U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,749,946 times

Advertisements

Hatton now also claims Pacquiao may be taking drugs | ABS-CBN News Online Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS-CBNNews.com
Hatton, who has stayed away from boxing since getting knocked out by Pacquiao, said he should have made the same blood testing demand as Floyd Mayweather Jr., whose fight against Pacquiao fell through last year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM

9,863 posts, read 19,761,777 times
Of course he's going to say that, he got stretched out like a corpse in the middle of the ring. Hatton's been overrated and along for the ride. The ride is over.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,245,640 times
please excuse my ignorance here, but i've been hearing all these "juicing" rumors about Pacquiao, and haven't really looked much into the accusations...

can someone shed some light for me? i know you can't really assume b/c of an athlete's build that he or she is juicing, but other than Pacquiao's build, is there any relevance to the rumors??

a quick google search shows that he's never failed a steroid test, are they arguing that he's taking some kind of short acting drug, that may clear the system in time for the testing??

thanks...

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

232 posts, read 520,918 times
Many of his opponents have said they just don't see his punches coming.

If you watch Pacquiao's fights, he is quick, but he is not speed-demon fast. He's certainly substantially faster than other fighters in his class.

The Filipino fighting arts are famous for drilling on triangle footwork -- it is his footwork that puts him in a position where he is harder to see. "The punch you don't see is the punch that knocks you out."

Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 AM

It goes back to Roger Mayweather who first stated that there is no way Manny could move up so many weight classes in a short amount of time and not lose any speed and still remain lean and muscular. Then he accused him of using some sort of drug (A-side meth) that the Filipino soldiers used during WWII, claiming they were walking through .45 slugs after being shot and killing U.S. soldiers. Bold claims from someone who is a coke addict himself.

Fact remains that the first time around, Manny and Co. agreed to three blood tests...one after the press conference, one 30 days prior to the fight, and one immediately after the fight. Floyd pressed the issue and demanded 14 days prior. Manny told him to go pound sand. What's funny is that there is no steroid out there that Manny could have used within that 30 day window prior to the fight that would have given him any sort of edge and still gone undetected. You have to use that stuff for at least 3 - 6 months for it to have any advantage. Now, Manny agrees to the 14 day test and the silence of Mayweather's camp is deafening.

As far as Hatton goes, he wants a rematch with Mayweather, so it makes sense that he'd align himself with Floyd's school of thought. He obviously doesn't want any more of Manny, why take another thrashing like that when you can make the same money playing it safe with Pitty-pat Floyd? If I were him I'd rather earn my payday chasing Floyd around the ring for another ten rounds rather then get my head twisted around by Manny in two.

Bottom line, Hatton was always overrated. His best win came over a washed up Kostya Tszyu. Who else did he beat, a washed up Castillo, Pauli Malignaggi, and Juan Lazcano? He's a notch above Gatti, and a notch below Cotto. Let him pad his record with some more washed up champions who are past their prime and no longer a threat.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It goes back to Roger Mayweather who first stated that there is no way Manny could move up so many weight classes in a short amount of time and not lose any speed and still remain lean and muscular. Then he accused him of using some sort of drug (A-side meth) that the Filipino soldiers used during WWII, claiming they were walking through .45 slugs after being shot and killing U.S. soldiers. Bold claims from someone who is a coke addict himself.

Fact remains that the first time around, Manny and Co. agreed to three blood tests...one after the press conference, one 30 days prior to the fight, and one immediately after the fight. Floyd pressed the issue and demanded 14 days prior. Manny told him to go pound sand. What's funny is that there is no steroid out there that Manny could have used within that 30 day window prior to the fight that would have given him any sort of edge and still gone undetected. You have to use that stuff for at least 3 - 6 months for it to have any advantage. Now, Manny agrees to the 14 day test and the silence of Mayweather's camp is deafening.

As far as Hatton goes, he wants a rematch with Mayweather, so it makes sense that he'd align himself with Floyd's school of thought. He obviously doesn't want any more of Manny, why take another thrashing like that when you can make the same money playing it safe with Pitty-pat Floyd? If I were him I'd rather earn my payday chasing Floyd around the ring for another ten rounds rather then get my head twisted around by Manny in two.

