Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 05:27 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

This is societal breakdown period, not a race issue.

Its tragic when lives are lost but you list 50 or so people who died in a country of over 300 million. We have lost almost 600k from covid. I would guess if society was breaking down we would have millions of dead people.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:57 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
So sad and upsetting. That used to be my Kroger when I lived in Boulder. I probably visited it like thousand times.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:43 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Also sad is the HORRIBLE job the media does. They were expert in saying absolutely nothing over several hours of coverage.
Granted, little info was provided to them, but why pre-empt regular programming to say absolutely nothing for 3+ hours?

Then there was that initial press conference. Postponed over an hour, three times, and they said absolutely nothing, as well. "This is an ongoing investigation." How hard is it to answer simple and straightforward questions such as how many are dead.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:16 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Also sad is the HORRIBLE job the media does. They were expert in saying absolutely nothing over several hours of coverage.
Granted, little info was provided to them, but why pre-empt regular programming to say absolutely nothing for 3+ hours?

Then there was that initial press conference. Postponed over an hour, three times, and they said absolutely nothing, as well. "This is an ongoing investigation." How hard is it to answer simple and straightforward questions such as how many are dead.
This is true. Then people wonder why those on social media go so crazy.

There was a man who livestreamed the entire thing on you tube. I guess he was in the store at the time? He yelled "call the police, there's an active shooter" but never put the phone down and even cursed and yelled at police offers who told him to move out of their way. From the video you learned much more about what happened than even the news is telling people now.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:26 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Milwaukee Coors Brewery Shooting, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (5 dead)

Virginia Beach Municipal Shooting, Virginia Beach, Virginia (12 dead)

Virginia Tech Shooting, Blacksburg, Virginia (33 dead)

Shall I go on?

Non-white perpetrators - what is their excuse?

Oh, I know. Whites MADE them do it.

This is societal breakdown period, not a race issue.
Of course they’re not all white. Just mostly. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

It’s not societal breakdown. It’s fragile men. https://wamu.org/story/19/08/13/many...vance-culture/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Hasn't anyone noticed

- During the Trump Administration, hardly any shootings or terrorist acts.

- Biden comes in, we are having one per month.

Give me a break.
Data are nice when attempting to make arguments like this. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50936575

Old 03-23-2021, 07:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Of course they’re not all white. Just mostly. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

Data are nice when attempting to make arguments like this. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50936575
Your link isn't a very good defense regarding if mass shootings are rising at even a higher rate during Biden.

Personally, I think violence has increased a lot since BLM and the anti-police movement started. That was when things really got going IMHO. We have always had mass shootings, but they are almost the norm now. Why? The media is making people nuts with the agendas they spew.

Hope Boulder heals okay. Shame, but this stuff is getting more normalized and part of life now.

I think BLM is having a huge negative effect on a lot of people's mental health. Makes sense.

https://www.jns.org/opinion/black-li...ass-shootings/

Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is true. Then people wonder why those on social media go so crazy.

There was a man who livestreamed the entire thing on you tube. I guess he was in the store at the time? He yelled "call the police, there's an active shooter" but never put the phone down and even cursed and yelled at police offers who told him to move out of their way. From the video you learned much more about what happened than even the news is telling people now.
OMG, I saw some of that. I didn’t realize at first what it was. Now that most of our media (like 9News) just really link to Twitter for everything, that livestream came up in one of the Twitter comments and I started to watch, thinking it was just news coverage from some other news source. I generally like to think of myself as tech-savvy but I wasn’t prepared for what was on that and I turned it off quickly.

I don’t use Twitter myself, but you can see some of what’s on there without having an account and logging in. I was really surprised by how -nasty- people were on Twitter. I get it, this is a tragic, terrible situation, but the amount of nastiness toward the media, police, random other entities, was really over the top. What a toxic environment.

Like for example, people were criticizing the police for noting that an officer had been killed, and insinuating that the Boulder PD was more concerned about their officer than any of the other victims. And then there was criticism about the first press conference (which I get it, they basically shared no detail) and how the police were not giving out much information. Then others were running with info that 6 people had died, when in fact it turned out to be 10. I’m guessing the police would have been put through the wringer, so to speak, had they first said 6 but then changed to 10. So it really seemed like a sad lose/lose situation. I try to keep in mind that I have absolutely no idea what it’s like to deal with a situation like what happened in Boulder and I hope to never have to. But it definitely seemed like the folks who were being so nasty and toxic on social media probably would have found something to pick apart in any circumstance.

I think this is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the victims and everyone impacted. But I guess as I get older, I like to wait and see what information is officially released before I draw conclusions. Another example is folks who claim that we have “no gun laws” yet, the during past couple of years, the Colorado State Legislature -has- passed laws related to guns, such as a limit on what they considered to be high capacity magazines as well as the red flag law. I believe but don’t know for sure that Boulder had some laws at the city level as well that went a bit beyond state law. I know we’ll have more information soon on how the perpetrator acquired his gun and what kind of gun it was, etc, so I’d rather wait and see more detail before joining the “we have absolutely no gun laws” bandwagon. It also seems like possibly the perpetrator was mentally ill, but I guess we’ll find out more about that too.

I guess people expect “instant gratification” but sometimes it does take time to figure out all of the details and exactly what happened.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 03-23-2021 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Fixed a typo

Old 03-23-2021, 07:51 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
As soon as the Covid started to die down the shootings have returned. That doesn't surprise me. Nor will the Politicians offering their thoughts and prayers. Yet nothing at all will be done. That is a certainty. Oh I do think Biden will try to do something. However he will be stopped in his tracks. Obama tried after Sandy Hook and got no where. If this country couldn't control these shootings after Sandy Hook. Then it doesn't care plain and simple.

All I know is this the US has become a pathetically sick and selfish country. Far to many people and Politicians don't care. I'm not being fooled. They care more about these assault rifles than people in public places. People that end up getting killed at schools, stores, the movies. The places are endless. Yet nothing at all is done because it's not important, to enough of the population to stop it.

I hope myself or family never will be a victim of these shootings. If sadly it ever happened. These worthless politicians and their followers, can keep their thoughts and prayers and choke on them.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Hasn't anyone noticed

- During the Trump Administration, hardly any shootings or terrorist acts.

- Biden comes in, we are having one per month.

Give me a break.

As per usual, Trump supporter get very selective about factual info.

Quote:
Las Vegas
Stephen Paddock, a 54-year-old white man, opened gunfire at a concert from the 32nd floor of a hotel, killing 58 people in the city in 2017.
Sutherland Springs, Texas
A white shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, opened fire on a small church in Sutherland Springs claiming 25 lives and an unborn child.
El Paso, Texas
Suspected gunman Patrick Crusius, 21, who is believed to hold white supremacist ideologies, killed at least 22 people at a Walmart.

Stoneman Douglas High School
A former white student named Nikolas Cruz, 19, unleashed gunfire at the school in Parkland, Florida, killing 17 children and staff members.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Of course they’re not all white. Just mostly.
You are forgetting a convenient detail.

USA
76% white
13.4% black

That being said, per capita looks like your point wouldn't work in a courtroom. Good try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area