Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM

13 posts, read 31,691 times

Advertisements

It's a gigantic apartment complex in Superior. It's so big that it kind of needs a better word than "complex" as it seems more like a neighborhood of it's own. Anyway, I pass it almost every day, but I know that some of the models have attached garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
As Drew mentioned, Horizons at Rock Creek in Superior is a H-U-G-E apartment community that includes many apartments with attached garages. It's situated immediately west of Flatiron Crossing, so plan on dealing with a lot of mall traffic on Friday nights and weekends during the summer and holidays otherwise.

My partner and I lived at the Horizons from 2001-2005 and had an attached one-car garage, as well as our own driveway which was suitable for another car (maybe 2 if they were small). There are (were) many amenities on-site including basketball, racquetball, tanning, gym, multiple pools, paddle boats, "beach" volleyball, tennis, movie night at the community center, etc. Of course, for all of these amenities, as well as very convenient access to Highway 36, tons of shopping and restaurants and some great views of the mountains (which we had), you will pay the price. We had a 2-bed/2-bath apartment with roughly 1,200 square feet and we were paying $1,600/mo when we moved out in July of 2005. Our immediate neighbor did not have the same view and paid $200 less per month. Apartments range from studio with no garage to 3-bed/3-bath with attached 2-car garage, but expect to pay over $2,000/month for an apartment of that size.

It's a nice area, but when we left there were a lot of well-to-do college kids living in the complex on Mom & Dad's dime. That wasn't necessarily the case when we moved in a few years prior. That also equated to lots of late-night noise and music. It became a little tiresome. I don't know what it's like these days, but it seems to be doing okay (drove by there a few weeks ago). It might be worth your while to check out some online apartment sites and give this one a try if you can afford it. If affordability isn't a concern, for a few hundred bucks more a month, you could probably find a nicely sized single family home for rent somewhere nearby and have a lot more space for you and your family.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,237 times
I'll add we lived at Horizons at Rock Creek, and it is very congested. We liked our apt, but in hindsight it was overpriced. We did see some of the college kids around, but they were never an issue for us. That said, you pay for a lot of things that you don't use often, and they do nickle and dime you for things like copier paper for the business office. On the other hand, it was close to everything, and they were plenty of trails and a bike park easily within reach.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
Default Kiss your security deposit goodbye and incompetence

I rented a 3 br 3 ba apartment for three months in 2013. I would say that the grounds are nice, the pool was fairly well kept as well as the gym. The tennis courts looked tired, but that's not a big deal.

The main issue I had was with the incompetent staff in the resident services office. They were terrible at communicating when things were due and they also would bill me incorrectly for my rent. My 2nd month there, they over billed me for my rent. After I paid the amount on my lease, I came home to an eviction notice. I walked to their office to correct this, which they eventually did. The next month, a similar thing happened because they had added a late fee to my account so my payment was short a few hundred dollars. Again, I had to walk down there and spend time to correct this error. Each instance took multiple phone calls and emails to correct.

After moving out, they not only kept my security deposit, but sent me a bill for replacing the carpet. I asked for information on this and they sent me photos of rug stains along with a move-in document they had me sign a week and a half before I even saw the apartment (I moved from out of state) stating that the apartment was in perfect condition. Since I never went to them to complain about the apartments condition after moving in, they simply replaced what they wanted after I moved out and billed me for the full amount threatening they would send it to collection if I didn't pay it.

If this is their policy, they should show you your new apartment on move in day, walk through it with you and have you sign an agreement stating the condition of the apartment so that everyone is on the same page. I have not way of proving the condition of the apartment when I moved it now so it's their word against mine. I'm just glad they are trying to replace the kitchen cabinets that were falling apart on my dime!

I'd say "buyer beware" if you're moving in. Don't expect them to be on your side and check everything you sign thoroughly!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 AM

599 posts, read 953,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmelby View Post
I rented a 3 br 3 ba apartment for three months in 2013. I would say that the grounds are nice, the pool was fairly well kept as well as the gym. The tennis courts looked tired, but that's not a big deal.

The main issue I had was with the incompetent staff in the resident services office. They were terrible at communicating when things were due and they also would bill me incorrectly for my rent. My 2nd month there, they over billed me for my rent. After I paid the amount on my lease, I came home to an eviction notice. I walked to their office to correct this, which they eventually did. The next month, a similar thing happened because they had added a late fee to my account so my payment was short a few hundred dollars. Again, I had to walk down there and spend time to correct this error. Each instance took multiple phone calls and emails to correct.

After moving out, they not only kept my security deposit, but sent me a bill for replacing the carpet. I asked for information on this and they sent me photos of rug stains along with a move-in document they had me sign a week and a half before I even saw the apartment (I moved from out of state) stating that the apartment was in perfect condition. Since I never went to them to complain about the apartments condition after moving in, they simply replaced what they wanted after I moved out and billed me for the full amount threatening they would send it to collection if I didn't pay it.

