Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 18,497 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,

i need some hometown views and help.. me and my boyfriend will be moving to the boulder area this june.. i have been doing research on apartments and homes for rent.. it has been driving me crazy, the apartments that look like they are well kept have horrible reviews with people stating never to live there ever again, and the other apartments that look atleast livable have even worse reviews .. from the research that i have done it looks as though to rent a nicely done house for rent is no less than $1500 .. we can afford at the most $1200, but even that is pushing it.. right now we subside in new jersey at the jersey shore and we are paying $1100 a month to live on the water so even though the house may be small it is worth it.. we also have to cats and i did find alot of places that allow pets..

so anyways what i am asking for is if anyone can give me any info on a nice place to live that i can research and see pictures.. it doesnt have to be up-to-date but atleast livable.. were new to the area (infact the whole west coast) so i dont know anyone and dont want to be in an aparment complex with alot of crime or vandalizim (i dont want to be scared to walk to my car at night..) even though there were alot of bad reviews for places it might actually be a good place.. please tell me everythingyou know..

Last edited by rookie88; 02-18-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,351 times
'were new to the area (infact the whole west coast)'

Well, I for one hope Colorado is never considered on the West Coast.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
try looking outside of Boulder. Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield,etc all will have lots of nice rentals in good areas in your price range. We temporarily rented a 2 bed 2 bath for $1000. Are you looking for a house or apt/townhome? Also if you see a place that looks nice post the address/area on here and someone will chime in. I don't think you'll have to be afraid to walk to your car in most neighborhoods. Crime is definitely not as bad here as the East.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
You are way off on Boulder rents, OP.

Rental houses in Boulder: bargain = $1,400 - 1,900. Nice, decent house = $2,200 +.

1 or 2 bedroom apartment in Boulder: $1,000+ Will have crappy features and serious downsides unless you pay MEGA$$$$$$$$$. Less than $1,000 will be a slum for sure.

Welcome to Boulder. Massive demand, moderate supply. Simple economics, or as Mark747 so wonderfully stated elsewhere, "too many people cramped into a small area and competing for the same few resources" causes problems, quality/cost of life problems. Great place, great weather, though.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
You are way off on Boulder rents, OP.

Rental houses in Boulder: bargain = $1,400 - 1,900. Nice, decent house = $2,200 +.

1 or 2 bedroom apartment in Boulder: $1,000+ Will have crappy features and serious downsides unless you pay MEGA$$$$$$$$$. Less than $1,000 will be a slum for sure.

Welcome to Boulder. Massive demand, moderate supply. Simple economics, or as Mark747 so wonderfully stated elsewhere, "too many people cramped into a small area and competing for the same few resources" causes problems, quality/cost of life problems. Great place, great weather, though.
Very true, can't think of the last time I saw a decent house in Boulder for under 2k a month.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
Most of the apartments in Boulder under $1000 are dumps. They just keep renting them to college kids and let them get run down. You can probably find a decent 1 BR for $1200.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,290 times
I have a nice, 2B 2Ba in Boulder for a bit less than $1000, allows pets, no undergrads. Look outside of the university/Pearl St area and you can find some lower prices on perfectly fine apartments. Try east or south Boulder in particular. Granite counters and bamboo floors, no; but clean, quiet, and kept-up - yes.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
'were new to the area (infact the whole west coast)'

Well, I for one hope Colorado is never considered on the West Coast.
sorry about that what i ment the west side of the country not the coast..

Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 AM

wow all this info is GREAT thank you everyone so much!! i have been doing alot more research and have realized everything you guys have been saying.. i've noticed the pattern of the low cost apartments closer to the college are a little crumbier..

through my search of towns i think i like superior and broomfield.. we are looking at townhomes and apartments but would prefer the townhome.. one of the places that we really liked was "horizon's at rock creek"..

another was :21 fitzsimons" in aurora or "ute creek"apartments in longmont??

Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 AM

377 posts, read 1,054,114 times
Are you going to be working in Boulder? Or going to school at CU? Just wondering how close you want/need to be to Boulder.

If you want to be in Boulder, I'd suggest looking around Gunbarrel (sort of the outskirts of the town) or South Boulder. As someone said, you don't need to be too worried about crime.

I know some folks at Ute Creek in Longmont who have been renting since September. So far, so good. It isn't super fancy though, and if I were working in Boulder I'd aim for someplace closer. (Superior would be a better commute.)

Oh, also take those review sites with a grain of salt. It seems like people write reviews to rant more than they write to say "I had a perfectly fine experience."

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area