Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,248 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This forums has been very helpful so far. Thanks to everyone who contributes!

I've got a couple of questions I was hoping you all could help me answer. I'm currently living around the Washington, D.C. area, working as consultant for federal government in network security. I've visited Boulder a couple times in the past 6 months and I'd really like to move there sometime in the Spring.

Are there many IT companies in Boulder / Denver that are hiring despite the current economy? Do you have to move out to Boulder before even being considered for a job? And finally, if I can't seem to get a job in my field, are there many other options that can keep me afloat until I'm able to secure an IT position?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,943,640 times
Really, the only way you are going to know is to dip your foot in, search some of the sites for openings and see if you get any bites. I can only give you my perspective, which may be some what limited:

First off, we've got some friends who have just been laid off from IT jobs in the Boulder area - who have been here a long time and have lots of experience. The market is tight, lots of competition for jobs, and the hiring cycle is very slow. My feeling is that jobs tend to go to "who you know".

My husband started looking again last January after leaving an IT job he was at for 14 years. It took him 4 months. The lack of jobs wasn't an issue - the wheels move very slowly (and this was before everything was tanking). Some jobs he went in 4 times interviewing with different groups each time. The majority of these job interviews were from connections he already had. And the majority were in south Denver at the tech center - not up here.

Now he was looking for a very specific job - Sales Engineer. The company that hired him in April isn't even based out of Colorado - but New York City. It's just him and his sales guy here in the area - they both work out of their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area