Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times

Advertisements

I think you have a GREAT idea!

Don't let the others dissuade you; they are probably looking at this from the vantage of the life they have fallen into. Their reality is not yours, and by the sounds of it most eager to think of all the reasons why your dream cannot work. Although many of these points certainly considerations you will need to address in order TO make such a thing possible.

You might consider northern New Mexico. Certainly possible, although I recall a Rainbow gathering well outside a place as liberal as Taos still received a lot of grief from the authorities.

In Colorado two locations come to mind, and surely more possible. I can understand why you would consider Boulder, CO, but while it would meet many of your parameters, the cost of real estate alone might make it unsuitable. However the nearby mountain town of Nederland, CO might be suitable. Still expensive, but not in the same league as Boulder. And it resides but a relatively short commute from Boulder. Perhaps even better it is a place where a lot of hippies still live. In ambience it may be one of the closest fits you will find in Colorado.

Another possibility would be Crestone, CO. A very small isolated place, perhaps best known as the home of many eclectic religious orders who make their home just outside of town. I'm sure a lot of people around there wouldn't have any problem with your idea at all, and in fact love it. Price wise still not a bargain if you choose a spot near the mountains, unless perhaps well removed from town. But probably less expensive than Nederland, and certainly Boulder. Be aware that water will be more of an issue than further north. But lots of sun.

Perhaps you have, but if not a viewing of the 1969 movie 'Easy Rider' might be in order. Couldn't help but think of this film on reading your dream. Parts of this movie were filmed near Taos, such as at the hot spring.

Solar power is a great idea, although the initial equipment cost can be high and the payback usually measured in years. You can find a lot of great real life examples of its use around Taos. They are also great there (at least some are) about collecting rain water and otherwise using this resource wisely.

As for the vegetable garden, a super idea. Year round relatively inexpensive produce of superior quality. But of course in this climate you'll need to use a green house if interested in anything but one crop come summer.

Things like that cost money of course. And a lot of planning if done right. Not to mention work. Just to keep everyone in a commune on the same general page will require a lot of forethought and work. But that's okay, as long as you love it. Isn't that the point? To do what you love and not automatically follow another's dream and path?

Something you might consider along the way to getting there (and it is the journey, isn't it?) would be to spend some time at Kalani Honua:
Hawaii Retreat Center - Kalani Oceanside Retreat - Big Island, Hawaii

It is a commune of sorts with apparently much the same ambience that you are seeking. Located on the Big Island of Hawaii, it appears a tranquil place for learning. You can work and live there long term for a relatively modest sum. If nothing else it might provide you with inspiration and a better idea how to further realize your dream.

All the very best of luck.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
I really, really, really like the way you put that, Jazzlover!! I don't wear tie-dye, I don't wear a bra, I am broke now that I've got my tickets to Amsterdam but I really still don't want to join the mainstream haha. I've got two of the four qualifications hahaha!

So, maybe a commune is not the way to go; Then, what is a way to escape falling into this "trap". I honestly feel like I am doomed if I continue to just float on in society, ya know? When I am working all I can think about is how much of my life I am throwing away. My biggest regret in life WILL be working, I guarantee you that.

Remember: I AM TWENTY! I am supposed to think like this, right? Is it really as bad as I make it out to be? I really, really don't think I can do it.

"I think you will find when
Your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul"
Here's my advice: You have to work to live, you don't have to live to work. Find the balance that makes you happy. Better yet--find work that you love--then it's not really work anymore. I have had several different "careers" in my working life--I'm currently still working in a couple of 'em right now. A few of them I didn't like very well, but they gave me the experience to work into what I did like. One career that I didn't think I would like at all I wound up really loving. There were days I thought, "I can't believe I get paid for this!" When you enjoy your work and have a good attitude about it, working isn't a bad gig at all.

Don't assume that you won't have to sometimes do work you really hate in a commune. You will. And if you refuse to do it, you'll likely get the same result that you will working for "The Man"--you'll get your a** thrown out. That's just the "eat s*** and die part of life." No one rides for free.

The answer isn't to "turn on, tune in, and drop out." That's a bunch of crap, and always was. Engage. Read "What Color is Your Parachute?" Find out what, deep inside you, is "That thing you want to do." Then, go do it. Then learn, learn, learn--and never stop learning. In school. In the workplace. In your hobbies. Open your mind and let knowledge soak in--it's out there waiting for that spongy mass of your brain just to sop it up. Knowledge is power. Unless it is beaten out of you, it is the one thing no one else can take from you. You don't have to get rich to be happy, but I've never seen a happy starving person.

You don't have to live in a commune. We have semi-communal places now--they're called "communities." You don't have to work in a commune. We have communal places to work--they're called workplaces, businesses, government. Want to live and work really communally? Great place for that--it's called the military. They've made a science of it.

You're 20 years old. You're young, and you've got (hopefully) a lot of years ahead of you. Have fun, but set some goals and work toward them. Don't "float" in society--paddle.

Quote:
Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future. - Euripides

Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 PM

182 posts, read 668,411 times
Quote:
So, maybe a commune is not the way to go; Then, what is a way to escape falling into this "trap".
You will probably not like this one bit, but the best way to escape the trap is to make oodles of money. Jazz is very wise to advise you to find work that you love. Use your gifts and passions. Make the money flow TO you. More money= freedom, choices, and the power to help.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 AM

113 posts, read 720,003 times
Coloradoherewecome.......
Young and naive. Thats OK. But my first question would have to be, have you ever been to Boulder? And next would be, Why Boulder? Is it something you READ about?
Whats wrong with upstate NY? You live there now, and are more familiar with the area and politics. It would be easier to find young people there in the SUNY system (I assume thats the college system your in) to start up what your dream is, then in a place you have a "pipe" dream about.
I am 37 now, and thought the same way and did the same thing when I was your age. I have a wife and 2 kids, and we still talk about what your topic is about. We have been together 12 years, and finding just one other couple with the close to same ideas as us, is an extremely difficult task. But after owning land, and a house, in todays day and age, what your wanting to do with 15-20 people 18 yrs of age and older, is not a reality (yet). What another poster said would be a smart plan, find ONE other couple first, and talk among the four of you. Or better yet, get married to your BF, or status yourselves as "significant others", buy land on your own, learn what the taxes involved cost, then you could get a better idea about "how much RENT per month", per person/couple.
You mentioned about people from across the country who have shown interest, and asked you to "save a space for us", have you met them yet? I bet its been some more "pipe" dream emails, and maybe a phone call or two.
I wish I could remember the documentary I seen about a 40-50 year old, well educated man, who was an established architect, that owned 100+ acres, and wanted to do close to the same thing. Green, sustainable, communal living. The movie spanned about 10 years of him fighting the local government to allow him to do what he wanted to do on his own land. It might be worth searching out. It could give you a tiny peak of what is really involved in an endevour like what you want.
If your serious about it, a trip to Amsterdam (which is under the European anti-smoking laws) would not be a priority. Travelling about the country, and exploring local policies would be the smart thing to do.
One more thing, don't go defending yourself against some responses to your initial post, just appreciate the inputs, and ideals of others. You will come across some much harsher comments from local government to what you want to do.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
In a job, you work for someone, learn the trade THEN start your own business (if you choose and if you're good at what you do). So here you need to join someone else's commune, figure out if you like it/how to go about it and THEN start your own. Trying to start your own commune when you have no experience at all with it would be like me saying "think I'll start my own computer software company. I'll just buy a computer and the rest will come together, I'm sure."

Best bet though, yeh, find something you like. Move to a hippie area and work for a strawbale construction team, or work for someone who makes adobe, or work for someone who does something else which might be of itnrest and would put you around similar-minded people. You don't have to work for IBM but you do need to wrok unless you want to be dirt poor (and it might sound fun now, but a year from now you'll realize it's not).

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Your dollars will sure go a long way in Amsterdam these days...

Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjoh View Post
Coloradoherewecome.......
I wish I could remember the documentary I seen about a 40-50 year old, well educated man, who was an established architect, that owned 100+ acres, and wanted to do close to the same thing. Green, sustainable, communal living. The movie spanned about 10 years of him fighting the local government to allow him to do what he wanted to do on his own land. It might be worth searching out.
Coloradoherewecome...I think darjoh is talking about Mike Reynolds, the architect who began building "earthships" west of Taos, New Mexico some years ago. I suspect individuals have been looking to separate themselves from the status quo and build Utophia just about ever since there were enough individuals on the planet to think of such a thing. I would really encourage you to go out to some locations (such as the one west of Taos) and talk with those who have been involved in alternative communities for years. See what they have to say about the good, the bad, the pitfalls, etc. And if I'm not mistaken, I think a certain number of those people living in those communities west of Taos collect a government check because they can't make it on their own. It's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to really be independent. Even people who think they are independent...who say they don't need the government or anyone else tend to drive on the roads built with taxpayer funds in cars built with a plethora of government regulations in effect, and they have faith (whether they know it or not) that the trucks will keep rolling food to the local grocer. The list goes on and on if one just thinks about it.

I could say a million other things here about this topic but I won't. I mainly just wanted to jump in and respond to darjoh's comment since I think the reference was about Mike Reynolds. Do an internet search and you'll find some interesting info.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:15 PM

229 posts, read 750,718 times
So am I the only one still in? It sounds like all of you talked to the Leader out of it. Man, all you guys are working for your cars or your trips to Amsterdam.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 PM

113 posts, read 720,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I think darjoh is talking about Mike Reynolds, the architect who began building "earthships" west of Taos, New Mexico some years ago.
Yes thats it. Garbage Warrior. I seen it on the Documentary channel a few months ago. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM

97 posts, read 383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Oh, poor baby, having to WORK to get by in life. Oh, the horror. You should either marry into money or move to San Francisco and beg.
First of all, I said my biggest regret will be working, yes, meaning that I will regret all the time I spent at work while I could be outside enjoying life and doing other things so you completely twisted my words around. Thanks for that. Second of all, my family has PLENTY of money. My step dad is one of the top lung surgeons on this planet so you can stop with the sarcastic "poor baby" bull____. I have not once spent one cent of my families money, not for my car, not rent, not insurance (car, renter's or otherwise), not even for college. I am one-hundred percent self-sufficient, thank you. I was simply stating that I would rather not get a traditional 9-5, I would rather live simply and free of any ties. Lastly, I would NEVER move to San Fran, or Cali in general. It seems like a big joke to me. Arnold Schwarzenegger is your governor, how can you be taken seriously? Hahaha.

Last edited by ColoradoHereWeCome; 07-16-2008 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area