Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,899 times

Advertisements

Here's why:
My best friend and I recently moved to New York City after finishing up Graduate School..(she from Connecticut - me from Pennsylvania). We both also recently came out of 2 year relationships. Here is what we are thinking. New York City, albeit an amazing, crazy, exciting city, is not the best city to be in after a broken heart. Even though being surronded by people 24 hours a day, one cannot help but feel even more alone in such a busy city. My best friend and I want to move...want to move to a place where life isn't just passing you by but to a place where you can, "stop and smell the roses." We are both very active and athletic young ladies and the City does not offer many options other than Central Park. Colorado is a place we are both very fond of and feel we may fit in a bit better than we do here in New York City. I apologize for the generalizations but it seems as if life in Colorado is just much more relaxed, down-to-earth and perhaps a bit more enjoyed? Correct me if I am wrong. Comments, opinions, rants, insults - all welcome!

What we want from you:
ADVICE, ADVICE, ADVICE
Where would you suggest is a good place to move? (mid 20's keep in mind)
How is the public tranportation?
Do we both need cars or would 1 suffice?
How hard is it to find a job these days in Colorado?
Is it all it's cracked up to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
If have decided on Boulder--you will find out your answers. Public transportation is excellent in the core area of Boulder--you can easily get by without a car. Move there and see if it is "cracked up to be". Be prepared that living in the heart of that city can be expensive and good jobs are are scarce.

We have heard these wants numerous times. So, when you work Boulder out of your system, and you learn the ins and outs of the area, you then can determine others areas that may better suite you. But at this stage, you have Boulder "blowing in your ear" and you will not satisfied until you embrace it.

Livecontent

Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Exactly, give Boulder a shot. Why? Because you're young and have no silly encumbrances. Rent a place. Suggest you see our long thread on Boulder Landlords and the nuances of renting in a largely college town.

Don't overlook Denver if Boulder doesn't work for you. So much there for young folks, and good transit in Denver and between Denver and Boulder. In the Denver index is a thread about 'car free living' under the Transit category.

Either way, you'll have lots to do here. Best of luck, keep us informed, ask anything you wish.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
It's all well and good and life is an adventure, but if I were you I would be focused exclusively on making the graduate degree turn into a lucrative job/career ASAP and let that take you to whatever town or place it may (probably not Boulder, btw)...

I suggest you re-read this sentence ten times a day and really let it sink in.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,899 times
I appreciate the feedback! - Very insightful and helpful to say the least.
LIVECONTENT: Your john hancock alone pretty much sums up the feeling my best friend and I are trying to chase. It seems to us that we are so busy creating lives in New York City that we aren't exactly "living" much. Perhaps my words do my thoughts no justice and perhaps to live contently you simply just have to make a conscious decision to do just that. Just live, No matter where you are geographically..however, I guess that is something we will learn in time and with more life experiences under our belts.

MIKE FROM BACK EAST: Thanks for the advice on Denver. I initially researched apartments/jobs in Denver but my friend expressed her interest in Boulder, and I don't really have a preference. And the overall sense of good wishes are really appreciated - thank you!

POhdNcrzy: Your feedback is really appreciated as well and pretty much the response I was expecting to hear from all those that followed. I would have to agree with you that focusing on my job/career is an important aspect to take into consideration, perhaps the most important to some. However, my reasoning behind moving to NYC was SOLELY based on my career and well after much time here I realized that my job/lucrative career is not the most important part of my life. Perhaps because I am young and without "silly encumbrances," as MIKEfte stated, I have that luxury right now.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM

22 posts, read 41,335 times
Default Just do it

I too moved here from New York. One thing I can say is Colorado is everything I hoped it would it is. Much different than New York. People smile, say hello, help you when you don't even ask. The weather is better, the taxes are lower, and there's still tons of fun things to do. I live half way between Boulder and Denver and it's perfect 20 min to downtown Denver, 15 to Boulder.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
It's all well and good and life is an adventure, but if I were you I would be focused exclusively on making the graduate degree turn into a lucrative job/career ASAP and let that take you to whatever town or place it may (probably not Boulder, btw)...

I suggest you re-read this sentence ten times a day and really let it sink in.
Given your circumstances, I totally disagree. Move around, be free and 'irresponsible' now while you can and a career will come in time. When you're 50 and you've been tied to a job for decades, you certainly won't look back and say, gee, I really wish I had gotten started five years earlier.

Now if you had kids or if you were already in your mid thirties or older, I'd say it's time to get realistic and get a life and a job already, but that does not appear to be the case, so why not pack the hatchback and head across the country for a bit. I'm sure you'll meet plenty of others in Boulder who've done the same.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
...When you're 50 and you've been tied to a job for decades, you certainly won't look back and say, gee, I really wish I had gotten started five years earlier...
I agree with what you say in your post however this sentence is somewhat true. It especially applies if you want to retire and you do not have the years to get your "pension". You hate your job; your hate your boss; you want to move to that retirement dream location before it is too late...and then you think "I really wish I had gotten started five years earlier".

So there is lot to say into getting your nose to the grindstone, so you could retire early. I am not one of those who followed that advice as I roamed in my 20s, and just happened to be forced to retire in my 40s with a disability.
But again, you can get sick and die on the job and never reach retirement.

Livecontent

Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I agree with what you say in your post however this sentence is somewhat true. It especially applies if you want to retire and you do not have the years to get your "pension". You hate your job; your hate your boss; you want to move to that retirement dream location before it is too late...and then you think "I really wish I had gotten started five years earlier".

So there is lot to say into getting your nose to the grindstone, so you could retire early. I am not one of those who followed that advice as I roamed in my 20s, and just happened to be forced to retire in my 40s with a disability.
But again, you can get sick and die on the job and never reach retirement.

Livecontent
Point taken, but i did not start any 401k savings until my late 20's and didn't really get serious about it until a few years after that. I've saved plenty since then, and I would not trade in the experiences I had earlier in life for another zero in my account, especially after the market hit it just took.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
That's why I said "It's all well and good and life is an adventure", folks!

Teagan, I know a fair bit about Boulder having lived there 15+ years. What is your career field or jobs you've had lately (or are interested in breaking into)? If you tell us, I'll give you my thoughts on how Boulder might match up with those aspirations.

Btw, there are already plenty of New Yawkuhz and Joisey-ites in Boulder, so you'd fit right in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: