Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 08:21 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times

Advertisements

I thought of a neighborhood you might want to look into. Bradburn in Westminster. It is built as one of the new fangled walkable neighborhoods (tiny lots), everyone knows everyone, loaded with kids. Walkable to Whole Foods, some restaurants, Westminster public library and other amenities. Does have some people working in Boulder there. I believe the schools are very good. Lots of trail access right next to it. Literally tons of biking trails right out your back door. Pretty close to the HMart area I posted which has a concentration of asian owned businesses so a higher likely hood of some diversity in the schools.

Here is an example for sale but it is pending:
https://www.recolorado.com/listing/2...ster-co-80031/
another pending listing:
https://www.recolorado.com/listing/2...ster-co-80031/

This is the only active listing I could find but I don't understand the configuration of two 'units'. Many of these were built with above garage apts but this seems different.

https://www.recolorado.com/listing/2...ster-co-80030/

In rereading your list of acceptable commute of 30-40 min it might even make that. Not on snow days but maybe regular. There was once a Bradburn poster who's spouse worked in Boulder so maybe if they see this they can chime in on the commute time.

Here is the city of Westminster Activities Guide. It gives you a good idea of all the kid related programs and activities.
https://www.cityofwestminster.us/Par...ActivityGuides

We live in the northern tip of Westminster and I can say we are very happy with the city government. I consider the city well managed. The other plus we have enjoyed living here is the location is well suited for a number of employment areas; Boulder, Longmont, Denver and along the I-36 corridor. We have lived here several decades and never had a problem finding jobs within commute distance. It is sort of in the middle of a triangle of good opportunities.

Last edited by mic111; 04-02-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 09:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Congratulations on the new job!

A couple of thoughts....

Fracking- It's everywhere. More prevalent to the East, but it's constantly moving West towards Boulder. The state laws make it impossible to stop, so it's better to plan for it by being on an interior lot in the neighborhood.

Rocky Flats- We don't know everything because the dept of defense keeps Rocky Flats top secret, but from what we do know the radioactive particles went Southwest. Places to the North should be fine. Personally I would stay away from area Leyland Gulch to the South.

Urban is tough in Colorado. How about walkable suburban? Bradburn is a good example, but I don't love the area for access to Boulder, but you could make it work.

I would recommend looking close to the downtowns of Louisville, Lafayette, an Longmont. Louisville is "nicer" and has already gentrified, but Longmont and Lafayette are changing rapidly.

You might be able to find something in Boulder, but it won't be very exciting. This is an example from my neighborhood. Also, there are attached houses like this one.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:27 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Member Bradburn1 hasn't been in here for about 18 months. Here's a thread with some of his/her input about the area of Bradburn.

I found a page about Bradburn that may be of interest, and a page of photos.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-02-2020 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 03:43 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
You might check out Prospect in Longmont Prospect New Town, Longmont, CO Homes for Sale, Neighborhood Events

Old 04-03-2020, 01:04 AM

12 posts, read 22,166 times
Great! Thank you. I will look into Bradburn. I appreciate the tip.

Before reading these recent posts, I had settled in on Superior and Louisville - but will take a look at these other areas.

As to the comment about fracking and living in an interior lot - does that help to minimize the smell and noise? Or is there another benefit?

Edited- So, Bradburn seems to be too far away from Boulder for my preference.

Longmont schools seemed to be lower in score compared to BVSD. Redfin had schools in Prospect New Town as 3s/4s, but Niwot HS is an 8. Is that due to the gentrification taking place? Is there that much difference between that school district and BVSD?

Last edited by Nufsed2018; 04-03-2020 at 01:41 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufsed2018 View Post
Great! Thank you. I will look into Bradburn. I appreciate the tip.

Before reading these recent posts, I had settled in on Superior and Louisville - but will take a look at these other areas.

As to the comment about fracking and living in an interior lot - does that help to minimize the smell and noise? Or is there another benefit?

Edited- So, Bradburn seems to be too far away from Boulder for my preference.

Longmont schools seemed to be lower in score compared to BVSD. Redfin had schools in Prospect New Town as 3s/4s, but Niwot HS is an 8. Is that due to the gentrification taking place? Is there that much difference between that school district and BVSD?
Interior lot only helps with visuals. The smell and noise are pretty pervasive. We don't even live in a neighborhood with fracking and we get the smell and the noise. We are like 8 neighborhoods away.

Prospect New Town is very cool looking but there isn't much around there. Too remote for my preference. However I have known people (retired) who really like it. Very modern.

Regarding schools you have to be careful as they like to put the fracking wells right next to school yards. Schools have playgrounds and tracks that more easily allow them to meet the set back requirements. Erie has some fracking pads right next to their schools. Also Weld county (but you aren't looking there, just saying for anyone else researching on this thread). We do have school choice so you can apply and get your kid into different schools through a lottery system.

Do you have a visit planned?

Edit: Regarding Bradburn, I agree it is a bit far and is on the hairy outside edge of your commute preference. I threw it out there due to it meeting all your other wants. And I personally like the development. But it is next to a trail system with open space and in my newly pesimistic mindset that is a possible fracking pad location. Basically any open space is. We were shocked and horrified that they found our beautiful open spaces right in the middle of suburban development acceptable locations so in my mind any open space is fair game. One reason we haven't moved is every place we have looked at seems to have a pad planned within 2 miles. Our hope is that the industry goes under because it is unprofitable. But in the mean time for the last three days we held our breath to the stink and rushed our dogs out to the bathroom and back in. Terrible smells!

Last edited by mic111; 04-03-2020 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 07:58 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufsed2018 View Post

By living on an interior lot you can cut the decibels in half. There should be noise ordinances that keep the decibels below a certain amount at night.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
By living on an interior lot you can cut the decibels in half. There should be noise ordinances that keep the decibels below a certain amount at night.
There are noise ordinances but the fracking companies don't care. They just pay the fine and keep going.

"The emergency noise ordinance was passed by City Council on January 14, 2020, limiting noise from industrial operations in residential areas between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. after a significant and increasing number of residents reported that the excessive noise from oil and gas operations was preventing their families, including children, from sleeping. This noise, and the resulting stress, anxiety, and sleep deprivation, may be causing adverse health impacts and is impairing the overall welfare of a significant number of residents, within their residential communities.
The first citation comes after Extraction failed to cease operations between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m., or to submit a noise modeling study that showed noise levels wouldn’t exceed the standards, or to seek a variance from the provisions; which they had 15 days to complete after the ordinance passed. Each day Extraction fails to comply is a separate violation and Broomfield will cite the operator every day the violation continues. Violation of municipal ordinances can result in a maximum fine of $2,650."

They just laugh at the amount, and keep going. The fine is not even a drop in the bucket to the amount they are paying to rent the equipment that makes the noise. They'd rather pay than shut the equipment down.

They also don't care about the smells.

The trigger cannisters register events after the fact and well after we've been breathing the chemicals. For example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y7f...9crqz1KrU/view

"It takes the lab at CSU approximately 5 days to process the results in the canisters. The reports
from the 3/24 and 3/25 canisters triggered near the Livingston pad can be viewed here and the
report for the 3/25 trigger located near Anthem Ranch can be viewed here."

Also they don't measure for all chemicals as the oil and gas won't release what chemicals are being used. They constantly try to use ones that don't trigger the alarms (so new non-measured chemicals) but we still smell them.

Last edited by mic111; 04-03-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 08:18 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
Yep, my husband still commutes to Boulder, the south side though and it’s 45 minutes in rush hour. Non rush is 25-35. When it snows more than a few inches, he works from home. We do have great schools and all the other things OP is looking for though.

I can say one thing, if you’re going to live through a pandemic where you can’t go far, man this place has been ideal for that, everything’s close or walking distance and the open space we have access to is saving my sanity. Also I can see neighbors and talk a bit but still keep our distance, makes me feel less isolated right now.

mic111 sorry to hear how fracking has affected you, that’s just terrible!

Old 04-27-2020, 08:25 PM

Bradburn,
Glad you chimed in!

Yes the fracking has been terrible. But oddly since the pandemic is it much better. Less smells and noise so maybe they have changed stages or had to stand down. Don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area