Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 30,887 times

Advertisements

Fitting in isn't what I'm after, I don't own pets, I don't care for Obama's centrism, and I don't advertise my politics, though I have nothing against bicycles (cheap or expensive).

As for the "Boulder experience," I see it has scarred. I'm sure I'll adjust fairly well, certainly much better than if had to move to the fundie hell that is Colorado Springs. Who knows, I'd prolly get lynched there for being gay.

But you have a nice day now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbadboy View Post
I'm sure I'll adjust fairly well, certainly much better than if had to move to the fundie hell that is Colorado Springs. Who knows, I'd prolly get lynched there for being gay.
I'm no fan of the Springs, but even I couldn't be that closed-minded about the place.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 30,887 times
I'm sure if you were gay, and subject to the kind of hate-speech that regularly comes out of churches in Colorado Springs, you might understand my sentiments.

Anyhow, I didn't post here to have people editorialize, make snide remarks about how I am "one of dhose gay guys" (see livecontent's post), or make snarky comments about what I need to do to fit in in Boulder (worship Obama/Tibet, etc).

But thanks anyway.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
I'm sure if you were gay, and subject to the kind of hate-speech that regularly comes out of churches in Colorado Springs, you might understand my sentiments.

Anyhow, I didn't post here to have people editorialize, make snide remarks about how I am "one of dhose gay guys" (see livecontent's post), or make snarky comments about what I need to do to fit in in Boulder (worship Obama/Tibet, etc).

But thanks anyway.
Just because I'm not gay, it doesn't mean that I agree with the kind of hate-speech you speak of. You'd probably have to watch TBN (or something similar) to hear it anyway. Methinks it's not as bad as you imagine, but I digress.

You don't need to do anything to fit in Boulder, there should be no desire to fit in, in any way, anywhere. Yet, the stereotypes about Boulderites are very easy to believe....

Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:

But thanks anyway.
I am very sorry. My post was not meant to be one of those snide remarks about gays. My entire post was parody of speech of someone from NYC, especially Brooklyn-at least the Brooklyn, I remember. I am much older than you and that is how it would have been said--except instead of "gay". a less polite word would have been used. If you read the last line of my comedic prose, you would see the word "welcomed". I was trying to say that you would like Boulder and Boulder would like you.

I am very much a supported of Gays and their rights to exist peacefully in society. I think they contribute much in all areas of life. I lived with Gays; I worked with Gays; Gays help me, I help them; I enjoy my life with Gays. It is no big deal to me; Gay is nothing special to me nor odd to me; they are just part of the great human experience. When, I go out with my Gay Friends; we joke, we laugh; we make fun of each other--and you would blush over words we use--but that is among friends.

Like many groups striving for respect and identity, some are more sensitive than others and it never occurred to me that my words would have been taken another way--I am sorry.

Eh, Yo, listen to me...Do I haveto, slap you on da side of yar head--I luv ya.

Livecontent

Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM

229 posts, read 750,718 times
Quote:
I'm sure I'll adjust fairly well, certainly much better than if had to move to the fundie hell that is Colorado Springs. Who knows, I'd prolly get lynched there for being gay.
ugh - certainly a naive stereotype. Know several homosexuals down there that are doing just fine. That attitude is why so many people get annoyed by Boulder and call them hippiecrits.

I guess I immediately realized livecontent was joking as I am familiar with his posts. His apology was sincere and he actually has some of the best posts on car-free living if you search through his stuff.

Rent in downtown Boulder for a year and see how you like it. Try renting in Denver the next year if you don't. Get a bike for around town. Buy a junker car to get you into mountains or to visit other parts of the state - sounds like it could do you well.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
Quote:
Fitting in isn't what I'm after, I don't own pets, I don't care for Obama's centrism, and I don't advertise my politics, though I have nothing against bicycles (cheap or expensive).

As for the "Boulder experience," I see it has scarred. I'm sure I'll adjust fairly well, certainly much better than if had to move to the fundie hell that is Colorado Springs. Who knows, I'd prolly get lynched there for being gay.