If this is their policy, they should show you your new apartment on move in day, walk through it with you and have you sign an agreement stating the condition of the apartment so that everyone is on the same page. I have not way of proving the condition of the apartment when I moved it now so it's their word against mine. I'm just glad they are trying to replace the kitchen cabinets that were falling apart on my dime!

I'd say "buyer beware" if you're moving in. Don't expect them to be on your side and check everything you sign thoroughly!
I'm sorry they screwed you, but as general advice, never rent ANYTHING if the people from whom you are renting want you to sign a conditions report before you even see what you are renting. This goes for apartments, cars, tools, or anything else you might rent.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
DO NOT LET THE AMENITIES FOOL YOU! I would not live here unless you absolutely have to. I would give them 0 stars if I could. I lived here for 4 years here are the highlights:

1. Bugs. Spiders. Mice. And more Spiders. Even in the second floor apartments

2. Black mold behind my daughters toy box when we moved from one apartment to another.

3. Refused to replace my dryer even after they repaired it 7 or 8 times. It runs and runs and runs because the timer is broke until it burns out the coil. They will not address the timer, they just keep replacing the coil.

4. Raise the rent up to 4% annually, almost daring you to leave because they've got another person coming in right behind you.

5. The worst thing about this place is the management. The leasing staff and the group at residential services could care less. They recite the same tired line of "they have to treat everyone the same" anytime you ask them for the slightest bit of help or consideration. They are inflexible, inconsiderate and lack any sort of empathy.

The new twist, right as I'm ready to move out, I find out they changed their notice to vacate rules from 30 to 60 days. So now they are charging me for 30 days additional rent at a the month to month rate of $2400! My mortgage payment will be less than that.

They are the only game in town so they don't seem to care about making people happy or working with them. When you live here you're a number and sadly, there are enough people behind you where they will charge you as much as they can when you leave and roll the next person in behind you without missing a beat.

Seriously though, don't move here unless you have no other choice. Check craigslist, there are occasionally homes for rent in the area, or if you can pull it off, go to the complexes on the other side of Coalton or North of 36. These guys are bad news.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Why did you continue to live there for 4 years?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,891 times
I shall answer for him: because there don't seem to be too many alternatives in the area. Except for the "AMLI at Flatirons" and a private condo community (Saddle Brooke) - with the latter one not renting officially but it depends on the owner.

I vouch for what he was saying about The Horizons. In my case, I made sure to go for a 2nd floor and the spiders and insect risk is considerably mitigated. But the main issue is the profound reluctance of their management towards honoring any maintenance request.

In my case, what annoys me the most are these aspects:
1. I was required to pay an additional deposit of $1300 (additional to the standard one!) because I didn't have any credit history about 7 months ago when I came here for the 1st time, from Canada. NOW, they will NOT refund my deposit back after a year. They said it will be returned ONLY after I leave. So, let's say, if I stay with them 5 years, I'll see my money back only after 5 years!?? That's crazy. Another option would be to leave the current apt and move into another one on the same property.

2. They use this AUM (American Utility Measurement) for water metering/billing - which has no respect for the customer. I have noticed that their electronic/remote reading devices are not in sync with what the actual mechanical (dial-based) meter is showing. I am basically billed for about half of month of additional usage. I have reported this to both AUM and The Horizons, and NOBODY cares. Was promised that someone will get back to me (building's super-manager) and 3 weeks have passed without calling me back.

3. Also, the water price rates seem to vary month to month. The Horizons doesn't tell this to its tenants - but it looks like all the water used for external irrigation is ON US. They divide all that usage per total number of tenants and then they artificially inflate the water price per ten of gallon, so that we couldn't see that they add that water to our bill.

I hate this company and I can hardly wait to get my refund back and leave on November.

There is a new property developed in the area - The RockVue - but their prices are insane ($1600 for a double bedroom, 1000 square feet, which is small for such price).

Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
It's a massive apartment complex what do you expect the Ritz? I don't think anyone should consider any massive complex as a long term living solution. There is a reason why the turn over at the front desk is so high.

I was advised against moving there when I took a job in Boulder. A few employees told me about how crappy it was and that there are families living there with like 10 kids running around stomping on the floors all night. I drove through it and passed.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,237 times
Strange. We live here and love it. Very affordable rent, great amenities, even met other families here - it's certainly not a long term solution, but I haven't had any major issues getting repairs done, no bugs, the rent is affordable and the staff has always been nice to us. I haven't seen any 10 kid families, we use the pools a lot. All the shopping is very close by, too. Since I'm still job hunting at the moment, I spend a great deal of time in the complex. It's not perfect by any means, but it's an apartment complex with great things to offer in a time of transition - and I've met a lot of people who have just moved here, so I think that's a common experience. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area