Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 03:24 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You don't need tactical training to fire a weapon. I am not some Barney Fife with a gun. I am very experienced in shooting my weapons. Time is of the essence here. I can pull mine out in less than 10 seconds or everyone can wait 2-5+ minutes for the police to arrive. What situation would you like to be in??
Shooting a paper target at a gun range in your spare time is a lot different than whipping out a pistol and trying to take down a psychopath who's on a killing spree in a crowded store with a semi-automatic rifle. Average people do not have the training to make good decisions in an active shooter situation. Assuming that simply having a gun-toting "good guy" in the crowd will somehow end with a better outcome more often than not is folly.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:25 PM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
His sister-in-law described him as "mentally ill", and he complained numerous times about his inability to get a girlfriend on his Facebook account. He also expressed strong dislike for Trump's anti-immigrant policies but his views about Biden are unknown.

How someone with known mental issues and who publicly expressed intense hatred of various people including Trump, classmates, women in general, and so on was able to purchase an AK-15 boggles the mind. It seems clear to me that there needs to be a waiting period before weapons of this kind are sold, so the potential buyer can be checked out.
Certainly mental illness is a common thread with these shooting. I believe there are sensible changes to gun laws that could be made, but the two sides in politics rarely compromise anymore. It's become a winner-take-all system, and the gun lobby is currently the "winner" on this issue. If the power flips at some point I expect the changes will not be incremental.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:42 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Shooting a paper target at a gun range in your spare time is a lot different than whipping out a pistol and trying to take down a psychopath who's on a killing spree in a crowded store with a semi-automatic rifle. Average people do not have the training to make good decisions in an active shooter situation. Assuming that simply having a gun-toting "good guy" in the crowd will somehow end with a better outcome more often than not is folly.
I'm pretty sure those 10 people who disagree with you

Old 03-23-2021, 03:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
So why is CO home to so many shootings? Thats the big issue I see not being addressed.

Polis will probably let him off the death penalty lock him up for his life. Shouldn't even be a trial.
1. Polis can't "let him off" since COLO abolished the death penalty a year ago, one of 22 states to do so. If this ends up a Federal case (hate crime) the death penalty is on the table but not sure how the shooter's mental state may play into that.

2. Colorado has had some notable shootings, but this list from the recent 4 years puts COLO way behind TX, FL, CA, OH, PA, NV, i.e., a variety of red, blue and purple states. I don't think there are extenuating circumstances that make COLO more prone to such shootings.

Quote:
Fresno downtown shooting Fresno, California 4/18/2017 3 dead
Rural Ohio nursing home shooting Kirkersville, Ohio 5/12/2017 3 dead
Florida awning manufacturer shooting Orlando, Florida 6/5/2017 5 dead
Pennsylvania supermarket shooting Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania 6/7/17 3 dead
San Francisco UPS shooting San Francisco, California 6/14/17 3 dead
Las Vegas Strip massacre Las Vegas, Nevada 10/1/17 58 dead
Edgewood businees park shooting Edgewood, Maryland 10/18/17 3 dead
Walmart shooting in suburban Denver Thornton, Colorado 11/1/17 3 dead
Texas First Baptist Church massacre Sutherland Springs, Texas 11/5/17 26 dead
Rancho Tehama shooting spree Rancho Tehama, California 11/14/17 5 dead
Pennsylvania carwash shooting Melcroft, Pennsylvania 1/28/18 4 dead
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting Parkland, Florida 2/14/18 17 dead
Yountville veterans home shooting Yountville, California 3/9/18 3 dead
Waffle House shooting Nashville, Tennessee 4/22/18 4 dead
Santa Fe High School shooting Santa Fe, Texas 5/18/18 10 dead
Capital Gazette shooting Annapolis, Maryland 6/28/18 5 dead
Fifth Third Center shooting Cincinnati, Ohio 9/6/18 3 dead
T&T Trucking shooting Bakersfield, California 9/12/18 5 dead
Rite Aid warehouse shooting Perryman, Maryland 9/20/18 3 dead
Tree of Life synagogue shooting Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 10/27/18 11 dead
Thousand Oaks nightclub shooting Thousand Oaks, California 11/7/18 12 dead
Mercy Hospital shooting Chicago, Illinois 11/19/18 3 dead
SunTrust bank shooting Sebring, Florida 1/23/19 5 dead
Pennsylvania hotel bar shooting State College, Pennsylvania 1/24/19 3 dead
Harry Pratt Co. warehouse shooting Aurora, Illinois 2/15/19 5 dead
Virginia Beach municipal building shooting Virginia Beach, Virginia 5/31/19 12 dead
Gilroy garlic festival shooting Gilroy, California 7/28/19 3 dead
El Paso Walmart mass shooting El Paso, Texas 8/3/19 22 dead
Dayton entertainment district shooting Dayton, Ohio 8/4/19 9 dead
Odessa-Midland shooting spree Odessa, Texas 8/31/19 7 3 dead
Pensacola Naval base shooting Pensacola, Florida 12/6/19 3 dead
Jersey City kosher market shooting Jersey City, New Jersey 12/10/19 4 dead
Molson Coors shooting Milwaukee, Wisconsin 2/26/20 5 dead
Springfield convenience store shooting Springfield, Missouri 3/16/20 4 dead
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:13 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Dont happen at gun shows ,wonder why ?
No, I never wondered.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ft Lauderdale airport had one in 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_L...rport_shooting

5 dead, 6 injured plus 36 "fleeing injuries"

Dallas/Las Vegas both had shootings in Federal buildings in the last year.

Cloudy theory fail.
Nope, you fail. 1. The Fort Lauderdale incident was in an unsecured area after the guy claimed his bags. 2. Neither Dallas or Las Vegas have had shooting in a Federal Building in the last year or any time recently.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:27 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its tragic when lives are lost but you list 50 or so people who died in a country of over 300 million. We have lost almost 600k from covid. I would guess if society was breaking down we would have millions of dead people.
A few points I will have to, respectfully, disagree with you on.

The first is that 600k have died directly FROM the Covid-19 virus. If you choose to believe that, that is your choice. I choose not to believe that. I believe the numbers have been "cooked" and gamed from the beginning. I think there is a virus, but I don't think that many people have died from the virus alone.

The second is that a societal breakdown involves millions of people dying at once. I don't agree. What your speaking of is a calamity or catastrophe of epic proportions, like a nuclear war for example.

A societal breakdown happens in stages, one phase and element building on another, and then the next, and the next, each one insidiously contributing to a downward spiral. The unacceptable become the acceptable over the course of time; right and wrong are blurred, boundaries are taken away, lies and deception rule, etc. I've seen the slow downward spiral since coming to adulthood in the early 1980's. I used to have rose colored glasses on. But no more.

This shooting is horrible, but we are becoming numb to it. Terrible, but true.

We don't have evil guns. In countries where there are strong gun laws, stabbings have become common place.

We have evil. Evil people.

I think that is what is truly happening. Again, my view.

One final point. I knew, unlike others on social media that assumed the hesitancy to reveal the Colorado shooter meant that he was White, that it in fact meant that he was NOT White. They needed a little time to create the "but he's been in this country a very long time..." don't blame him because he's actually a Muslim immigrant narrative.

Our media. So predictable these days.

Last edited by RogueMom; 03-23-2021 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-23-2021, 05:38 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Mass shootings are not indicative of an area’s relative safety. There are fragile white dudes with AR-15s everywhere.
this aged well.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:38 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
In countries where there are strong gun laws, stabbings have become common place.
Where's your documentation for this bold statement?
How many mass stabbings are there?

Old 03-23-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Where's your documentation for this bold statement?
How many mass stabbings are there?
I remember the same day that the Sandy Hook massacre took place, there was a mass stabbing at the Chenpeng Village Primary School in China. 20 kids died at Sandy Hook. All 23 of the Chinese school kids survived. 20 dead Americans kids, vs 23 alive Chinese kids. It just doesn't seem like as big a problem.

Chenpeng Village Primary School stabbing - Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area