Bottom line, Hatton was always overrated. His best win came over a washed up Kostya Tszyu. Who else did he beat, a washed up Castillo, Pauli Malignaggi, and Juan Lazcano? He's a notch above Gatti, and a notch below Cotto. Let him pad his record with some more washed up champions who are past their prime and no longer a threat.
man, i appreciate the info...sounds like a mess, it's a shame that it's even a question...the fans want a fight, and to get caught up in this "steroidgate" similar to baseball does nothing but wreck the fans...

one thing i'de like to add about steroids/testosterone, and you may or may not already know this...but, about the timing, there are steroids which one could use, possibly up to 30 days prior to testing, and still be clean...Testosterone suspension is water based, and begins it's effectiveness within days, and your testosterone levels will drop to normal within days after your last injection...so, if this hasn't already been covered, it would leave some doubt if testing isn't done a week or two prior to the bout.

it's a sad day in sports as a whole, when you have athletes willing to cheat for the purpose of succeeding beyond their natural capabilities...there really needs to be stricter testing, keeping up to date with the steroid world, in order to ensure an even playing field...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,749,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
please excuse my ignorance here, but i've been hearing all these "juicing" rumors about Pacquiao, and haven't really looked much into the accusations...

can someone shed some light for me? i know you can't really assume b/c of an athlete's build that he or she is juicing, but other than Pacquiao's build, is there any relevance to the rumors??

a quick google search shows that he's never failed a steroid test, are they arguing that he's taking some kind of short acting drug, that may clear the system in time for the testing??

thanks...
The build is the biggest deal. I mean:

BREAKING NEWS!!! Manny Pacquiao Camp Asked To Have RESULTS OF STEROIDS TEST KEPT QUIET . . . Wanted To Know WHAT WOULD HAPPEN If He FAILED!!! (Evidence Inside) - MediaTakeOut.com™ 2010

Picture at the top - ignore the ignorance of the comments.

Then there's his punch speed which is just so dang fast, the fact he doesn't seem to tire nearly as easily with all of the punching he does, and as fighters have commented, his punching power seems to belie his frame. I don't know if he's juicing or not - but for me it's the muscle mass. Especially when he first entered the sport compared to now.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
The build is the biggest deal. I mean:

BREAKING NEWS!!! Manny Pacquiao Camp Asked To Have RESULTS OF STEROIDS TEST KEPT QUIET . . . Wanted To Know WHAT WOULD HAPPEN If He FAILED!!! (Evidence Inside) - MediaTakeOut.com™ 2010

Picture at the top - ignore the ignorance of the comments.

Then there's his punch speed which is just so dang fast, the fact he doesn't seem to tire nearly as easily with all of the punching he does, and as fighters have commented, his punching power seems to belie his frame. I don't know if he's juicing or not - but for me it's the muscle mass. Especially when he first entered the sport compared to now.
first off, i withhold judgement until there's reason to doubt...as in a failed steroid test.

secondly, he's obviously gifted physically...looking at those pictures, i don't see hard evidence of juicing...he's put on weight, but with his size and genetics, it could be done easily with training and diet...especially since he's got the money to afford all the help he needs.

also, juicing alone will not improve endurance, and to the contrary, juicing could actually hinder your endurance...

i think the onus is on whoever makes the rules about the testing and the timing of those tests...if they don't do their job, the question will always be there...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
first off, i withhold judgement until there's reason to doubt...as in a failed steroid test.

secondly, he's obviously gifted physically...looking at those pictures, i don't see hard evidence of juicing...he's put on weight, but with his size and genetics, it could be done easily with training and diet...especially since he's got the money to afford all the help he needs.

also, juicing alone will not improve endurance, and to the contrary, juicing could actually hinder your endurance...

i think the onus is on whoever makes the rules about the testing and the timing of those tests...if they don't do their job, the question will always be there...
I agree. I fail to see how anyone can say someone is "too fast" so they must be juicing. No one ever accused Bruce Lee of juicing, and he has a very similar frame and build to Manny. Lee was fast and powerful, much the way Manny is, and yet all it takes is one coke addicted trainer to make accusations and we have people speculating and cherry picking possibilities. Never before has anyone questioned someone's abilities to the degree that they question Manny's, and to me that speaks volumes for his ability and how intimidated some of the other fighters are, particularly the Mayweather camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing