Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 83,085 times

Advertisements

Want to move to the Boulder area and thought maybe Longmont would be cheaper to live, am I right? Don't want to pay over $800 a month rent for 2 br apt at the beginning. I am an award winning chef but have only worked in my own places so I don't know about the scene there.... I was also a Personal Chef in mansions in Chicago.... anyone know if there is that type of work there?
Don't have much money but am a hard worker and quite talented, think I stand a chance?
I cook: French, Italian, American, Thai, Chinese, Greek, but specialize in Antique Classic Mexican Cuisine and have awards and critic's reviews too.... I'd appreciate a head's up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:38 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
I'm not sure you'll be able to find rent that cheap, even in Longmont.....

Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,000 times
You might find a 2Br in Boulder for $850, which is pretty much the bottom of the 2Br price range - maybe something like a sublet or rental trailer for $800. A 1BR for $800 is much more doable. There are lots of listings for 2BR at or under $800 in Longmont - also try Louisville, Broomfield, Erie, and Lafayette.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:40 PM

182 posts, read 668,650 times
Longmont is definitely cheaper than the Boulder, but you might luck out and find a decent two bedroom for $850 or so. If you don't have pets, I think Imperial House and North Boulder Park Apts. might be in your price range. These are small, simple, older buildings in one of Boulder's nicest neighborhoods, with the Newlands to the north, and Mapleton Hill to the south. You can walk to Ideal Market and Vics, as well as downtown (Pearl Street Mall).

People here do hire personal chefs, but like almost every other trade or profession, well qualified people proliferate! You will need to market yourself aggressively. Every few months, I see someone starting up a business that is more complicated than cooking in people's homes- usually delivery of gorgeous meals cooked offsite- and they all seem to go belly up. My grandparents had a wonderful chef with great credentials, and I would be embarrassed to tell you what they paid her- it was a not much. Nowadays, people buy a lot of prepared things at Whole Foods. There are foodies here- witness our wonderful Frasca, and I thing the metro area has more Master Sommeliers than any other metro (there was an article in the Denver Post last year), so "your people" are here. It's just that a lot of them want to do the same kind of job that you do. I would advise you to have a good savings & a backup job.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
My DD has a 2 BR in Boulder for $850. It is definitely a "student" apt. There are no doors on the closets, the only closets are in the bedrooms (no coat closet, linen closet, etc), virtually no counter space in the kitchen. They had to buy a cart for their microwave and coffee maker. For a little more, you can get a much nicer apt, I think.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 AM

1,667 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Intuition would tell me that in light of the economic downturn, things like personal chefs won't be high on the priority list for folks that used to be able to afford them. I'd definitely NOT come here without a job lined up ahead of time. You should be able to get something, somewhere, and find rent to be a bit more affordable in the L-Towns (Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette)...

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,408,487 times
Many wealthy people live all over the area but the concentration with the most wealth is in the Southern Metro Areas of Denver, Cherry Hills, Greenwood Village and Douglas County. Douglas County is one of the richest counties in this country. These would be the people whose lifestyles would not be changed by economic conditions. These would be the people would would use Personal Chefs on a daily basis.

I see no advantage for your profession in living in Longmont, so you can be close to Boulder. There are nice areas in the south metro area that are close to the monied people and you can get comfortable and affordable apartments. I would look into Englewood, Littleton or Denver South. In addition, you would be closer to the availability of supplies that only a larger city can provide.

You would also be closer to more clients and would make your transportation much easier. In addition there are many more corporate offices that often are looking for chefs to prepare luncheons, on site.

As I said Longmont would not be advantageous and would not have this type of market. Boulder, to some extend may, but not at the level of the super rich and businesses in the South Metro Area.

Livecontent
CIA Graduate

Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
I have to agree with livecontent here. The business my husband and I have is directed at people with more disposable income. Most of the people who rent from us have been from the south Denver area without a doubt.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 117,822 times
you will NOT find a 2 bedroom for under $800. You better start thinking more in the $1,000 to $1,400 range for that

Old 08-16-2008, 01:15 AM

53 posts, read 258,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintabelina View Post
Want to move to the Boulder area and thought maybe Longmont would be cheaper to live, am I right? Don't want to pay over $800 a month rent for 2 br apt at the beginning. I am an award winning chef but have only worked in my own places so I don't know about the scene there.... I was also a Personal Chef in mansions in Chicago.... anyone know if there is that type of work there?
Don't have much money but am a hard worker and quite talented, think I stand a chance?
I cook: French, Italian, American, Thai, Chinese, Greek, but specialize in Antique Classic Mexican Cuisine and have awards and critic's reviews too.... I'd appreciate a head's up....
Try Westminster, that way the commute to Denver will be closer. If you can stand the heat move to North Scottsdale, you'de find plenty of work and the apartment your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area