Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I was the Executive Chef at the Hilton Harvest House in Boulder in the 1980s. There was an article in one of the big magazine, Either Newsweek or Time--I can't remember. It highlighted Boulder Harvest House, where the Hip Go, Cocaine flows and there are beautiful woman in damskin tops at the garden bar behind the hotel on the weekends. Well, the following weekend the Boulder Airport was overwhelmed with private jets; there were traffic jams; the hotel was booked solid and there were so many wealthy people who came from all the country. It was a nightmare with extreme demand for food and drinks. We had to get extra police protection. It was terrible but profitable.
heehee
That article was not hyperbole.
In 1977-78, I (with my mauve Danskin top) lived in Boulder.
The Harvest House, along with the Mezzanine at the Boulderado, was a very popular spot on the weekends. The scenesters converged, while the 'snow' flew.
We might have crossed paths on occasion, Livecontent.
Quote:
It can help a city and it can harm an area with people moving quickly and overwhelming city services.

So, be aware that good publicity or bad publicity, either true or not, can affect a city's prosperity. Fort Collins has been on the this list, many times on the top; it certainly changed that city.
Yes.
The Fort, while still a good place to live, is barely recognizable these days.
I wonder how former Gov. Lamm feels about all this.
Denver has the dubious distinction of being the only city in the modern Olympic era to have been awarded the Games (for 1976) and then rejected them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Livecontent: are you a writer? if not you should be.
A writer? No. If I can spell, which I can't. If I can use proper grammar, which I can't. If I can apply proper style, which I can't. If I can make a living, which I can't.

Livecontent

Old 07-16-2010, 05:25 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
If you can express yourself well (as you obviously can) you just get someone to proof or copyedit your work. Writing isn't about spelling, it's about expression.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
The growth that he wanted to avoid came even though the Olympics didn't.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Having lived through the whole 1972 campaign for and against the 1976 Winter Olympics coming to Colorado--and I vigorously opposed the Olympics coming here--there is, as usual, a lot of misconceptions about the defeat. The common myth was that Governor-to-be Lamm and the liberal environmentalist wing of the Democratic Party engineered the defeat of the Olympics. To be sure, those groups opposed them on environmental grounds that I think what has followed with uncontrolled development in Colorado proved to be entirely correct, but the reason the Olympics were sent packing was a huge contingent of staunchly conservative and moderate Coloradans recognized them for what they were/are: a huge taxpayer-funded boondoggle that serve mainly to enrich private developers and favored corporate interests. Another case, where heinous economic and environmental costs would be socialized on the taxpayers, while the fat-cat developers reaped all of the private benefits. That's why people like my parents, both very conservative Republicans, actively campaigned against the 1976 Olympics coming to Colorado, as did I. My vote against that pork-barrel is one of the proudest votes that I ever made.

The fact that the obnoxious development my parents and I feared occurred anyway just proves that the slimeball developers figured out other ways to socialize the costs of their development onto the taxpayers, while privatizing their profits. That doesn't prove that the Olympic opponents were wrong; it proves they were right.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I wonder how former Gov. Lamm feels about all this.
A true visionary. He was the original politician who wanted to pull the plug on grandma, yes?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
A true visionary. He was the original politician who wanted to pull the plug on grandma, yes?
Yup. "We all have a duty to die".

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...952398,00.html

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-17-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Having lived through the whole 1972 campaign for and against the 1976 Winter Olympics coming to Colorado--and I vigorously opposed the Olympics coming here--there is, as usual, a lot of misconceptions about the defeat. The common myth was that Governor-to-be Lamm and the liberal environmentalist wing of the Democratic Party engineered the defeat of the Olympics. To be sure, those groups opposed them on environmental grounds that I think what has followed with uncontrolled development in Colorado proved to be entirely correct, but the reason the Olympics were sent packing was a huge contingent of staunchly conservative and moderate Coloradans recognized them for what they were/are: a huge taxpayer-funded boondoggle that serve mainly to enrich private developers and favored corporate interests. Another case, where heinous economic and environmental costs would be socialized on the taxpayers, while the fat-cat developers reaped all of the private benefits. That's why people like my parents, both very conservative Republicans, actively campaigned against the 1976 Olympics coming to Colorado, as did I. My vote against that pork-barrel is one of the proudest votes that I ever made..
One needs to remember that the Olympics before then and even the '76 games in Montreal were huge money losers and tremendous drains on the local economies. It wasn't until 1984 that Peter Uebberoth figured out a way to make it a viable endeavor. The modern Olympics really started with the '84 games in Los Angeles.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Once I saw a town in Minnesota was #1, I quit reading it.
Ha, I had the same reaction to one that recommended Casper, Wyoming.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It is that time again, for the List of the Best Places to Live from Money Magazine:
Best Places to Live 2010 - from Money Magazine

Colorado has these cities on the list of 100 cities:

No 6. --Fort Collins
No. 12--Highlands Ranch
No. 18--Broomfield
No. 33--Loveland
No. 58--Arvada

Cities that are considered from 50,000 to 235,000, per this methodology:
Best places to live 2010 - FAQ and Sources - from MONEY Magazine

Shhh...I wanted to keep the pleasures of Arvada--Quiet.

HighLands Ranch--Interesting!

Broomfield--a hidden gem.

I just noticed---Boulder is not on the list. Ha, Ha, Ha...

Livecontent
I had a long term visit recently in the SE colorado area. I noticed that my health was MUCH better!!!! I also visited in New Mexico and noticed my Health was Much better there as well. ( All places over 6000 feet elev).
I have some criteria that MUST be satisfied, then there is the "preferred list" .
1. Must have good medical support
2. Nothing under 4000 ft. Elev.
3. Must be near (5-10 miles) to health food store(s)
4. and medical facilities
Preferred list:
1. Population about 20K+,- nothing under 10K
2. in the mountains, foothills, nothing flat.
3. "Close" to family' sort of.

Please assist,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area