Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 AM

857 posts, read 1,724,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicanaRose View Post
"..............As for snobbery, of course it is here, but I think you have to look for it, at least the O.C. variety. This is a university town and a fitness town. People are much more concerned with your academic/professional credentials and what your body can do than they are your fiscal bottom line. For all that people criticize Boulder for being shallow and showy, the things that people here care the most about are accomplishments............."
Interesting, but very sad post. They shouldn't care about others' "accomplishments" if they were truly liberal and tolerant towards other. Competing with your neighbors over academic or fitness records is shows narcissistic personality disorder. I'm an individualist, a Libertarian, and I compete against myself, not against others. If I go out with others on a bicycle ride, I don't compete with them, I enjoy myself and their company.

Sounds to me like Boulder is LEFT-brained dominant, more concerned with academic credentials and other achievements, rather than RIGHT-brained dominant, where the individual can be themselves.

How fast do the drivers drive there in Boulder? That's another indication of gluttony. In Santa Fe, they speed at 50mph into the Plaza on Cerrilos. In Flagstaff, Sedona, and Albuquerque, nobody speeds, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 AM

857 posts, read 1,724,873 times
Default Religious Tolerance

Originally Posted by azriverfan
"The valley has a significant Mormon population but unlike evangelicals, they don't push their views on you and are much more tolerant in general."

Reply from tom:
I agree with this observation about Mormons. Mormons are extremely diligent in their professions and have high standards of family life. Mormons and most fundamentalists do not go out of their way to convert their immediate neighbors. However, on a political level, I think many evangelical groups would be seen by certain groups to be intolerant at one point or another. For example, they are always trying to ban gay marriage, including The Mormons in Arizona and California who donated money to ban gay marriage in both states in the Nov. 2008 elections. Personally, as a social liberal, I have no problem with anyone's religion and I don't mind listening if they try to convince me that their way is the only way. I have very good friends of over 15 years who are fundamentalists. We never talk about religion.

What matters to me is to make sure in advance that the community I'm living in is tolerant to ALL types of people: fundamentalists, Mormons, atheists, gays, Jews, Hispanics, Native Americans, Immigrants, etc. Indeed, I would be concerned that Boulder would be too liberal for me, and that residents would hate fundamentalists, Mormons, Zionists, lower middle class people, conservatives, Libertarians, gun owners including Gunny Bob, hunters, fishermen, and newcomers to the community. What do you think?

(Can someone explain why if I respond to a post, it appears at the bottom of the list and not after the person who posted it?
)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area