Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM

108 posts, read 469,786 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at houses for sale and don't know much about different parts of town. Anywhere I'd probably want to avoid?
I'm looking for a calm, safe area with mostly owner occupied homes (as opposed to rentals). Martin acres, South Boulder, Newlands mean anything to anyone? These are less expensive areas, apparently, so I'm wondering why. Any suggestions for less expensive areas (up to 400k) that aren't new cookie cutter homes in or around Boulder?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:11 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,884 times
Under $400k in Boulder that isn't a run-down, complete dump? Forget it.

You won't find anything, not even in Martian Acres...

You won't find any newer 'run of the mill' subdivisions either....Boulder people are far too fancy and special to allow for that to ever happen.

I'd suggest expanding your search to include Boulder County, and strike Boulder off your list. It's overrated and you're better off taking your money to Louisville, Lafayette, etc.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the photos of these places I found (that were in the mid-300's), they didn't look dumpy at all, just kind of plain.

I'll look at the towns you mentioned.
thanks

Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM

182 posts, read 668,302 times
Newlands is extremely expensive. I think there are a couple of tiny (under 1000 square feet) one or two bedroom ranches for around the 600k mark right now. This is my once modest neighborhood, and most houses now feature hot and cold running granite, etc. People are willing to pay a premium to be walking distance to Ideal, Vic's, and North Boulder Park, and within the boundaries for the highest rated (by test scores) North Boulder school.

Martin Acres is a real mix. It's almost all ranches, some renovated/updated, some not. There are quite a few student rentals but also lots of families. There are definitely a few places there in your price range, but probably the smaller, less updated ones.

The Table Mesa area west of Broadway is generally very nice. It is older homes many of which have been nicely redone, and it feeds into great schools- Mesa and Bear Creek elementaries. It also has the virtue of being on the Skip bus so it is super easy to get downtown. I doubt that there is much if anything under 400k.

Take a look at the Gunbarrel area (search on Heatherwood elementary). I think you will find a number of nice options under 400k- spacious homes built anywhere from the 60s to early 90s probably. This neighborhood is further out, but it's quiet, and you are near lots of nice trails and open space. There is one really kind of icky area over there- I think it Kalua and the streets off of it. It isn't a safety issue, just kind of trashy looking. I think everything else around Twin Lakes is pretty pleasant.

You could probably also find something nice up Sunshine or Boulder canyon, but I wouldn't advise anyone to buy mountain property right now.

For 300-400k you could find something in Louisville, which is an extremely nice town. You could find something in Superior as well, but it is all cookie cutter and no town. If you don't like your options in Boulder, I would look to Louisville.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks. Why do you say buying mountain property is not a good idea - because of the current RE market, or some other issue? I did see a few places 10 to 15 minutes outside of Boulder, that had Boulder addresses.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Oh, the recession.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,884 times
In some of the canyons, you'll be living in the cold shadows for 4-5 months out of the year. Not much fun. And the pine beetles are killing all of the lodgepole pines, which combined with an ongoing drought, opens up the mountains to extreme fire danger. Caveat Emptor to anybody who wants to 'live in the hills'...

Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM

182 posts, read 668,302 times
I wouldn't buy in the mountains now because of the beetles and the fire to follow.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Good to know! I never would have guessed that.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
I agree with Tropicana Rose's assessment. If you're willing to go a little farther from Boulder, Lafayette is a true diverse city with all types of housing, from very modest to quite high end. Ditto Broomfield, which is a little farther yet from Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area