Sorry my attempt humor apparently fell flat. I didn't mean you have to become another Boulder clone. It's a beautiful place but also has some of the most narcissistic faux liberal people I've ever seen (and I moved from L.A.). If that doesn't bother you, you'll love it.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,284 times
There is a solid gay men's scene in Denver. Not in Boulder. I guess it's the much larger and more urban overall population that makes the difference.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:

Let me get this straight: you announce you are Gay and want respect and be accepted. You bristle at my comments because you want to be noticed. However, you make narrow judgmental comments about Christians and their behavior.

Very Interesting. Professor, perhaps you need some education and even more so, life experience. Oh, I should tell you, I am an Atheist. Unfortunately, we stuff the Universities with too many single minded and "group thinking", so-called "liberal" Professors, who have a tough time understanding and accepting differences in ideas.

Livecontent

Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,398 times
Quote:
Hello all,

So, I'm another East Coaster moving to Boulder. I accepted a teaching position at CU (yay me!) and will be moving to the Boulder area over the summer. I've been reading the threads and they are informative, but I have some additional questions, so hopefully you can give me some good advice!

1. I have lived in NYC for the last seven years as I finished my PhD. I don't have a car. Would you say having a car is essential for the Boulder area?

2. If I do not purchase a car, is it essential that I live either in Boulder proper or in Denver? (ie., is it possible to live in one of the towns around Boulder and not use a car?). Boulder, I've noticed, is rather expensive, and while my salary as a prof will be alright, it's nothing to write home about! So, I'm wondering what towns around Boulder would be ideal for someone who is used to an urban environment but would like to also have a nice place to live for once in my life and not use a car! Oh, and I really really am opposed to living in tract-housing in suburbia. I'd like to be able to walk a short distance to cafes, etc.

3. I'm gay, and would really like living in an area where that's not an issue and people are open-minded and I feel comfortable. I have no idea what Colorado is like in this regard. Are there any obvious places I should rule out, or is the area a live and let-live kind of place?

4. Considering all of the above, people have been telling me to stick to Boulder, but the housing prices in Denver seem so much more affordable. Would the commute to CU be a pain? Is it worth the savings in rent to live in Denver and commute?

5. Finally, if I DO purchase or lease a car, any suggestions? I know everyone out there seems to have a Subaru, but are there any other cars suited for the terrain/environment that you would recommend (I plan on camping now and then, and skiing now and then, but am not really an avid winter sports person). Nothing super expensive. My last car was a Honda Civic, but I recall it had a real tough time going up the Colorado mountains during a cross-country trip.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions and responses!
Question #1: I wouldn't say that you NEED a car, but having one certainly helps in all situations. Doesn't need to be fancy, just needs to run.

#2: DON'T LIVE IN BOULDER PROPER. Live in Broomfield, Littleton, Denver, or Longmont. You might have to take the bus but living in Boulder can be a nightmare...

#3: Refer to part one of my response to #2. People there are VERY liberal and don't really seem to like people who don't agree with their views. As far as gays go Pueblo is the obvious choice to live in but that's out of the question unless you can get a transfer there. Longmont is probably your best bet for the 'sociability' factor (we were named an All American City after all).

#4: YES. Boulder is not worth living in unless you absolutely have to. Commuting from either Denver or Longmont along Highways 36 or 119 respectively is totally worth it. Longmont is the cheaper of the three cities anyways

#5: Subarus are very nice cars to have, especially considering the terrain. I personally have a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx http://www.autosite.com/images/2006/Chevrolet/Malibu_MaxxSS/400/2006_Chevrolet_Malibu_MaxxSS_exfrdrvr34.jpg (broken link) (photo) and it works perfectly in just about every situation I've been in so far. Other models I recommend are Dodge, Honda, and Toyota. If you like taking trips to the mountains then get a Dodge, Chevy, or Subaru, and remember to take it easy on the switchbacks and steep inclines (especially on the decent).

I hope this information helps and if you need any further information feel free to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area