Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 36,220 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we are moving to Boulder in mid August, and I am figuring out which land line provider to choose.

I heard that Vonage was miserable (echoes and hang-ups) in the Boulder area, Qwest and SunRocket, etc. for instance, seem to do better jobs.

Many of my calls will be going to Europe, and I do not fancy echoes and hang-ups all to often.

On another issue, I heard discussions about the necessity to have a `real` land line for 911-calls and re-911.
Hence, I would possibly be interested in a NON-VoIP provider.

VoIP or not, I would be glad about your experiences with your landline provider.

Thank you very much!
Olga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 AM

Default Vonage, Qwest or SunRocket... - recommendations?

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Olga

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,071 times
We actually have Comcast and we don't seem to have any problems at all. At my office I have Qwest, they both seem comparable.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
We have Comcast as well - just switched from Qwest. The only reason for the switch was they could provide a higher speed internet than Qwest, and they gave us a good deal to switch our phone line as well.

We had Vonage a few years ago - and I agree not to go that route. IT was horrible.

If you will be doing a lot of international calls, then between Comcast or Qwest I would look into who has good packages for that.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I had vonage for 5 years and now I am switching to Qwest. Vonage was great for years but recently the quality has deteriorated. I have comcast as high speed internet and it is good. I did not want at this time to have Comcast phone service but my relatives are happy with it. It is VOIP and I know they market it as something different over their own network, but it is still VOIP. Comcast system is expensive after the initial discounts. They do have a lower tier service at $25.99 but it is not marketed as heavily.

I went with Qwest phone package because of some additional cost savings for me. In addition, I wanted the flexibility to change high speed internet from Comcast to Qwest for better pricing; they give a discount with phone/internet package.

I think Comcast will significantly increase their costs once DOCSIS 3.0 is fully implemented in Denver. I do not have Cable TV, as I do not watch TV, and Comcast charges me more on all services--I am getting tired of that nonsense.

Livecontent

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Thank you, everyone.
The info was very helpful. I indeed am looking for a package phone/internet, no TV.
I have the impression that it is hard to get "good deals" or "packages" for that without the TV addition - or at least, they are not advertised.
I definitely want to avoid short-term initial discounts as advertised with Comcast, and am looking for a long-term, reasonably priced package, or two different deals for phone and internet, with the possibility to switch more/less anytime if unsatisfied.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and recommendations.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
One more thing - we did get the initial deal with Comcast for just the internet/phone. And the price she told us it would go up to after that was the same as we were paying for Qwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: