Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times

Advertisements

Boxing isnt dead, yet its not attracting the fans like the UFC/MMA world is. For 40 bucks you might get 3 good fights on a boxing Pay Per view, some are even 49 bucks. Now in the MMA world ( Mixed martial arts ) UFC for 40 bucks you will get at least 6 to 7 exciting fights, and ask the average person to name 3 top active boxers, its not so easy unless your a fan. In the UFC i hear the young & older people mentioning names so easy.

Here in Vegas the UFC is doing much much better then boxing, when we moved here 11 years ago there was at least 8 good boxing gyms here, now there is 2. And there are at least 8-10 very good UFC/MMA gyms that teach kids from 5 to adults.

I say the UFC will stay ahead of boxing. I still watch boxing but i cant afford to pay for all the fights on Pay per view.

Seems like since Tyson went away boxing sort of sizzled out some.

I agree though tonights fight(Hatton V Castillo) should be real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avici View Post
Boxing isn't dead. It just needs an organization (ala UFC). That likely won't happen for another five years.

UFC is more closer to wrestling than boxing if you ask me. It's real but sometimes they cross-promote with TNA and I just don't like seeing that.

Hatton V Castillo is tonight. Should be a great fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Not a bad fight until Hatton landed a sweet left hook to the liver that Castillo couldn't recover from.

Castillo looked sluggish and slow compared to his last couple of fights.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:21 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
Many say that the sport of boxing is dying and is being replaced by UFC. Will boxing survive??? What are some solutions in making boxing exciting again??

If I don't get many replies then boxing might be dead afterall.
We can only hope it's dead - what's sporting about pugilism? Two grown men beating each other with their fists...yep, sounds like an evolved society sport to me....sorry, guys, I always have and always will think this is just horrible. Beating someone until they can't get up or see or think or until they are bleeding badly? It's not as bad as staged "world federation wrestling" but heavens....beating someone with your fists? Street fighting moved inside a "legal" ring makes it no less a couple of thugs slugging it out. Remember when dueling died? Hopefully, boxing with follow the same path. Too much violence in the world already, why call it a sport?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 AM

715 posts, read 1,669,687 times
De La Hoya v Mayweather had over 2 million PPV buys...when MMA does something like that, we'll talk.

In my opinion, MMA is terrible. Everytime I've watched, it looks like 2 dudes in the missionary position until someone says "uncle". At least in boxing, the guys actually stand there and fight instead of spooning on the ground.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 23,316 times
I can tell a lot about who Sam I Am is just by reading his post.

Why do you think it's done? You sound like an individual who doesn't get what life is about. To be honest.

For that matter, let's bring up football. Why throw the ball down the field until they score? And tackle each other, giving them concussions?

I don't think that way about football, but that's basically the same argument.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Boxing is a sport, always was.

Avici,

I agree. Just recently there was a program on real sports HBO about football players with permanent brain damage from all the concussions of football, a few years back there was a separate program about baseball, Hockey & football players having serious joint problems ( Arthitis ) after they retire.

All those sports are contact sports, I'm not saying boxing is a sport of peace, but life is short so enjoy it a little. If boxing bothers you, don't watch it, and don't complain.

Thanks

Quote:

Why do you think it's done? You sound like an individual who doesn't get what life is about. To be honest.

For that matter, let's bring up football. Why throw the ball down the field until they score? And tackle each other, giving them concussions?

I don't think that way about football, but that's basically the same argument.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Default MMA vs boxing

I disagree but wont sit here and argue because not everybody likes every sport, some people i know like boxing, some say its so boring, some love baseball, me i'm not a big fan. I do like boxing alot, actually a pretty big fan, but i think they need to stop putting so many smaller fights on PPV, i guess its a money thing.

but yes no MMA fight will hit 2 million buys anytime soon, maybe never. But how often does boxing have good big quality fights? Maybe one good one every few months, but i MMA we have a good event monthly on top of the free spike tv show they have.

Once Mayweather and dela hoya retire there wont be another maga boxing star for awhile. To be honest i thought the Hoya vs mayweather fights was a boring fight, every round looked the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
De La Hoya v Mayweather had over 2 million PPV buys...when MMA does something like that, we'll talk.

In my opinion, MMA is terrible. Everytime I've watched, it looks like 2 dudes in the missionary position until someone says "uncle". At least in boxing, the guys actually stand there and fight instead of spooning on the ground.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear who you think I am - I doubt that's it...for one thing, I ain't no him! NOW do you understand? I don't have that mysterious Y chromosome!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:38 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
To be honest i thought the Hoya vs mayweather fights was a boring fight, every round looked the same.
You are right, it was boring. But with 2 million buys, it just shows you that Americans are still interested and that they really want the sport to make a comeback. Everybody loves a BIG fight, not just fight fans.....boxing is down now, but as soon as a major star emerges or another major rivalry comes about, the sport will be back.

maybe hatton v mayweather???

Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 23,316 times
Mayweather won't fight him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing