Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Places like Boulder, Colorado in Washington State, coastal Oregon communities, Bend or Ashland, Willamette Valley recession, outdoor town hiring best qualified for job, not locals

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM

115 posts, read 174,597 times

Advertisements

Are there any places like Boulder, CO in Washington state? Are there any coastal Oregon communities or other places in Oregon like Boulder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,533 times
I've heard people say that Bend, Oregon is like Boulder. I've also heard that Ashland (OR) has a Boulder "feel". But I've never been to either, so I'm just taking their word for it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Eugene + Corvallis + Ashland X Bend = Boulder, OR

Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM

Seattle (city) divided by Bellingham = Boulder, WA

Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I've heard people say that Bend, Oregon is like Boulder. I've also heard that Ashland (OR) has a Boulder "feel". But I've never been to either, so I'm just taking their word for it.
Bend definately has a Boulder feel to it. I just moved to Bend in July from CO, and it reminds me a lot of Boulder. I think Bellingham, WA also has a Boulder vibe to it. I've only driven through it though, but my friends who lived in WA claimed Bellingham was Boulder like.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Eugene + Corvallis + Ashland X Bend = Boulder, OR
Interesting! How is Eugene doing these days, with the recession really hitting the Willamette Valley and N.W. California?

Can someone move from out of state move to Eugene or Boulder, CO. and find a job as an outsider, or, do they predominately hire locals?

That's the problem young people from out of state face here in Flagstaff, AZ. We are young people with college degrees, yet are facing discrimination down here in the Arizona, since they preferentially hire NAU (Northern AZ University Students) and locals.

I would love to find an outdoor town that will hire the best qualified person for the job, and not hire a local person just because they were born there.

New Mexico also has the same issue. It's probably because neither Arizona or New Mexico scores that high on the "Open to Experience" personality type. Colorado and Oregon are in the top 10.

Thanks...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Can someone move from out of state move to Eugene or Boulder, CO. and find a job as an outsider, or, do they predominately hire locals?
I don't know much about Flagstaff, but in my experience/perception, there are small towns that are clannish enough to favor locals in hiring, friendships, etc.

I don't know much about Eugene, I have been there quite a few times, but don't consider myself an expert. I know native-Oregonians like to wear their dislike of Californians on their sleeve, but Californians keep going there so obviously they are getting jobs. As for folks from other states, who knows?

I know in Boulder's case, most everyone is non-local. According to the 2000 census, (sorry, most recent stats available), only 24.2% of Boulder's residents were even born in Colorado, and the population seems pretty transient. However, Boulder is kind of clannish in the way that the town kind of feels like a secret society, like they are all hiding the same secret. Also, I don't think gaining employment as an outsider would be a problem, because as much as Boulder wouldn't like to admit it, it is within Denver's sphere of influence, which overall is friendly to outsiders, heck probably 1 out of every 2 people here was one at some point. Boulder and Denver have suburbs that run together as well.

I would say Boulder would be friendlier to outsiders than Eugene, but probably not substantially friendlier. Heck, I'm an outsider to Boulder myself, and will forever remain that way, it's the kind of town (per my status above, under my name ), that is quite easy to get over the more times you go there. It has the Flatirons and the mountains as a beautiful backdrop, but IMO it is really only for a few types of people: students, bums, yuppies, hippies and liberals. As a quote-unquote "liberal" myself, even I am turned off by Boulder.

Last edited by Count David; 11-20-2008 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: added comma

Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Bellingham, WA with adjoining town of Fairhaven would qualify for a PNW Boulder, but county (Whatcom) politics is moderated by ultra-conservative Lyden. (It is not a bad idea to have politics moderated...)

Both WA and OR have enough population in a couple urban counties to sway the entire election process, so if you are a farmer or a business owner your will get 'the shaft' from apartment dwellers and 'employees'. Both states are pretty tough for those who provide jobs and economic growth, but a haven for the 'entitlement' crowd. Basically its 'California's north annex' Part of the 'left coast' syndrome. Come join the fun

Parts of Olympia, WA and some districts of Seattle (Queen Anne, Fremont, University & Medical area) have a Boulder feel. There are several small towns that would qualify, but be short on culture / university influence.

For OR; Bend is approaching Boulder-eze, as is Hood River, but both lack the strong University impact. (and also the intellectual crowd from places like 'national labs / bureau of stds, NREL) Currently Bend is struggling, but generally the locals (cowboys / farmers) are bailing out, so the 'left' will probably capture the flag. Since it is a 'new-left', the Boulder infrastructure / depth is missing, and it ends up being a bit shallow / yuppie like. The hard core (and older) liberal enclaves are Eugene, Corvallis, and Ashland.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM

113 posts, read 719,853 times
there is no place like Boulder, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjoh View Post
there is no place like Boulder, and I don't mean that in a good way.
there is no place like Flagstaff, and I don't mean that in a good way

unfortunately Flagstaff is a "twin city" mountain town of Boulder and Santa Fe

Sorry to see the employment reach double digits here in Flagstaff. The City Council for years has made it virtually impossible for new businesses to re-locate to Flagstaff. People are leaving in droves, and one of the three high schools just closed.

According to Forbes, recession proof regions include Adams County, Colorado! (next to Boulder)

I've been told that Boulder is recession-proof. Would you agree?

In Pictures: The Worst--And Best--Cities To Ride Out The Recession - Forbes.com

Top 10 Cities To Weather The Recession (Adams Co. doesn't show up in this list, but it does in the accompanying article)

1. (best city = Austin (KLBJ)
2. Oklahoma City (KOKC)
3. Honolulu
4, Portland, OR (KXL, Hartmann, Dirkx)
5. Tulsa, OK
6. Virginia BEach, VA
7. Seattle, WA (KIRO, KPTK)
8. Baltimore, MD (WBAL)
9. Boston, MA (WRKO)
10. Lancaster, PA

Worst 10

1. (worst city= Riverside
2. Cape Coral / Ft. myers Florida
3. Las Vegas (NV) (scary) (KDWN, KXNT)
4. Bakersfield (smell) (KNZR)
5. Fresno (yuck) (KMJ)
6. San Diego (cool) (KOGO)
7. Reno (wild) (KKOH)
8. Detroit (racing) (WJR)
9. Miami (hurricanes) (WINZ)
10. Tampa, FL.

"To rank the best and worst urban economies, we used housing data from real estate information provider Zillow and, where available, compared it with data from the National Association of Realtors and the S&P/Case-Shiller home price index. We looked at the most recent job growth and unemployment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. To weigh home prices and home equity to income levels, we used median income estimates from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. Finally, we gave some weight to what percentage of a city's gross domestic product growth in recent years was attached to growth in financial services, the industry at the heart of the crisis, also using GDP data. All data is for metropolitan areas." -Forbes at the above link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area