounding it that are a lot more reasonably priced. I think you definitely should have a job before you relocate and, if you can, come out here for a few days to check out the area and see what you think once you're actually here. It can be a great place to live, but I'd hate for you to come all this way and then be disappointed.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Joanimal, I moved to Colorado when I was your age. My only reference was the tv show "Mork & Mindy". I visited for only 2 days but the minute I drove over Davidson Mesa I knew I had found my home. I went back to where I was living, got a second job to save up money, and within a year I moved here. I did not know a soul, I didn't have a job lined up.
I agree with chilaili, if you have never been here you should visit and see how you feel. Then follow your heart.
Twenty-six years later I know it was the best decision I ever made (next to marrying my husband).
Good luck!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 18,226 times
Just 6 months ago I had moved to Colorado from Washington D.C. In a way I was in similar shoes. I had the opportunity to leave my job and transfer out here. I figure why not, it's something new to see. It's cheaper, I can afford a house, No traffic. Well you know what I have second guessed that decision ever since coming out here. I'm 24 yrs old, single, and thought it be the perfect time for me to do this.

Since I've been out here, it's been an eye opening experience. It's taught me a lot about myself and things that I enjoy. So, if you're looking to learn about yourself they by all means give it shot. I really thought that this was the time when I was finally going to settle down and call some place home. I haven't gotten that feeling at all. In fact I'm already ready to move.

There was a lot of misconceptions that I had about Colorado. I thought it was going to be my cheaper alternative to California (I'm from Pennsylvania originally). Which is where I wanted to move since High School. This place really can't do CA a justice. The only thing that's similar about them is the endless sprawl, and the sunny weather. Aside from that I never gotten a 'worldly city' feel here. If you want to talk about small minds give CO a shot. The only interesting people I've meet here were the out of towner's or transplants. The natives think that traveling up to Arvada is a big Thanksgiving Day trip. I guess that's where there family is, but it's hard to grasp the isolation in this area.

Back East and in CA I really feel like there is so much more to see and do. People seem more culturally diverse. Maybe when I was back East and heard someone was going to visit Boston to see relatives, it was an ooohh ahhh moment. When I hear people here say that they are visiting relative in Colorado Springs. I'm like so what it's a 45 minute drive.

So after coming out here, I'd be fine by moving back to the East coast, even though I've lived there my entire life. Maybe if you haven't made the leap to another area you couldn't comfortably say that, but if you want to make the move while you're young then definitely do it. I can't say I totally regretted it. I'm not happy here, but what I learned and experienced was worth it.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM

Thank you to those who responded... There is much truth from strangers, because there's no obligation to keep in touch. Secrets can be shared as a passer-by more easily.

I've moved several times in my life (I went to 6 colleges in KY, NY, and PA). I moved 25-30 times within 5 years time...

And I took a teaching job in NC, because I can teach without being certified.

I guess it's about the quarter life ... crisis? I like the crisis - it pushes me to find my way...

I woke up this morning in North Carolina, with Gizmo, my dog and no x boyfriends in sight to weigh me down. I have a friend who says he's in love with me and would move with me anywhere - yet I'm going through my quarter life thing - trying to let it all settle in that my life has turned up here.

I just want a place where it is peaceful to write. I want to be in awe by nature, since I find people to be so disappointing - never understanding and always looking out for what they want out of me.

Yet, we're all just one and the same - human.

Its crazy how much people move these days ... and the economy is getting worse, making me nervous to leave the stable teaching gig. And I love the kids ... no matter who badly behaved - I'd rather be with youthful energy than to be surrounded by miserable adults all day.

Who knows where the wind blows.

I'm going to visit CO and see for myself -- because everyone has their own opinions of where they are in life - of their surroundings. And from all the moving I did - I find no where to be any kind of utopia.

I have some soul searching to do.

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST (saw it on a bumper sticker about 4 years back).

Peace. Love. Hope.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM

27 posts, read 119,269 times
Snap out of it. Many of us have moved a lot until we found a place we liked. But moving 25-30 times within 5 years time? It starts to sound like you're running from something instead of to it. There's a good chance that moving to this "idllyic Boulder" won't solve anything. If you want to see another new part of the country, do it, but don't expect things to truly change unless you're really working at it.

