Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 08:21 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, was going to roll through town to visit CU Boulder and CSU Ft Collins with my 18 year old. Probably just one half day each visiting campus, roaming around the university areas. I definitely want to break it up with a day trip or half day trip out to Estes Park for a good hike since we have never visited the area. we can deal with moderate hikes and rapid elevation changes, but nothing technically difficult.

Would folks from around there recommend staying in Boulder one night, Ft Collins the other night? Or just pick a place in between like Longmont and use that as home base for two nights? Or pick one of the end points and stay there both nights? We will drive over from KC area in case that makes a difference. Would be nice to have some stuff nearby to walk (bar, breakfast, take out, jogging trail) but that's not super critical.

Marriott hoarder so going with whatever Marriott property looks best based on location.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
If you mean a hike in RockyMountain National Park, you need to get a time entry reserved on line just to enter the park. Plenty of hiking in the Boulder area.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
If you mean a hike in RockyMountain National Park, you need to get a time entry reserved on line just to enter the park. Plenty of hiking in the Boulder area.

Thanks for calling that out. Sounds like maybe we don't need to go an hour+ out of our way to find some good hiking closer to town. I'd be okay with that, although National Parks are great to check off the list. Is there significantly more recreation near Boulder than Fort Collins, such that it might be best to just stay two nights in Boulder? Save the 4-5 hour day trip for visiting CSU?

Old 08-27-2020, 08:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
I'd stay in one of the two college towns. Nothing wrong with the towns between, except their really boring. Might as well enjoy the college town vibes.

For hiking, Climb Mt Sanitas here in Boulder. It'll be a bit tough for someone not acclimated, but it's only 1.5 miles to the top but it's an iconic Boulder hike and the views of the city are awesome.

RMNP is great, but if you're here to look at colleges I don't think I would go there. Getting there and back plus a hike will burn a day.

What is the attraction to Colorado schools? Skiing? Hiking? Fishing? Jam bands and tie dye?

Old 08-28-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I'd stay in one of the two college towns. Nothing wrong with the towns between, except their really boring. Might as well enjoy the college town vibes.

For hiking, Climb Mt Sanitas here in Boulder. It'll be a bit tough for someone not acclimated, but it's only 1.5 miles to the top but it's an iconic Boulder hike and the views of the city are awesome.

RMNP is great, but if you're here to look at colleges I don't think I would go there. Getting there and back plus a hike will burn a day.

What is the attraction to Colorado schools? Skiing? Hiking? Fishing? Jam bands and tie dye?

Nice - thanks for the suggestion, and the advice of sticking near one of the two towns was exactly what I was thinking. Sounds like Boulder probably has more amenities and recreation in general. Maybe if we can stay an extra day we will try to make it out to RMNP because it sounds amazing, but maybe not the kind of thing that can be done in a morning or an afternoon. (recalling our trip to Yosemite... 2-3 hours would not cut it. Acadia, on the other hand, can be tackled in 2-3 hours, but that's a much smaller area).

yeah, my kid wants to get out of Kansas / metro KC, for the more chill environment and just to get some breadth of living experience. I don't blame him, and I'd be happy to come spend a few weekends per year visiting because I love hiking and drier weather and frou frou granola entertainment in general. It'd be hard for me to justify the quadrupling of educational expense, but I'm willing to entertain the notion, and maybe a visit to the area will bump up is ACT prep efforts 10%

Old 08-28-2020, 05:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
...(recalling our trip to Yosemite... 2-3 hours would not cut it. Acadia, on the other hand, can be tackled in 2-3 hours, but that's a much smaller area).
RMNP isn't on the level of Yosemite. There some beautiful spots, but there is nothing jaw droppingly unique like Yosemite Valley. It's more a great example of the Rockies.

Personally I think there are two ways to enjoy RMNP. The first is to drive Trail Ridge Rd up to the Continental Divide. You get the high country blue sky and some eye popping views. The second is either one of the all day hiking routes up to an alpine lake or a multi day backpacking trip.

Keep in mind that you will enjoy RMNP no matter how long you stay.

Quote:
... and maybe a visit to the area will bump up is ACT prep efforts 10%
As a parent of a HS senior I can relate! lol.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:46 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,682 times
I would stay in Boulder the entire time and just drive up to Fort Collins (CSU) for the tour. It's not much more than an hour drive and Fort Collins is kind of dull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area