Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM

79 posts, read 143,801 times

Advertisements

"No Growth" Boulder will also outsource residential sprawl to surrounding areas like Longmont and Louisville with this news. Hypocrisy at its finest.

10 best cities for the next decade; smart people, great ideas - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM

724 posts, read 1,933,875 times
I read that - I lived in Austin for a year, and I have to agree with them - it's a blast. Easy to live, affordable, young. Lots of fun and for my line of work, lots of opportunity. The only drawback was it was in Texas.

Has anyone here lived in Austin and Boulder? I'd love to hear a comparison.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
"No Growth" Boulder will also outsource residential sprawl to surrounding areas like Longmont and Louisville with this news. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Boulder's not forcing Longmont or Louisville to develop. That's purely up to the people in those cities.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 8,512 times
Default Rankings

I've also heard that but also enjoy Austin so not sure which is better

Old 05-28-2010, 01:04 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post

That's absurd. Longmont and Louisville could also adopt some policies to control their growth (as could many cities in Colorado) which frankly would be good for the whole state (and actually start to keep housing prices in check.)

Anyway, the alternative is for Boulder to allow the sprawl until it spreads right into Longmont and Louisville. I don't see how that makes anything better. It's a "best place to live" for a reason.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
I know several people who've lived in both cities and have enjoyed them both. Simplified, some prefer Austin because of the great music scene and because they love hot weather and don't mind the humidity. Some prefer Boulder because they want all 4 seasons, drier climate, and love being near the mountains.
People compare them because they seem to have similar political ideology... but that's really about it. It is comparing apples to oranges.
The population of Austin is 757,688 vs Boulder 94,171 (in 2008 according to C-D). It's a bigger city size-wise with traffic issues much worse than Boulder. The number of students attending UT is ~50,000 while the enrollment at CU is ~30,000. Taxes are higher in Texas because there is no state tax.
I visited Austin often back in the 80s. I loved it, it was fun and had a great vibe. I lived in Boulder at the time and never thought of them as being similar in any way, really. (BTW I prefer Boulder )

Old 05-28-2010, 04:33 PM

724 posts, read 1,933,875 times
Longmont and Louisville could also adopt some policies to control their growth (as could many cities in Colorado) which frankly would be good for the whole state (and actually start to keep housing prices in check.)

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't policies to control growth drive UP home prices? Limited supply and increasing demands, and all that?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 11,297 times
Boulder's early city planning recognized how unique the area is and planned open space so it didn't become just another sprawling city.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-12-2011 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Realtor links not allowed.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
Longmont and Louisville could also adopt some policies to control their growth (as could many cities in Colorado) which frankly would be good for the whole state (and actually start to keep housing prices in check.)

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't policies to control growth drive UP home prices? Limited supply and increasing demands, and all that?
That depends entirely on how the policies are exercised. If cities of certain area/density/population statewide exercised certain practices (restructured property tax incentives in exchange for providing lower rents / more affordable property values) along with a careful analysis of how to manage density (density does not always mean bodies stacked in the most efficient box possible, but can in fact be realized using human scale interactions...design, placement of parks, getting away from our boxy / grid oriented way of doing things for *everything*) , then it can actually keep provide improved diversity of economy.

Gonna stop at that since it's not the theme of the thread, but welcome continued discussion in another thread / forum.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
That's absurd. Longmont and Louisville could also adopt some policies to control their growth (as could many cities in Colorado) which frankly would be good for the whole state (and actually start to keep housing prices in check.)

Anyway, the alternative is for Boulder to allow the sprawl until it spreads right into Longmont and Louisville. I don't see how that makes anything better. It's a "best place to live" for a reason.
First of all, these "best places" lists are a bunch of hooey. Louisville itself was named one by Money Magazine in several years of the recent past, including #1 just last year.

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Louisville, CO snapshot

Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: Louisville, CO - from MONEY Magazine

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2005: Louisville, CO snapshot

Secondly, what makes you think Louisville and Longmont don't have any kind of planning? I can't speak for Longmont, but Louisville has had a comp plan for years, and "buildout" has long been planned for ~20,000 residents.

City of Louisville, Colorado - Comprehensive Plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area