Anyhow, you're a teacher and I assume you have summers off. I say, go to Craigslist, find a furnished summer sublease in Boulder (lots of students CU students are trying to sublease their apartments now for Summer vacation - mostly in good locations). Drive out and spend the summer - work if you need to, or tool around and write if you don't have to. Your job will be waiting for you back in Charlotte. If you really like it, plan your move for next summer. Or just keep doing the same thing each summer but somewhere new.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM

I ended up driving to Colorado, after I was laid off from my job. I stayed in Breckenridge and Boulder. Breckenridge was unreal. I loved it. At 10, 000 ft I wasn't used to losing my breath so easily. The mountains touched the sky. I felt really safe there. And I'd have stayed, but like sumgai187 said I need to snap out of it. I'd live in Colorado, as long as I had a boyfriend or a friend to live with. I'm definitely sick of being alone far away from home.

In Breckenridge, I stayed with people I'd never met before, but they were from home and knew my roommate. And I know I'll always remember them. It's funny, the people I meet when I get myself into crazy experiences.

My friend Anne told me that Native Americans believe each direction has spiritual meaning; north = where your ancestors come through to guide you, guardian angels' entrance, open up and ask for their help, ask them to guide you; south = life, love; east = New beginnings, new ideas, pure thought; west = Where you go to throw out your negative, letting go of the past.

After being in all four directions, I'd have to say I believe in it.

Driving west changed my life and it's a story I'll hopefully tell my grandkids one fine day. I drove west and threw out my negative, for sure. There's lots of space to do it, especially in Kansas, which has the most open space I've ever seen.

Moving around, running away, I know it was just me being young and naive, and adventurous. sumagi187, have you ever left home/walked out your front door for that matter?

I believe that everyone has to leave home in order to fully love it. The yin and yang principle. I can even go as far as saying I never knew how much I loved someone until they weren't there; hence funerals and how people cry and say things they should've said and done while the person who died was still alive. But, this is life and there's only one direction we can ever go, which is forward.

I've learned my lessons. I know that home is where I ran away from, and it's exactly where I want to be now.

Kevin, the friend I stayed with in Colorado - he said to me, "Joanne! No matter where you go - Colorado, Charlotte, NC, Philly, or Rochester, it doesn't matter. You need to stop answering your phone when x boyfriends call. Begin again, no matter where you are. And the only way to do that is within yourself."

Kevin is from Rochester and moved to Breckenridge 6 years ago.

All in all . . . I am a curious soul and I wanted to see Colorado, so I drove cross country by myself to do it. At least I do things to try and better my soul.

I get it now - it's all within myself. . . It does suck that I am realizing this when I am jobless and living at home with the support of my family. The economy sucks and I can't find a job. Go figure. My Dad wants me to join the military, but that would just be running.

I'm here to stay, even if I have to shovel **** to do it. I'm home and finally facing it.

p.s. the best food in the world is in NY. Soil is much better than clay.

p.p.s. I miss my students like crazy. I miss having that limitless impact on the world. Hopefully someday I'll teach again.

Peace. Love and chicken grease.

Last edited by Joanimal; 04-13-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,351 times
I love Breckenridge too. We've been to various parts of Colorado, and the mountains are the best. But there's no way to make a living in Breck and limited job opportunities - unless you want sales/retail/seasonal work, and that's not something with which you can build a solid career. That's why we are considering the Boulder area - near Denver and larger job markets.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Joanne, as Yogi Berra once said: no matter where you go, there you are.

I left the east almost 4 years ago, won't go back (except for the crabcakes in Baltimore - aka Charm City).

Don't fret the x-boyfriends, there's a million guys out there. Be yourself. Be interesting - and you'll draw interesting guys.

Avoid the military, it isn't for you.

Enjoy life's journey. You'll do fine.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 23,341 times
Wink Boulder vs. Denver

Hey all,

I'm currently 25 (single, female) going thru a quarter life crisis. That's right I'm trying to figure out what exactly to do with my live and where to go. I'm a graphic designer by trade, but really could see myself doing just about anything creative. I'm looking into the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design in Denver for the Web Design Certif Program. I'm in Erie, PA right now but looking for a move to a more creative city with lots to do. I'm drawn to Boulder and Denver due to the beautiful landscape and 300+ days of sunshine (which I hope isn't a lie because here in Erie it's almost always gray and cloudy). I love being outdoors and can handle a true winter. I'm not a huge fan of snow but I've also heard that winters are somewhat mild in the fact that snow doesn't stick around too long. I've thought about moving south but don't enjoy walking outside and breaking into an instant sweat, yuck. Anyway, I'm considering Boulder and Denver. I like that Boulder is more of a small town feel with great start up companies. But I also like that Denver might have more jobs to offer. I'm pretty laid back and easy going, just looking for a great place to live that could offer and positive future. Also looking for a place that is pet friendly and isn't too expensive. Any advice on what city might be better?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area