Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,388 times

Advertisements

Old Town Longmont -- west side for the better schools although I live on the east side and like it. Honestly, I think it is more walkable and has more amenities than any of the others you listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 16,827 times
Thanks DressageRider. I will look into it. I hadn't yet because of (1) comments on City Data about area crime and (2) remoteness from other job centers (in case I decide to get a job, too). That said, I'm really clueless about Longmont, so feel free to correct me!

Thanks!
sdmomto2

Edited to add: I briefly looked into Old Town - it's beautiful! Schools are ok; there appears to be a great charter school nearby. Crime stats appear to be mostly vandalism/criminal mischief, not violent. Two concerns remain -- number of convicted sex offenders in the area (not sure where, exactly, we'd get away from this...) and number of kids in the vicinity. Do you happen to know if there are a lot of kids that live in that area (just by observation)?

Last edited by sdmomto2; 04-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Learned more!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
I'm going to chime in on the Longmont and crime thing. It's over blown and no worse than any other town on the front range.

The commute for your husband if you live on the s.w. side of Longmont would be a breeze.

I live on the s.w. side beside a huge park that connects to a greenbelt. Many houses over there within walking distance of the elementary, middle, and high school. Kids take the greenbelt to school on their bikes, etc. Many, many moms walking their kids too and from school along it each day (I walk our dog every day on it).

I am within walking distance of King Soopers, Target, Home Depot, many little shops, restaurants, JC Penny, Kohls, Petsmart. List goes on. We just walked to Petsmart with our dog the other day.

The schools on this side of town are very, very good - you just need to be careful because of where the line is drawn. All the schools are good, but you won't be within walking distance.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Where we live, there are a ton of young families moving in. It has been really great for us -- we just had a baby last year. We have made many friends within a 3 block radius (mostly in their 30s, but some younger, some older) who have babies and young kids. I am in the historic east side, as I said, but I know this is the case for the historic west side too.

Commuting into Boulder from Longmont is quite easy -- especially if you can take the BOLT (bus). My husband commutes into Denver twice a week by bus as well. Pretty easy, but I wouldn't want to do it every day.

We are within blocks of the library, several cafes, post office, quite a few restaurants, and many parks. I've had thoughts of moving (bigger house, etc) and I just hate the idea of living in less walkable neighborhood. I especially love the old houses and the huge trees (hate the raking though!) I can't stand the idea of living in a house built after 1935.

I do have concerns about the schools. But we shall see as we get closer...

Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM

58 posts, read 166,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
My husband commutes into Denver twice a week by bus as well. Pretty easy, but I wouldn't want to do it every day.
Out of curiosity, how long does the commute via RTD take? I'm guessing 1 hour plus, but also suppose it depends on where you get on the bus.

thanks!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2 View Post
Out of curiosity, how long does the commute via RTD take? I'm guessing 1 hour plus, but also suppose it depends on where you get on the bus.

thanks!
Sure! He gets on the bus at 6th & Main. The bus ride is 50 minutes (the express route) to Union Station. He works right near there.

The bus has been extremely timely and reliable!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM

58 posts, read 166,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
Sure! He gets on the bus at 6th & Main. The bus ride is 50 minutes (the express route) to Union Station. He works right near there.

The bus has been extremely timely and reliable!
Good to know! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area