Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 12,080 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move our family of four to Colorado from Florida (we were born and raised in the Northeast and cant tolerate the climate down here anymore...miss the snow and Fall terribly). Recently I had family move to Boulder and we are not sure if that is the right area for us. We are hoping for feedback on the surrounding area's. What we want is a mountain town that gets a good amount of snow and is in close proximity to the major ski areas. Low crime rate of course. Above average school districts and opportunities in the Healthcare fields (either a Hospital nearby or doctors offices). I have heard of the Foothills area but am not sure exactly which towns make up this region (or if this region is what I am looking for). Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any thoughts on Evergreen, Nederland, Estes Park, Loveland, Idaho Springs, Granby....

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-14-2009 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
The foothills areas near Boulder consist of Boulder Heights, Boulder Canyon, Pinebrook Hills, Gold Hill, Sugarloaf, Sunshine Canyon, Jamestown, Nederland.
One thing I can tell you is that Loveland and Estes Park are far away from any of the major ski areas. Many people confuse the city of Loveland with the Loveland ski area. Not the same thing.

Nederland has its own small ski area, Eldora: Eldora Mountain Resort
Loveland ski area is around an hour and 15 minutes from Nederland, Winter Park is around an hour and a half drive. The Summit County ski areas (Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mtn) are another 15-20 minutes more.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-14-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 12,080 times
Gotcha.. that rules the Ft. Collins area out for me....

Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
See my answer on the Denver forum.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
The foothills areas near Boulder consist of Boulder Heights, Boulder Canyon, Pinebrook Hills, Gold Hill, Sugarloaf, Sunshine Canyon, Jamestown, Nederland.

Nederland has its own small ski area, Eldora: Eldora Mountain Resort
Loveland ski area is around an hour and 15 minutes from Nederland, Winter Park is around an hour and a half drive. The Summit County ski areas (Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mtn) are another 15-20 minutes more.
Lyons is also a foothills town and is at the bottom of the roads leading up to Estes Park but not close to a ski resort other than Eldora - about 1 hour's drive.

Idaho Springs, Evergreen and Granby are all on the South/West side of Denver. Granby is halfway to Kremmling which puts it on the other side of the Continental Divide. Evergreen is the closest to Denver and whilst I'm not familiar with the town, I hear good things about it. Idaho Springs is just off I-70 which puts it on the way to ski towns like Winter Park, Vail, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, etc.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 18,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoCO View Post
My wife and I are looking to move our family of four to Colorado from Florida (we were born and raised in the Northeast and cant tolerate the climate down here anymore...miss the snow and Fall terribly). Recently I had family move to Boulder and we are not sure if that is the right area for us. We are hoping for feedback on the surrounding area's. What we want is a mountain town that gets a good amount of snow and is in close proximity to the major ski areas. Low crime rate of course. Above average school districts and opportunities in the Healthcare fields (either a Hospital nearby or doctors offices). I have heard of the Foothills area but am not sure exactly which towns make up this region (or if this region is what I am looking for). Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any thoughts on Evergreen, Nederland, Estes Park, Loveland, Idaho Springs, Granby....
My wife and I are also east coasters looking to relocate to the front range area. Our son has recently moved out there and our daughter and husband are considering a move as well.

I have made three trips out there to "shop" neighborhoods.

We love Boulder: but real estate is nearly the same as back here in Maryland -- we are looking to sell and keep some cash. But nearby towns of Superior and Louisville should be on anyone's list to look at. Rocky Mountain national park is only 30 minutes away -- skiing about the same -- Boulder is a hopping down with lots and lots to do: great schools (I'm a high school teacher and am very impressed with Boulder Valley schools)
If you are conservative politically, Boulder might be a little tough to take. Very liberal -- even hippie. But no crime, clean air, four seasons, snow in winter -- thunderstorms in summer -- fantastic weather!!!

The Golden area offers a great deal as well. Close to Denver - 30 minutes, max -- four seasons of course -- quality kayaking and fly fishing - minutes away -- and closer to the Rockies being due west of Denver.

Nice neighborhoods similar what you find back east, and plenty of secluded mountain homes for those who want solitary living.

Nice people, more of real town than Boulder (Boulder being more of a artsy/university town) and cheaper real estate.

Important: closer to Denver for work.

I recently spent a week in the Golden/Denver area.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
I agree Louisville is a great option..You might consider Genesee Park,Conifer, and Evergreen as well..all have good schools, nice views,abundant outdoor recreation within reach ,and are relatively close to Denver. All areas will be more affordable than living in Boulder proper.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYGUY55 View Post
Boulder...clean air....
I don't know where you've lived in the past, but Boulder does not even come close to "clean air".

The Boulder Valley is blessed in that the prevailing winds blow west out of the mountains, bringing in fresh clean mountain air and blowing all the noxious air pollution (of which there is a heck of a lot) further east.

Basically, Boulder has an air pollution problem, but it is tolerable and livable for most people.

It's not as bad as Los Angeles, but it's certainly not "clean air" either.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 AM

33 posts, read 103,202 times
Nederland is cool-but a Berkeley in the mountains. I wouldn't go there for the school district. Lots of drugs.
Louisville is best by many magazines. But best school district in area is Niwot. Niwot is expensive,but many parts of south Longmont are in that school district and can be affordable. If you could say how much you want to spend on a house, I can probably tell you best areas to look and what areas to forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area