Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM

75 posts, read 320,617 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I grew up in Boulder, but moved away about 14 years ago. I've been back to visit 5 or 6 times since (still have family there), and the area has changed a LOT over the years. The last time I was there (Christmas '04) I didn't even recognize the Louisville exit off of 36.

When I moved away traffic was getting heavier than it had ever been in the past, but it sounds like it's really bad now. Is that right?

We're moving back in a few months, and I'm wondering how bummed I'll be to see the place so over crowded.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Well, it's certainly worse than it was 14 years ago. More people, more cars. The traffic on 36 during rush hours is startling (at least it is to me). When I worked in downtown Denver many years ago the traffic flow was in that direction in the morning, back to Boulder in the evening. Now it is the reverse.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:20 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Well, it's certainly worse than it was 14 years ago. More people, more cars. The traffic on 36 during rush hours is startling (at least it is to me). When I worked in downtown Denver many years ago the traffic flow was in that direction in the morning, back to Boulder in the evening. Now it is the reverse.
This is so true. The traffic is almost always stop and go from around Sheridan all the way into Boulder in the morning and it's just as heavy coming out of Boulder in the evening. On the contrary, the drive into Denver in the morning is only really slow from about Federal to I-25, unless the weather is poor, and usually flows quite well in the opposite direction during the evening commute.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 AM

36 posts, read 117,410 times
I think it all boils down to perspective; as in where you are moving from to get here. We find the traffic here to be a breeze - BUT we relocated from SoCal...

FWIW, when I go back to my original home in the midwest, I don't recognize a lot either. I think everyone that has left and goes back to their hometown experiences the same. There are just a lot more people, and a lot more ground to travel from work to home.

Good luck on your move back.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyP View Post
Hi all,

I grew up in Boulder, but moved away about 14 years ago. I've been back to visit 5 or 6 times since (still have family there), and the area has changed a LOT over the years. The last time I was there (Christmas '04) I didn't even recognize the Louisville exit off of 36.

When I moved away traffic was getting heavier than it had ever been in the past, but it sounds like it's really bad now. Is that right?

We're moving back in a few months, and I'm wondering how bummed I'll be to see the place so over crowded.

Thanks!
As someone who grew up in Boulder, at least you won't be among those who are disillusioned when they visit because they are expecting that Boulder is a quaint, charming, mountain "town."

If you've observed the changes happening, as you say in your post, then you're already aware.

Is it really bad now? There hasn't been a sudden change that makes it really bad now; there's more traffic and congestion than there was 14 years ago, but it's not as if Boulder was bucolic then either.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 AM

49 posts, read 156,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukru View Post
I think it all boils down to perspective; as in where you are moving from to get here. We find the traffic here to be a breeze - BUT we relocated from SoCal...

FWIW, when I go back to my original home in the midwest, I don't recognize a lot either. I think everyone that has left and goes back to their hometown experiences the same. There are just a lot more people, and a lot more ground to travel from work to home.

Good luck on your move back.
I agree. We moved here from New York and the traffic here is nothing compared to Long Island rush hour where a 35 mile commute used to take me two hours. I think it depends on what you're used to.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:05 AM

36 posts, read 122,872 times
We're thinking of moving to Broomfield, right off 36. My husband works at CU Boulder and leaves for work at 7-7:30 AM. How heavy is the traffic then? Someone told me it would take half an hour to get to CU but that sounds like a lot to me for that early.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 AM

377 posts, read 1,054,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickiWoo View Post
I agree. We moved here from New York and the traffic here is nothing compared to Long Island rush hour where a 35 mile commute used to take me two hours. I think it depends on what you're used to.
I agree too! We moved here from Boston, have worked in Manhattan, and my husband is from LA. Whenever people complain about traffic, I think, "Please, you don't know traffic."

Of course, I can't help but being irritable when it takes me 25 minutes to get from South Boulder to downtown after work. But it isn't *that* bad. It is doable.

Welcome back to the area!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM

75 posts, read 320,617 times
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Thinking about it now, I also came out for a visit in Oct '06, so it's been about 3 years since my last trip.

Boulder wasn't all countryside when I left, but there was just about nothing at the Louisville exit off of 36. In fact, if I recall correctly, the summer I moved away was right around the time they built that Apple Bee's on McCaslin (is that still there?). There was a also a 7-11, with a gas station, a strip mall, and an A&W fast food place. That was about it.

The last time I was there I was simply amazed by all the shops and restaurants etc. Even though I'd seen the growth on previous trips I remember it in my mind as described above, so it just doesn't register. I guess that's the reason I didn't recognize the exit.

I think everyone would like their home town to stay just as they knew it, and never change, but life goes on. I have wanted to move back since the day I left. We considered giving life a try in one of the beautiful mountain states on the eastern side of the US (to try to stay closer to some of our other family), but in the end we decided to just move back home.
I can't wait!

Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Garbus View Post
We're thinking of moving to Broomfield, right off 36. My husband works at CU Boulder and leaves for work at 7-7:30 AM. How heavy is the traffic then? Someone told me it would take half an hour to get to CU but that sounds like a lot to me for that early.
That sounds about right. For one thing, you're looking at about a 15 mile trip, depending where in Broomfield to where at CU. You'd be smart to allow 30 min, at least at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area