Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Colorado next month for his job. We are in need of a second vehicle at the moment and are trying to decide if we should buy it here in NC or wait and buy when we get to CO. We are wondering about registration fees and sales tax etc. when moving a car to the state. We have been given a moving allowance so that isn't a problem and we are considering driving as well. We currently have a small Integra and the thought of driving that across to Colorado with us and 2 decent sized dogs is not sounding very comfortable or enjoyable.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,419 times
Can't speak for other states other than CO. Costco.com membership is fabulous for new car. CO must have 2nd car unless you are a biker. Still I can see having a second vehicle.

Costco members receive, at least 4 years back when bought own car, $400 off dealership price, plus they have to SHOW you the two sticker prices and you pay that price established between Costco and dealership. Dealership won't tell you this, but I am as I saved tons. Call Costco membership online or read more about it when looking under member benefits. I love, love, love my Optima Kia.

Lucky you have employer allowance. Here between Denver/Boulder, CO. First time here so not sure if I will see your post again. Looking for Christmas drive listing so that's what brought me here. Best to you.

carolg

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
Colorado Vehicle Info site:Revenue-MV:My Vehicle
If you're not sure, maybe you can rent a UHaul or something similar and then buy when you get here. We moved from Louisiana a few years ago. We had one car shipped (relatively inexpensive) and drove our other one. Do what's best for your individual situation.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
This is an excellent question, and I'm not sure I have the answer for you. Be warned, Colorado will hit you up with a large bill when you get your plates either way, so get ready. Registration is based on the value and newness of the car, as well as the price you actually paid for the car, so Colorado rewards you if you have a used car and punishes you if you have a new one.

The real question is how to avoid paying all the taxes and fees twice, since you'll have to pay them to Colorado either way. You definitely don't want to be stuck paying nonrefundable taxes in NC, though most states do (I think) have a means for reimbursing a prorated amount on registrations for people in your situation.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
This is an excellent question, and I'm not sure I have the answer for you. Be warned, Colorado will hit you up with a large bill when you get your plates either way, so get ready. Registration is based on the value and newness of the car, as well as the price you actually paid for the car, so Colorado rewards you if you have a used car and punishes you if you have a new one.

The real question is how to avoid paying all the taxes and fees twice, since you'll have to pay them to Colorado either way. You definitely don't want to be stuck paying nonrefundable taxes in NC, though most states do (I think) have a means for reimbursing a prorated amount on registrations for people in your situation.
Spot on. CO nails you for registration, especially if its a newer car. They have a sliding scale with one of the parameters being the age of the vehicle. After a few years it drops dramatically.

Whatever, since you'll be in Boulder you'll end up with a Subaru.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 PM

55 posts, read 175,294 times
Taxes vary by County. If you have time to register the vehicle in your home state, obtain local plates, etc... you could save some money if your current taxes are lower.

By the way, I'm a bit of a car geek and I've noticed that cars in Colorado are not cheap. For used cars, you can save several thousand by buying a car out of state. I've done it now, twice. Once from Ohio. The other from Kentucky. Texas is another option. If you're looking for a car that's popular in Colorado but not so popular elsewhere, like Subaru's, the price is quite a bit higher here.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM

104 posts, read 376,565 times
I noticed Boulder auto dealers are able to get better prices for their cars. I believe Denver dealers are as competitive as anywhere.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
As you have a moving allowance, use it! I second the suggestion to ship your car. Fly yourself and the dogs. Buying the second car here might be a good idea. See if you need it first. Boulder does have good public transportation, so you might be able to get by with one car.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 PM

9 posts, read 49,010 times
so the above is correct, you will wind up with a subaru!

And I found prices in Denver much more reasonable than Boulder. But Subaru prices were much more reasonable here than in ALabama where there are very few Subarus.

As for taxes. Between state, RTD, city and county of Boulder tax, it came to about 10% sales tax. After that, the tag and registrations fees seemed negligible.

My husband simply needed to transfer his registration from AL to CO. 25 emissions, 10 VIN verify, 35 registration. That was it for him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: